Thread: The feasibility of a Paradox sister site

Default The feasibility of a Paradox sister site

Ok starting this thread probably wasnt the wisest idea I have ever had so I have deleted a few of my posts.
    Last edited by Elrond; May 29, 2007 at 04:54 PM.
    Under the Patronage of Imb39
    Patron of julianus heraclius, TheFirstONeill, Boz and midnite

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The feasibility of a Paradox sister site

Quote Originally Posted by Elrond View Post
    Half the members of the committee and most of the active members of the commitee seem to braodly support the idea of a Paradox sister site - therefore I think we should start talking about the feasibility of it -
    Unfortuntely that is not an accurate statement. We still havent heard from at least two Committee members, Fabolous and Ragabash. Several members, including myself, have expressed reservations.

Lets try tabling and discussing alternative ideas before adopting any platforms.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Baltar View Post
    Unfortuntely that is not an accurate statement. We still havent heard from at least two Committee members, Fabolous and Ragabash. Several members, including myself, have expressed reservations.

Lets try tabling and discussing alternative ideas before adopting any platforms.
    Myself, Leodonias, Prof, Kanaric and Lusted broadly support the idea of a Paradox sister site. two of the members havent spoken so out of the active members most (ie more than half) broadly support the idea - the language I used to describe support for the idea was correct.

My reasoning for this thread is that allot of the objections to the plan are on the grounds that it might not be practical / feaible - therefore I thought that it was a good idea that we discussed the varous feasibility issues rather than some people just saying its not feasible whilst saying that it is without either side discussing the matter in depth.

I also stated that other options should be disscussed (but not in this thread).

Elrond, once again I say, Kanaric is the chairperson. These are his sorts of threads to be making and guiding discussion. You are being a bit trigger happy and aggressive in this; Kanaric has so far proven to be a very capable and effective chairperson, please stop jumping the gun. It has been 3 days of committee if that, do not rush the decision, and give all avenues their due process. These sort of "objectives" are best handled by the committee chair; if you disagree with them then bring it up them but, for everyone's sake, please settle down. This is not meant as a personal attack or reprimand as I am not your superior but it is a suggestion that would well serve everyone on this council, as well as earn you more respect. Thank you.
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

Just spring cleaning my posts!
    Last edited by Elrond; May 29, 2007 at 04:51 PM.

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen Administrator Emeritus

8th point - People know how I approach issues so dont be surprised if I take part in things like this vigerously, whole heartedly and perhaps slightly agressively - I am sorry its the way I do things - accept it or dont put me on commitees etc.
    There should be give and take on all sides.

I see no lecturing. There again, I am an outside observer. Whilst there is nothing wrong with exploring various options, it is actually a good idea for things to be coordinated lest effort being misdirected. I strongly advise that time is given for other members to get a chance to have a look (I think I am right in thinking this is a bank holiday weekend (well, it is here...). Just to repeat myself - Rome was not built in a day. Enthusiasm is a wonderful thing, so is consensus at times.

Firstly I would prefer not to be lectured on this issue by you - most of peoples negetive opinions about me are usally very similar to their negative opinions about you - infact you usally display those negative qualities more obvously than I do.

Secondly saying 'this isnt a reprimand' does take away from the fact that it is.

thirdly the thread was started 3 and a half hours ago - as I havent had any other lectures I assume most people have taken the thread on its face value - it isnt a attempt to usurp kanarics power it was meant to start a debate on wheather on not the main topic of discussion is feasible - As I have clearly stated I agree that other avennues of discussion should be continued - The thread is meant to see whether there is a point of folowing the Paradox sister site idea - not to actully folow it.

fourthly - Find me a set of rules anywere on this site which say what threads I can and cant start in this commitee

5th point - you are quite right in saying you are not my superoir - so dont act like this is the case.

6th point - I would prefer not be accused by staff of getting involved in a personal argument as I havent broken any rules yet.

7th point - ok lets see how your method goes - I am quite happy to spend my holiday doing other things and posting only once or twice a day in this sub forum, but when we are still arguing in a weeks time whether a Paradox site is feasible dont blame me.

8th point - People know how I approach issues so dont be surprised if I take part in things like this vigerously, whole heartedly and perhaps slightly agressively - I am sorry its the way I do things - accept it or dont put me on commitees etc.
    king rick, I will avoid responding to your points individually, because for the sake of what we are discussing they are quite irrelevant. I will say a few things about them in general. Your third and eighth points in general really sum up the situation. It has been 4 hours, and you take lack of response as a sign of agreement. There is a reason Kanaric was made chairperson, there are reasons we were not. This is not a committee of king rick, or anyone in particular, we are a team and we are to act like a team. Part of acting like a team means submitting to the will of your team leader as long as he proves well and able, and let your leader do the leading; it is fine to take the initiative but you are not the agenda setter for the team. This is the second time you are guilty of breaching this tenet of teamwork in as many days.

Secondly, is playing nice with your teammates. You've now been in two spats with your teammates, in as many days. I was respectful and not personal in my statement to you, yet you responded with personal insults and character attacks. If you haven't noticed, we are on the same side. In fact on most issues we are in agreement; however you are in no position to gerrymander the discussion or come to too-early conclusions, as you continually do. If how you want to work with your teammates is by attacking them, by pressing forward an agenda and objectives and questions that aren't ripe to be considered yet, by personally insulting them in an irrelevant defense of your actions, perhaps you and this committee would be better served if you stepped down.

For all your "points," I'll have you know, not a single one actually defended your actions. They are all enumerations on "oh well this is me" and "shut up," neither of which are actually conducive towards debate or develop any thoughtful ideas. Perhaps if you look at why you attacked Garbarsardar, why you made that hasty poll yesterday which we all agreed was out of line, and why you make threads like this (that the only other person to reply already had reservations as well, it should be noted), as well as posts like the above, and think about why you do these and what they hope to achieve, you will be more considerate of your actions and able to defend them with more than personal insults.

Good day.

Last edited by Elrond; May 29, 2007 at 04:49 PM.

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen Administrator Emeritus

I might be wanting an apology soon...

kanaric is the 'boss' of this Committee, otherwise why have a leader? All groups need a leader of sorts otherwise they do not work - period.

Quote Originally Posted by imb39 View Post
    I might be wanting an apology soon...

kanaric is the 'boss' of this Committee, otherwise why have a leader? All groups need a leader of sorts otherwise they do not work - period.
    He isnt the boss of the commitee, he is its chair person and therefore its nominal leader - being commitee leader doesnt make him my boss it makes him first among equals - you seem to be mis understanding the relationship between a committe chair and a commitee member - if for instance I were content staff then a content editor would be my boss.

I have a high opinion of Kanaric - it is the nature of his position I arguing about.

And you seem to be misunderstanding your role and what a good team player is...

I am going to ask the committee chair, or Hex, to close this, as it is in everyone's best interest. Right now you are digging a hole and I don't think your righteous argument against two of your superiors and one well-respected contributor is winning you any friends, nor a spot on any future committees. That is aside from the fact that this entire thread is out of place and should not have been posted in the first place. Start working like you are part of a team and not above it; it is ironic that you are suggesting kanaric as first citizen yet you yourself have refused to behave according to your role. Perhaps your lack of experience in team environments is the source of this confusion.

Furthermore, if you wish to argue about the role of Kanaric, then that is a discussion to be had with Hex. It is not an assumption for you to unilaterally make. Nor is it an excuse to step out of line when nothing except your personal and questionable opinions warrant it.

Last edited by Elrond; May 29, 2007 at 04:49 PM.

this whole "feasibility of a paradox sister site" is something that is already being handled in other topics. We dont need a entirely new topic on something that is being discussed in 3 others, lol.

Continue the discussions on this already going on on Parados, its already progressing rather than starting a new one from scratch.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.