Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Great Ones

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

Default The Great Ones

King Pele, greatest soccer player of all time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFgkzOSBA2s

Michael Jordan, greatest Basketball player of all time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_hVJ9IZHqY BTW Music sucks

Also, if your wondering why that last shot was so special it is because that one won his last championship

Post any others.
    Last edited by NaptownKnight; May 26, 2007 at 10:29 AM.

Default Re: The Great Ones

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKnight View Post
    King Pele, greatest soccer player of all time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFgkzOSBA2s

Michael Jordan, greatest Basketball player of all time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_hVJ9IZHqY BTW Music sucks

Also, if your wondering why that last shot was so special it is because that one won his last championship

Post any others.
    Gotta agree with Footballer (maybe Maradonna )

Don't know much about Basketball so I'm just say Luol Deng because he is sort of British

What about Ali , Marciano or Sugar Ray Robinson for Boxing

Jack Nicklaus for Golf

Pete Sampra for Tennis (god I hate that smug tit)

Brian Lara for Cricket
    Under the protection of jimkatalanos
    with further protection from
    Calvin R.I.P mate, Cúchulainn , Erebus26 , Paggers Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    and Future Filmmaker

Jordan..pfft. How about Brent Barry:

(Patron of Lord Rahl)

Quote Originally Posted by MadBurgerMaker View Post
    Jordan..pfft. How about Brent Barry:

Wow it doesn't look like he is even going to come close, and to above poster I think you mean Ben Gordon who is a Londoner.
    EDIT Nichalaus instead of Tiger? I guess that's a toss up.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Don't know that much about soccer, so I won't list them.

Basketball: Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russel, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Baseball: Ty Cobb, Willie Mays, Hank Arron, Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Barry Bonds

Football: Jim Brown, Joe Montana, John Elway, Dan Marino, O.J. Simpson, Jerry Rice, Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White

Tennis: Pete Samprass, Roger Federer

Golf: Jack Niclaus, Tiger Woods

^ Deng is also British, His family moved there when he was young. That's where he learned to play. (but he is by no means "great" Hell he just got to be "good" this year. I can see all star teams in his future, but never true greatness)
    Last edited by the_mango55; May 26, 2007 at 12:27 PM.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Ok also, heres Reggie. While certainly not a great one overall, he is an icon where I live. If it's hard for Euros to understand just imagine a player for your local club who steps his game up when it matters most, always comes through in the clutch, and stays with your club until he retires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahI7ohS5L-Y

BTW I was in attendance at at the first real game they show, where he heaves up that shot from almost half court.

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post

^ Deng is also British, His family moved there when he was young. That's where he learned to play. (but he is by no means "great" Hell he just got to be "good" this year. I can see all star teams in his future, but never true greatness)
    Yeah sorry mate only seen him play a couple of times and he is quite good but its great to see an honorary Brit doing well in the toughest basketball league in the world ,but I do concede I only listed him because of his passport .I really would pick Magic Johnson. Such a shame though
    and Future Filmmaker

Rob_the_Celt's Avatar Rebel

Pele, Maradona, Best, Cruyff, Eusebio, all strikers. No one ever gives the rest of the team any credit. Beckenbauer was class for Germany, Roy Keane and Vieira were the driving force behing Man U and Arsenal for years but they never seem to get any credit in the all time greats list.

I'll add a few for Hurling, Christy Ring (regarded as the best ever but he was long before my time) and DJ Carey (great handball player too). Henry Shefflin is the best player right now in a very good Kilkenny team, Eoin Kelly isn't far behind in a poor Tipperary team, Ken McGrath is a great player in a decent Waterford team.

Gaelic Football, probably someone from Kerry in around the 70's - 80's. Bomber Liston.

Rugby, Dan Carter, Brian O'Driscoll, Jonah Lomu, Paul O'Connell, Johnny Wilkinson before gettin mangled.

Formula 1; Michael Schumacher

Bikes; Mick Doohan or Valentino Rossi

Rally; Sebastien Loeb, Carlos Sainz

Snooker; Steve Davis, Ronnie O'Sullivan

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_the_Celt View Post
    Pele, Maradona, Best, Cruyff, Eusebio, all strikers. No one ever gives the rest of the team any credit. Beckenbauer was class for Germany, Roy Keane and Vieira were the driving force behing Man U and Arsenal for years but they never seem to get any credit in the all time greats list.

I'll add a few for Hurling, Christy Ring (regarded as the best ever but he was long before my time) and DJ Carey (great handball player too). Henry Shefflin is the best player right now in a very good Kilkenny team, Eoin Kelly isn't far behind in a poor Tipperary team, Ken McGrath is a great player in a decent Waterford team.

Gaelic Football, probably someone from Kerry in around the 70's - 80's. Bomber Liston.

Rugby, Dan Carter, Brian O'Driscoll, Jonah Lomu, Paul O'Connell, Johnny Wilkinson before gettin mangled.

Formula 1; Michael Schumacher

Bikes; Mick Doohan or Valentino Rossi

Rally; Sebastien Loeb, Carlos Sainz

Snooker; Steve Davis, Ronnie O'Sullivan
    What about Carl Fogerty for bikes , Stephen Hendry for snooker , McRae for Rally and Ayrton Senna for Formula one (he would of been a true great ,but for a tragic crash)
    and Future Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Savage View Post
    Gotta agree with Footballer (maybe Maradonna )
    Pele is the greatest footballer of all time. He didn't need to cheat or pump himself full of drugs to succeed!

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCrusader76 View Post
    Pele is the greatest footballer of all time. He didn't need to cheat or pump himself full of drugs to succeed!
    Wasn't Maradona the one who punched in that goal against England?

Yes he was and what really p****s me off is the fact that he still refuses to admit that he blatantly punched that ball in! I mean, come on! Peter Shilton was a tall fellow, how the hell was a shortarse like Maradona going to be able to get his head to the ball before Shilton could catch it? The only way he could've reached it was with his hand!

I know it was a long time ago, but had England gone past Argentina, I feel sure we would've won that World Cup. Instead, it's over 40 years and counting since we won it! You can also blame that on Sven. We had the best squad for ages, none of the big teams really fired at World Cup 2006 and with the right manager, we would've taken that cup. He didn't have a bloody clue!! And Steve McDonut (McLaren) isn't much better!

What about Carl Fogerty for bikes , Stephen Hendry for snooker , McRae for Rally and Ayrton Senna for Formula one (he would of been a true great ,but for a tragic crash)
    The death of Aryton robbed us of what would've been a classic battle between him and Schumacher. He died far too young!

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCrusader76 View Post
    Yes he was and what really p****s me off is the fact that he still refuses to admit that he blatantly punched that ball in!
    he admitted it already.

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by bars View Post
    he admitted it already.
    Yep not so long time ago either. 1 year at most

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Quote Originally Posted by bars View Post
    he admitted it already.
    Well I just saw it on youtube, and whether he admitted it or not it was obvious he did it. It wasn't like the ball accidentally hit his hand either.

BTW any one heard of this guy?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K_k0cK_nj0

Gaius Drakan's Avatar Biarchus

Soccer - Roy Keane, 'nuff said.

Any soccer fan knows exactly why I'm saying him.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Wayne Gretzky.

The mans nickname was "The Great One"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFX0dVXNDXw

Rob_the_Celt's Avatar Rebel

Carl Fogarty was in superbikes when Doohan was in Moto GP, would have been good to see them go head to head, but Doohan has 5 world titles to his name, in a row, and is probably the best bike rider ever. He even tested for Formula 1 but wrote off a car! Fogarty was great as well but in what many consider to be an inferior series.
    Colin McRae only won 1 world championship that Sainz lost as opposed to McRae won, I'd rate Tommi Makkinen or Kankonnen ahead of him.
    Senna was unbelieveable and neither he nor Schumacher never really managed to dominate each other. Schumachers record in the end is the best ever I think, Senna could possibly have been as good if not better but died before he got the chance. The likes of Nikki Lauda, Nelson Piquet and Alain Prost deserve a mention too.

Golf, Jack Nicklas and Tiger Woods.

Football: Jim Brown, Joe Montana, John Elway, Dan Marino, O.J. Simpson, Jerry Rice, Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White
    As a Bears fan i'm insulted at any list that doesn't include Walter Payton. The bears never had a good quarterback and they dominated with him simply just running it almost every play.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast