Thread: Gold status discussion, keep posts related to that here.

Default Gold status discussion, keep posts related to that here.

Gold Affiliate status gives TWC access to the SEGA press vault(reminds me i must ask Publius if he's got access to it as i forgot what the password was when i left even though i could still acess the site) so we get new screenshots and previews/videos the same time as gaming webistes, though unfortunately we haven't taken that much advantage of it. It also lets us take part in the Gold Code days(which there will be more of), and CA definitely seems to be moving in the direction of trying to give more benefits for Gold Affiliate status.

The main problem i could see happening is if TWC become StrategyCenter, one site with both Paradox and CA games forums. Then we would not be a dedicated TW site and would likely lose Gold Affiliate status. If the site extension is in the form of a new site with it's own forum but user database linked to TWC, then i wouldn't think there would be a problem as there would be TWC, and StrategyCenter, with only user database shared.

It all depends on how it's done.
    If we have the separate site like what was planned for Paradox it seems like it shouldn't be a problem. I think if we find some way to keep the forums separate but use the same CC things should work out fine according to what Lusted said.

So we can do a Paradox Game site.
    Last edited by Kanaric; May 26, 2007 at 03:16 PM.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Re: Lusted got back to me - on CA and the Affiliate program.

And im part of the commitee now, i posted the pm i sent to you in other sites. Hi there.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Welcome, ok i didn't read that or realize you were a member until after I posted.

Maybe we should dedicate this discussion as its own topic so it doesn't dominate another thread?

Maybe we should dedicate this discussion as its own topic so it doesn't dominate another thread?
    Good idea, keep this thread to the discussion of how the new site could impact TWCs relationship with CA and our Gold Affiliate status.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

moved from another thread:

I think this would work well if we can at least accomplish this kind of idea:

there would be both:
    a www.twcenter.net domain
    a www.paradoxcenter.net domain

when you click forums on the twcenter site you would see the exact same thing as now, except no paradox game sections aside from maybe a link on the main site.

when you click forums on the paradox site you would see no total war sections, instead they would be replaced by paradox games.

I think if it is done in this way both fansites would be allowed to be separate and use the same logins and same cc. I think its possible that there is a way to do this with a forum's code.

I still, however, dont see why they would be upset about the forums being one so long as both games have its own dedicated main page.

Default Re: Gold status discussion, keep posts related to that here.

If they're split in the way you say above CA shouldn't have a problem with it, as you'd have the TW site and forums, and Paradox site and forums. Perhaps even seperate wikis and download sections?
    Creator of:

Yes, exactly. I dont know what forum code this site uses but I know in YABB its possible and the code they use for this site I think is far better from what i've seen so i'm sure it can be done.

Really all it would require, to explain it simply, is to have two separate indexes for the forums. Forums are basically just a large database so both would have access to the database for users and the posts in CC, but only for their specific forum.

This is probably how any expansion should be done so that maybe a "gold status" could be gained with others.

I think we can figure something out. This forum is already designed very well so it may not be much of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    If we have the separate site like what was planned for Paradox it seems like it shouldn't be a problem. I think if we find some way to keep the forums separate but use the same CC things should work out fine according to what Lusted said.

So we can do a Paradox Game site.
    The only way we can share the CC is by making the CC forums at the new site, just redirects to the forums at TWC, ie when someone clicks on the Themia Devia at the Paradox site it redirects them to the themia devia at TWC.

In the whole scheme of things it wouldnt mattter - post count wouldnt be effected (because of the joint user system) and there wouldnt be enough new traffic to substain a new CC, especialy considering that to be succesful it would have to take away members from the TWC CC.

EDIT:

A futher issue is staffing - they would need seperate staff systems - a few people might be on both teams but if the new site is controled by TWCs government then it isnt a new site - its just a extra domain and forum index for TWC.
    Last edited by Elrond; May 26, 2007 at 03:31 PM.
    Under the Patronage of Imb39
    Patron of julianus heraclius, TheFirstONeill, Boz and midnite

Actually:
    Really all it would require, to explain it simply, is to have two separate indexes for the forums. Forums are basically just a large database so both would have access to the database for users and the posts in CC, but only for their specific forum.

Like I said, forums ARE databases. Everything contained in a forum is accessed by code that can be written to have separate sites but same users, post counts, and CC. Its just a matter of if the people who created these boards know how to do it. I'm sure they do as this is put together nicely.

I've taken SQL classes and one part of a class discussed message boards and how they work. I'm sure it can be done

A futher issue is staffing - they would need seperate staff systems - a few people might be on both teams but if it a new site is controled by TWCs government then it isnt a new site - its just a extra domain and forum index for TWC.
    I'm sure the people who moderate the EU3 forums would have no problem. They have like 10 moderators for just that.

I can do a search on google and find basic concepts of how to do this in a couple of seconds.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98233

Then all we would do is put a link on the paradox site to twcenters CC and its done. I'm sure it could be done much better than that though with both sites sharing the CC as well.

All you would have to know is how to do it in this specific forum software.

edit: Just noticed that the site i gave IS this forum software so that is the solution right there.
    Last edited by Kanaric; May 26, 2007 at 03:41 PM.

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

I can do a search on google and find basic concepts of how to do this in a couple of seconds.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98233

Then all we would do is put a link on the paradox site to twcenters CC and its done. I'm sure it could be done much better than that though with both sites sharing the CC as well.

All you would have to know is how to do it in this specific forum software.
    That is a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash