Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rise Of Persia: an AAR by Paul D.

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

Default Rise Of Persia: an AAR by Paul D.

RISE OF PERSIA: AAR

Kurus looked over his kingdom; small, but wielding great prospect. He knew that to take on his Maedian overlords, he needed a better economy, and a population which could sustain a total war. He had decided. He sent one of his generals to attack Ysatis,

which would give him another front against the Mada; when the time came.

fighting was brutal and quick:

The Mada offered alliance, which we accepted grugingly.

Kurus quickly wrested control of Susim as well; this battle was long, agonising, and nearly a defeat at the hands of our enemy!

Next, after several uneventful years of preparation amassing soldiers, building fortifications, etc., Kurus set his gaze upon the city of Babylon; the jewel of mesopotamia. He knew he needed such a city in order to prevail. He marched a mighty and culturally diverse host upon the city, and was attacked a few miles from the outside.

Even the King of Bab-Ilu would partake in this battle!

the city of Babylon's prescence looms in the backround.

Although his liutenant was quickly shot down by our Anyusia arrow storm

Kurus and Nabu-na'id confronted eachother. soldiers ready to fight or die.

fighting was fierce, but Kurus' elite cavalry corps made short work of the Babylonian king.

and his routing army soon scattered from our might.

outnumbering does have benefits...

Next, was the city itself. Kurus ordered his men to divert the Euphrates river, therefore making the citys moat ineffective. the babylonians defending the city were few; less than a hundred.
    [img=http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6227/parsa4ababiluyv4.png]

Kurus' host marched upon the city Unopposed and triumphant

Save for the few enemies with the weak to run away.

So, in 9 years, Kurus did what mjany could not do in decades. The Babylonian empire would soon succumb to his superior archers, and infantry. Their obsolete army could not stand against his new, unmatched army.
    the city of Ur surrendered immediately, and soon all that was left of Bab-Ilu was its westernmost provinces: Kurus' next target...

Last edited by Paul d; May 27, 2007 at 12:11 PM.

Master_Swordman's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Rise Of Persia: an AAR by Paul D.

Ahh, I was wondering if anyone would do an AAR with Persia.

Nice start, not exactly how it went in history, but still a nice start.

Looking forward to more!

Super Bowl XLII: New England Patriots (18-0) vs. New York Giants (12-6)
    ...and another ones gone, and another ones gone...

Part 2: Mopping up Resistance

section 1: Taking Hira: Kurus had whested control of Ur as you know, but he was unaware that the most part of its garrison had been campaiging in Arabaya.

But that would come later. First, he had to capture Hira, in order that he would not be surrounded by opposition in his new city, Babylon.

He sent his army to capture it, and again, the babylonians summoned up a respectable fighting force.

His Anusiya stood firm, along with his mercenary archers

But, alas, Kurus was overconfident in the enemy; they routed the minute the battle lines clashed

But tha battle was not over! enemy reinfrocements arrived, and were soon flanking our forces. Kurus ordered them to turn and face this new threat.

Which, was also easily crushed.

MEANWHILE... In The East, Kurus' generals were fighting a brutal campaign against the various Iranian peoples, which were going smoothly.(no pic)

Section 2: Showdown for Ur

The Babylonians ahd retaken Ur, and Kurus had to act accordingly. He left behind a small contingency of troops as guards at Hira, and quickly marched to face this new threat.

the enemy line spread from one horizon to the next, and Kurus' allies were being crushed, but he kept confidence in his veteran soldiers.

his ally's axemen were being crushed by the bab-ilu soldiers; Kurus needed to send aid, and Quickly!

But the Babylonian general and his men were directly in the path of his allies!

Kurus ordered his cavalry to attack the left side of the babylonian line, which was slaughtered before their might

but, his efforts were in vain! his ally had been slain, along with many of his soldiers!

But Kurus kept his calm. He ordered his Anusiya's to fire at the Bab-Ilu king, whose chariots were no match for skill and outnumbering!

And Kurus' Cavalry charged from the flank; a decisive blow indeed. the Babylonian general was dead, and his cowardly men began to falter!

And thus, the showdown for Ur was over, Kurus winning, as usual.

Last edited by Paul d; May 27, 2007 at 11:52 PM.

so far, I think that the Persian units need less missile damage,and the bab-ilu spearmen and archers need slightly better defense. its so easy its barely even fun. and its on Hard mode too.
    Last edited by Paul d; May 27, 2007 at 11:56 PM.

Sigma's Avatar Ducenarius

sounds cool, looks like Persia is doing well in battle, and it will control alot of territory in no time it seems...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul d View Post
    so far, I think that the Persian units need less missile damage,and the bab-ilu spearmen and archers need slightly better defense. its so easy its barely even fun. and its on Hard mode too.
    I believe historically the Persians used many archers in their armies, along with infantry and cavalry, to defeat their enemies. That being said I also believe the makers of this mod are trying to get the player to use a lot of archers to "Do as Cyrus did" if you will.

Not sure if that made any sense.

Nevertheless, well done on your campaign so far! When will you start fighting the Medes, I wonder?

Nice start, sacking Babylon like that!

I wonder if you will face the Magadha soon?

no, I'm staying clear of Maghada for now. I will probably attack Balkh next, that way I can attack Mada on 3 fronts. I've got to finish off Bab-Ilu first, I dont wanna fight 3 countries at once.
    you think maybe the Kemetics or Lydians will be a challenge? hoplites fare slightly better against the Anusiya's than wickerwork spearmen.
    Last edited by Paul d; May 28, 2007 at 01:22 PM.

Chapter 3: Counterattack

The Bab-Ilu were eager to retake their capital, so they mustered up a gigantic army, and prepared to meet kurus on the field. The beseiged Babylon, and days after, Kurus got the message, and marched his men towards the city, to face the Bab-Ilu.

Luckily, the city's garison would be aiding him!

His lines stood, eager, almost impetuous for battle. the Bab-Ilu king moved forward, and his meagre attack was met by a massive storm of arrows.

and the bab-Ilu king's
    General was attacking the city garison, hoping for then to rout.

the armies were ready for battle, but kurus knew he would win. It was inevitable , and he was sure of this; the bab-ilu soldiers were no match for his elite men

Then, the Bab-ilu cavalry began to finish off the garison!

But, As always, Kurus' Anusiya's proved their might; and the enemy routed, and soon, his cavalry slaughtered the leftover enemys. the city of Bab-Ilu would not fall to Kurus' enemies anytime soon...
    Last edited by Paul d; May 28, 2007 at 07:58 PM.

Chapter 4: "Press Forward!"

After the victory at Babylon, Kurus made no delay in taking the fight back to the enemy. In 545,B.C., He led his soldiers to Nisbis, a medium sized city.

Soon, the enemy sallied forth, and the lines prepared for battle.

Kurus formed a defensive formation, and awaited the enemy.

Luckily, the Bab-Ilu had sent one of their junior officers to the fight.

the armies lined up, and the bab-ilu, in surprise, let loose a large missile storm, in respinse to ours.

And they had flanked the lines with slingers as well!

Kurus' line was under heavy fire, but they stood firm.

The Bab-Ilu spearmen let fourth a battlecry, and charged the Anusiya

But Kurus ordered the Cavalry to deter them, so that his archers could shoot them from the rear.

And the spearmen routed easily

Also, during the chaos, the Bab Ilu general had been killed

And kurus finished mopping up the resistance

Section 2: the Battle for the Bridge

Kurus: I'm tired of my scribe writing my battles as if it were the future! I will write them myself now. (stole the idea of The fuzz winky)

I anticipated the coming battle, the bridge to Nisbis was an important avenue into my lands. I led my soldiers onto it, waiting for the enemy.

And my anticipation was correct!

report of battle:

I am outnumbered, but I have no doubt in my mind that my army will not fail. I positioned them along the bridge, with archers and cavalry on flanks. The enemy will have to come to us!
    Their king is a fool, so I have no worries that he will not do that.

I ordered my archers to raise their bows and fire into the enemy lines

which were easily killed; they were so packed together, we needed only to fire in their general direction!

My anusiya grew worried. they had run out of arrows, and the enemy still had many soldiers battle-ready.

The Babylonian king charged into the battle first; brave, but stupid.

we soon began to chase them back over the bridge

but they repelled us back to our side of the bridge!

But the few remaining were finished, now all that remanied is the army on the other side.

And I rode down the remaining men myself.

I must continue the assault; but I feel that it is almost time to sweep across Iran and Defeat the Medians.

Fighting a two fronted war will be challenging; but I have no fear of defeat, as my realm has grown large, In fact, The largest in the world, and even if i die, my son will continue my legacy.

Last edited by Paul d; May 30, 2007 at 08:49 PM.

Chapter 5: The War on Mada (many easy battles, and battles vs rebels, were auto'd in addition, battle scenes are shorter to show urgency and that Kurus is getting flustered)

Kurus: the War has begun. It started with the attack of Mada soldiers near Milid. An easy victory indeed. I was asleep in my command tent when the battle begun, and my men rushed into the tent and shouted "Kurus! they're here! ready the men!"

I formed a battle line, and waited on a hill for the enemy.

there were many foes indeed, but thankfully, their armies were not very diverse.

the lines clashed; my Anusiya prooving their worth once again

and my foes routed within minutes

Next, the Mada attacked Susim, and the battle was a victory, although I received word that, the battle was not recorded well, and that it was a victory

Another battle took place; such a slaughter It need not be recorded

More Slaughters. My foes grow desperate and they attack with whatever they can muster.

I also got alarming news; rebels had amassed near Taoke, and my nephew attacked them. many of his men died, but he eventually won

I also gained word from the common soldiers that a commander had proven his worth, and I bade him a promotion. Now hopefully, I will have a good source of mercenaries on the central front.

Atraphernes: I and my newly mustered forces marched from Pathragada, and we did a great thing. We surrounded the Median prince and our forces outnumbered him 4 to 1!

our cavalry ran him down, along with his meagre forces

and the battle was won easily

Kurus: good news indeed! but one must take the sweet with the bitter! My forces were surrounded in by Medians, and were slaughtered relentlessly

And more alarming news! My newly promoted general was surrounded and outnumbered by Medians!

Even worse, he put up small resistance, and his men took fewer lives of their enemies than I had expected of Anusiya.

Afterwards, I foguth a battle in Assur in which I killed and trampled the Median king himself.

I soon rushed to Amid where I was met by a large enemy force.

But not quite large enough

Again, alarming news had to come with this. I received word that my son died today fighting Medians in the Dahae. I mourn his loss, but I am too enveloped in this war to let it engulf me. The good thing, though, is that he died bravely in battle, and a city was captured in the process.

I received word of another slaughter; accheived by my nephew artaphernes

I am fighting this war poorly compared to my battles against the Bab-Ilu.

Perhaps I am growing old... I have noticed that I tend to be more forgetful and somewhat less tactful as of late...
    Last edited by Paul d; May 31, 2007 at 06:05 PM.

Don't let Cambyses II take the throne if Kurus dies ...he's not the best ruler for an empire...

(coming up, I face these factions: Mada, Bab-Ilu, Saba,Lydia(although afterwards there is a ceasefire) , And Baktria! Mazaka might betray me, and I fear the Maghada are prepping to blitz me!)
    Last edited by Paul d; June 03, 2007 at 09:41 PM.

Wow, so many factions want you dead! Those Maghada are crazy blitzers too.

I don't want any of them dead, but they all seem to want me dead. I just want peace for at least 5 turns... I spend all money on troops, and all my ciites are rioting cuz i cant upgrade.

Miles

Very nice AAR....thanks for the inspiration....my AAR (Rebellion in the East: A Bactrian AAR in the XGM thread) will need many more pics....but, anyways, very, very good work.

thanks, guy.(I now refer to most people as guy.)

Chapter 6a: Kurus loses his first battle

Kurus was alarmed to find, that during his wars, he had grown careless of the Bab-Ilu, and in 540 B.C. he was besieged by their forces

He called upon the city guard, his elite army, and a few allied troops to sally forth. He doubted victory, for the battle was mainly for the purpose of crippling the enemy army. the bab-Ilu outnumbered him greatly, and he ordered his men to engage them

Soon, Many enemy forces were retreating, but they had many more than that...

Kurus charged the enemy leader, taking out many of his men, but Kurus was losing many men as well. He ordered his guard to fall back, but then the unthinkable happened. Kurus was mortally injured by a passing sling stone.

His lieutenant ordered the remaining men to fight, but then kurus regained conscious.

"Enough!" he called.

"Units, Full Retreat!"

many a foe lay dead, but kurus had suffered many casualties as well. perhaps the war would be over soon...

little did he know, that the sling wound would be more fatal than expected...

Oficially closing this AAR due to Getting my arse kicked, and boredom. Moving on to Regions and provinces mod for M2:Tw for a Cuman AAR.

Sad that everyone stops an AAR just when things are getting very hard. Would be quite interesting to see a story of an empire being smashed...
    Where are all the pics btw..?
    Automating RTW Coding and Balancing with PHP and MySQL (online)

Lead developer of:

Latest RoP Release: ROP v2.2
    Under the Patronage of the magnificent Rez

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast