Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naval vnv addon mini-mod v1.1

Hephaistos's Avatar Tiro

Default Naval vnv addon mini-mod v1.1

For I think admirals are plain and boring in vanilla game, I have created a mini-mod to make them more interesting. This mod is recomended to be combinated with other vnv mods like Orientis vnv fixes and BBB from dearmad and pnutmaster.

For more informations and download please have a look here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1411

I will gratefully take any constructive advice and ideas on how to improve this mod.
    Last edited by Hephaistos; May 30, 2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Update

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Default Re: Naval vnv addon mini-mod

Sounds interesting. I agree that admirals are pretty boring. Why don't you list some of the new traits you've come up with?

Zephrelial's Avatar Eternal Sorrow
    An ancient castle on a steep windy mountain peak.. away from all mortal eyes...

Hello Hephaistos.. Long time no see. Let me congratulate you about releasing this..and wishing you good luck about the mod
    Shine on you crazy diamond...

Hephaistos's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Zephrelial View Post
    Hello Hephaistos.. Long time no see. Let me congratulate you about releasing this..and wishing you good luck about the mod
    Thanks for the wishes. But you know, I will contact you, if I need help with the mod. Or was that the intention of the good wishes to prevent this?

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel View Post
    Why don't you list some of the new traits you've come up with?
    I won't list all new traits, because I want to have some surprises preserved. Some traits I allready listed in the download area:

- New ancillaries for admirals like compasses, fall guys and historical persons like Alvise Catamosto.
    - New traits for admirals like marriage, nearsight and pirate hunter.
    - A system of naval ranks, which are not historical correct but do add much role play.

I'd like to implement more traits and ancillaries, but the problem is that admirals only have very few attributes, which can be affected by traits (naval command, movement points and probably line of sight and command whenn deffending/attacking). And also do quite few conditions for triggers work for admirals. So any suggestions and ideas are very wellcome, especially those, which will only habe role play effects.

Ieuano's Avatar Decanus

im liking very much, some triat ideas are

Smuggler - effects port incomes somehow?
    Sea Titles such as First Lord of the Sea
    Salt in the Blood?
    Captured enemy admiral flag, kill an enemy admiral who has the flag and the killer gets the flag
    Wheres all the Rum Gone trait
    and can Scurvy from BBB can be adapted for admirals?
    Total Rep = Unknown???? who will +rep me to the crown, whomever it is will get a mystery prize! or will they...

IMO this is not a good idea. For one simple reason. You cannot merge navies that have admirals with traits.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

GODzilla's Avatar Civitate

Mhm...so may use this topic to ask a question about VnV mods in general: Is there any VnV mod that is compatible to patch 1.2? I abandoned all VnV mods in order not to mess up my v1.2 game...
    GODzilla(TM)
    son of the family of Wilpuri under the patronage of makanyane

Hephaistos's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier View Post
    IMO this is not a good idea. For one simple reason. You cannot merge navies that have admirals with traits.
    Yes, that ist the downside of this mod. But in vanilla game I also had very often the problem, not to be able to merge fleets. Now I played a campaign with this mod and I didn't found it very disturbing.

You have to decide what is more important to you: More interesting admirals or the slightly better chance to merge fleets. You don't have to use the mod, if you don't like it, but this doesn't make the mod bad in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Ieuano View Post
    im liking very much, some triat ideas are

Smuggler - effects port incomes somehow?
    I allready thought about creating a "pirate" trait for admirals, when admirals often blockarde ports. But I wasn't able to find trigger conditions to make this work. But it is possible to create a trait for family members, when he is governeur he has to fight with smugglers. An interesting idea. I have no detailed idea for this, but I will think about it.
    Sea Titles such as First Lord of the Sea
    Salt in the Blood?
    I allready have a title like first Lord. It is an ancillary one admiral of high rank can get, which will make him "admiral of the sea". Salt in blood sounds interesting and I will think about this. Do you have a more detailed idea, what it should do?
    Captured enemy admiral flag, kill an enemy admiral who has the flag and the killer gets the flag
    Wheres all the Rum Gone trait
    I like both ideas, and I will try to implement them. For this rum trait I am just getting an idea.
    and can Scurvy from BBB can be adapted for admirals?
    Well, I just had a detailed look at this. For sure none of the triggers of Pnutmaster will work for admirals. I can think about new triggers, but they would be quite simple for admirals. So I am not sure, if this would be nearly as interesting as for family members. And I also would have to ask Pnutmaster first, if he does allow to steal his idea. I think, I will try to implement the other ideas first.

Thank you very much for the ideas.

Hephaistos's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by GODzilla View Post
    Mhm...so may use this topic to ask a question about VnV mods in general: Is there any VnV mod that is compatible to patch 1.2? I abandoned all VnV mods in order not to mess up my v1.2 game...
    Dearmad and Pnutmaster are actually working for a new version of BBB, which will be compatible with 1.2. Right now I am plying with the old version of BBB with 1.2 and it is acceptable. As far as I know there is no other 1.2 compatible vnv mod.

However, my small addon is 1.2 compatible.

Ieuano's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaistos View Post
    Salt in blood sounds interesting and I will think about this. Do you have a more detailed idea, what it should do?
    one way is impossible i think, admiral's with children, if your dad was an admiral youd get the trait, maybe it would work if your general gets the trait so it adds bonuses when hes on a boat?

Another way would be a simple trait such as having a 'merchant background' so hes used to boats which goves him a command star?

Thirdly it would be based on how much time spent at sea, like the xxx years
    campaigning trait for DLV, except its for admirals.

three different ideas, take your pic!

Thank you very much for the ideas.
    no problem! and good luck with the mod!
    Total Rep = Unknown???? who will +rep me to the crown, whomever it is will get a mystery prize! or will they...

Hephaistos's Avatar Tiro

one way is impossible i think, admiral's with children, if your dad was an admiral youd get the trait, maybe it would work if your general gets the trait so it adds bonuses when hes on a boat?

Another way would be a simple trait such as having a 'merchant background' so hes used to boats which goves him a command star?

Thirdly it would be based on how much time spent at sea, like the xxx years
    campaigning trait for DLV, except its for admirals.

three different ideas, take your pic!

no problem! and good luck with the mod!
    I allready had another idea with merchant background. The other two ideas could be difficult to trigger. But I just implemented "all the rum has gone" so I won't rest, until I have implemented this one, too.

Ieuano's Avatar Decanus

thanks! cant wait to see this rum trait in action!

Yes, that ist the downside of this mod. But in vanilla game I also had very often the problem, not to be able to merge fleets. Now I played a campaign with this mod and I didn't found it very disturbing.
    You could have interesting admirals and keep fleet merging chances the same, by only allowing the new traits to be aquired by admirals that already had a trait/ancillary. Then this mod would be great!

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Hephaistos's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier View Post
    You could have interesting admirals and keep fleet merging chances the same, by only allowing the new traits to be aquired by admirals that already had a trait/ancillary. Then this mod would be great!
    Actually that was my plan. At first I programmed the trigger in this way, that the rank of "captain" was given to an admiral after 5 rounds. All other traits and ancillaries were triggered only to be given after the admiral is in the rank of a captain. So you would have 5 rounds to merge your fleets again.

For some reasons I do not fully understand, this did not work. After only one turn it wasn't possible to merge fleets, while none of the admirals hat any traits or ancillaries. Because of this I decided to change the triggers and to live with this unpleasant fact.

Hephaistos's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Naval vnv addon mini-mod v1.1

Just uploaded version 1.1.

Changes in this version:
    - done some rebalancing (changed triggers), because ancillaries appeared too often
    - added new traits and titles (e.g. "Where is all the rum gone", "Grew up with sailor's yarn", "High Lord Admiral")
    - added traits regarding the Hanseatic League and smuggling
    - fixed a few triggers of the vanilla game, which did not work

Have fun with the mini-mod and as allways: I will gratefully take any constructive advice and ideas on how to improve this mod.

Hephaistos's Avatar Tiro

Some small bugfixes done. Version 1.11 uploaded.

tornnight's Avatar Forum Bot

Can I suggest a change?

For the Hanseatic League.

Instead of checking for capturing multiple cities which is something the AI will usually not do. Maybe make the Founder Trigger based on if you build a certain number of buildings first. E.g. shipwright + warehouse + merchant's quarter

And then make the direct heirs have a good chance of acquiring it later 30%, but also give other factions a 10% chance as well.

This will cut down on the triggers and complexity by quite a bit.
    "The first casualty when war comes, is truth." - Hiram Johnson
    Developer of The Long Road Modification

Hephaistos's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by tornnight View Post
    Can I suggest a change?

For the Hanseatic League.

Instead of checking for capturing multiple cities which is something the AI will usually not do. Maybe make the Founder Trigger based on if you build a certain number of buildings first. E.g. shipwright + warehouse + merchant's quarter

And then make the direct heirs have a good chance of acquiring it later 30%, but also give other factions a 10% chance as well.

This will cut down on the triggers and complexity by quite a bit.
    Of course you can suggest.

I see your point. I am also a little bit unhappy, how much triggers I do need. Why I decided to go this way: The historical correct Hanseatic League was next to the Baltic Sea and the North Sea. If I trigger the League to be founded because of a specific number of buildings, the HL might be founded by a faction in the mediterran as well.

When I play the campaign, I do often think "Wow, now you have allmost all provinces next to the Baltic and North Sea, that means nearly full controll of the HL. That was because I implemented the HL as a trait.

By the way: I triggered it the way, there can be only one "founder of the league" in the whole campaign. The sons of the founder will become "decendents of the founder of the HL" and will bequest this trait to their sons and so on.

I will think about your suggestion. Perhaps there is a way to find a compromise between the way it is now and the way you had suggested.

tornnight's Avatar Forum Bot

Ohh ya, you can just make sure those buildings were in those cities.

But that just makes it 1 per city, which is still very few Triggers in comparison.

e.g.

and SettlementGovernorBuilding = shipwright
    and SettlementName Lubeck

I created the triggers I had in mind and it's working pretty decent.

I understand the reason for making 1 faction keep the title.
    But you can make it so another faction who also controls one of the cities with the specific buildings have a chance to get the title.

Anyway, just ideas. Thanks for a great mod.
    Last edited by tornnight; June 05, 2007 at 10:12 AM.
    "The first casualty when war comes, is truth." - Hiram Johnson
    Developer of The Long Road Modification

Hephaistos's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by tornnight View Post
    and SettlementGovernorBuilding = shipwright
    and SettlementName Lubeck
    Won't this trigger give the trait "founder..." to the Governor of Lubeck in this example instead to the factions leader? Well, it is worth to think about, because it will dramatically reduce the amount of triggers.

The original idea after I implemented this trait was to use a tutorial to make a new Guild "Office of the Hanseatic League". I wanted to trigger the guild this way that you need the "Comes Hansae" ancillary to build the very first office, but after the first office is build, other factions can build this guild, too.

However, I have been quite carefull to create this guild with the help of the tutorial, but it doesn't work. I can't find any other mod, that has successfully added a completly new guild from scratch, which made me woundering quite a bit. So there are three possibilities 1. the tutorial does miss anything, 2. it is not possible to create a new guild fromthe scratch, 3. I am too stupid for this. (If you are interested: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...t=77577&page=4)

If I won't be able to complete the guild mod, I will reconsider this trait, and it can be, that I will completly change it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast