Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: BUG REPORTS & INSTALLATION PROBLEMS | POST HERE!!!

tornnight's Avatar Forum Bot

Default Re: Bug Reports

Thats one of those things thats really hard to figure out. Oftentimes it's an issue with your hardware or drivers. Could be anything from memory to video card to video drivers to simply a system that heated up too much.

The best clue is the message that is given at blue screen and the system information you get from windows when you come up again. It usually tells you what module failed and caused the reboot. Almost always its a driver.
    "The first casualty when war comes, is truth." - Hiram Johnson
    Developer of The Long Road Modification

I'm still a bit bewildered by some of the unit balance, in a purely hand to hand 1 on 1 scenario peasant archers beat levy spearmen, for example.
    Popular superstition is still superstition.

Thanks I'll check it out.

My first attempt at a 2.0 campaign, click on Venice (map screen) and get rewarded with a CTD. This is a fresh install of 2.0 having deleted 1.9.9 using the uninstall. Repeatable too.

i installed TLR 2.0 over TLR 1.9.9, and i have no problems...

Tornnight, i don't know where to write this. It's not a bug, but a feature. The player is able to build paved roads when the the city is upgraded to stone wall. But he cannot build paved roads in provinces with a stone castle, which are triggered by the same event as cities with stone walls. In my spanish campaign i have paved roads in every province, except in those with castles. Maybe you would adress this issue in the next release. Thank you.

Ok, unit balance for knife wielding men is off. They are too powerful. This covers bowmen in melee and siege handlers, and highland rabble.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stanbridge View Post
    My first attempt at a 2.0 campaign, click on Venice (map screen) and get rewarded with a CTD. This is a fresh install of 2.0 having deleted 1.9.9 using the uninstall. Repeatable too.
    Hmm. Dunno. Did you check and see if all the files were removed after the uninstall?

Quote Originally Posted by ciciocle View Post
    i installed TLR 2.0 over TLR 1.9.9, and i have no problems...

Tornnight, i don't know where to write this. It's not a bug, but a feature. The player is able to build paved roads when the the city is upgraded to stone wall. But he cannot build paved roads in provinces with a stone castle, which are triggered by the same event as cities with stone walls. In my spanish campaign i have paved roads in every province, except in those with castles. Maybe you would adress this issue in the next release. Thank you.
    Fixed thanks.

I mentioned this before, but it doesn't seem to have been addressed. For some reason, most of the mouse-over text doesn't work for me in TLR 2.0.0. This is annoying, because it's the easiest way to find out how much a building or unit costs, how long it will take to produce, etc. and the only way to find out what bonuses and penalties result from retinue and attributes on characters.

The mouse-overs on the actual 3D map view all seem to work fine, but all the ones on the 2D interface elements don't seem to work.

Is this a known bug? If so, are there any workarounds? If not, is there any kind of data I can provide which will help you debug the problem and fix it in the next update?

Quote Originally Posted by tornnight View Post
    Hmm. Dunno. Did you check and see if all the files were removed after the uninstall?
    I did yes, although I was having some weird issues with my laptop and the Vista installation so I have since reinstalled. Will try again later, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HeruFeanor View Post
    I mentioned this before, but it doesn't seem to have been addressed. For some reason, most of the mouse-over text doesn't work for me in TLR 2.0.0. This is annoying, because it's the easiest way to find out how much a building or unit costs, how long it will take to produce, etc. and the only way to find out what bonuses and penalties result from retinue and attributes on characters.

The mouse-overs on the actual 3D map view all seem to work fine, but all the ones on the 2D interface elements don't seem to work.

Is this a known bug? If so, are there any workarounds? If not, is there any kind of data I can provide which will help you debug the problem and fix it in the next update?
    Just a thought here, you do realise these mouse overs can be turned on and off? I inadvertently discovered a similar problem when ALT-FUNCTION was pressed on my laptop - it would bring up the console and remove the mouseover text!

Hi, I´m pretty new here.... First to say, I LOVE "The long Road".... but I´m a it frustrated. I installed the 2.0 Version with 1.2 Patch. When I startd a campaign the System throws me back to windows when I try to select a diplomat,army or town... what should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ryder View Post
    Hi, I´m pretty new here.... First to say, I LOVE "The long Road".... but I´m a it frustrated. I installed the 2.0 Version with 1.2 Patch. When I startd a campaign the System throws me back to windows when I try to select a diplomat,army or town... what should I do?
    I've just had a similar crash to desktop - reported above. I just reinstalled Windows and the game is running smoothly now so whatever the problem is a reinstallation of the game might help (as a miniumum). It could be something to do with the .net installation as well.

hi

i'm french so sorry for my bad english

i have a little problem too but i think i have find the solution.
    i have instaled the game properly with 1.2 patch, and instal also The long road last version plus addon, great mod by the way.
    I start a new game with the England kingdom, yes i love "robin des bois" or robin wood maybe in your language, and after many turn i click on an scotish general and then CTD (few i love attack my own country !!!)

So i see the log and there is the error :

16:21:12.171 [game.script] [error] Script execution error for <console_command>, at line 70, in The_Long_Road/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt:
    remove_ancillary this leadership_anc
    err: character not found

16:25:06.984 [game.script] [error] Script execution error for <console_command>, at line 70, in The_Long_Road/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt:
    remove_ancillary this leadership_anc
    err: character not found

16:27:44.171 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War a rencontré une erreur inconnue et va maintenant se fermer.

So i go see campaign_script.txt at line 70 and when i compare to the other line i see diference :

monitor_event CharacterTurnEnd FactionIsLocal
    and IsFactionLeader
    and EndedInSettlement
    and Trait Leadership > 5
    and FactionwideAncillaryExists leadership_anc5

e_select_character
    console_command remove_ancillary this leadership_anc
    end_monitor

i think the "5" after leadership_anc is missing because there is a number after all the other next and before but the error is missing character and not missing ancillary ...

maybe i'm wrong, yes jeanne d'arc was french after all no?
    sorry french humor ...

if it's a real error ... i'm a genius and french will rules the world.... hum ... maybe :p

(i'm going to test it)

sorry another time for my english ... :S

edit : tested ... not the right error :'(

the log don't say anymore the others errors but the game crash when i click on a scotish general :S

there is only this : 17:05:33.546 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War a rencontré une erreur inconnue et va maintenant se fermer.

in english Medieval 2: Total war has encounter an error unknown and is going to close now

maybe it's the error with the sound find with non english versions of the game
    but there is nowhere question of sound :S
    Last edited by Julian; June 04, 2007 at 10:11 AM.

Well The Faction I had chosen was the new russian faction between Novgorod and Byzanz. And I didn´t get any Errorlog at all... only back to my Desktop... hope someone can help me.

the log i see is in \Medieval II Total War\logs folder
    his name is : The_Long_Road.log.txt

maybe it's the same error because it's when we click on a character
    when the error happen, i heard a "bip" and the screen turn black and after some seconds its turn back to the desktop
    is it the same for you?

EDIT : i have resolve my problem ...
    i realize i'm not a genius ( what a surprise )

because when i think i had change the event.idx and .dat from MT2 to TLR (as it is explain here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...aracter+-found )
    i have in reality change from TLR to MT2 ( hard to explain sorry ... ) ... if you understand my error you will known why i feel that stupid ...

happy ending for me ! you can try it (if you haven't already do)
    Last edited by Julian; June 04, 2007 at 11:02 AM.

Hmm, I can't say I have any clue what's wrong. It works just fine on my system.

I highly doubt that this is the problem but,
    you could try deleting /The_Long_Road/data/text/strat.txt.strings.bin and /The_Long_Road/data/text/strat.txt

Make sure you save a backup.

Those contain text for everything including mouseovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ryder View Post
    Yep that unfortunately is a known issue. See the above post. Or the link on the Download page under Known Issues.

If anyone ever finds a clean solution to the problem, please post. I can't even really test it since it only happens on Non-English versions.

Quote Originally Posted by tornnight View Post
    Hmm, which method do you use to start? Do you click on the shortcuts on the start menu?
    I have tried both the shortcut from the start menu and I have tried the batch from inside the medieval folder.

Well it shouldn't create any dos shells when starting from the start menu.

That is unless you have an old shortcut from a previous version.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stanbridge View Post
    Just a thought here, you do realise these mouse overs can be turned on and off? I inadvertently discovered a similar problem when ALT-FUNCTION was pressed on my laptop - it would bring up the console and remove the mouseover text!
    No, I didn't, but I can't find this option. I checked all the options I could find in the options menus, and looked up a list of console commands. Where do I go to toggle the mouse-overs on and off?

Quote Originally Posted by tornnight
    I highly doubt that this is the problem but,
    you could try deleting /The_Long_Road/data/text/strat.txt.strings.bin and /The_Long_Road/data/text/strat.txt
    Your doubts were well-founded, apparently. That didn't fix the problem. :-(
    Last edited by HeruFeanor; June 04, 2007 at 11:48 PM.

Lord Finga's Avatar Decanus

No, I didn't, but I can't find this option. I checked all the options I could find in the options menus, and looked up a list of console commands. Where do I go to toggle the mouse-overs on and off?
    (
    you can find this option in the medieval2.preferences.cfg (think it was *.cfg, but not sure, as i'm typing this in university and not at home). search for show_tooltips or something similar. you can't miss it.

INVENTOR OF THE SettlementOccupiedScript v08 #4(SOS) for dlv 3.0
    INVENTOR OF THE ChangeCapital v2.04 for dlv 5.2