Thread: That "other" option...

Default That "other" option...

Something I've strangely not heard anyone mention is... what if we absorbed an existing site into TWC? I don't know what I think about this, or how we'd handle it, but I think we can at least think about it as an option... maybe.
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: That "other" option...

Something I've strangely not heard anyone mention is... what if we absorbed an existing site into TWC? I don't know what I think about this, or how we'd handle it, but I think we can at least think about it as an option... maybe.
    Sounds interesting.
    Lets develop it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Quote Originally Posted by Professor420 View Post
    The big problem is that the site would have a different group of members - I dont think there would be a way merging the two members data bases or making the site compatible for any linkage with TWC.

As far as I know a joint member database needs to be implemented when one of the sites is started.

It also brings us back to the problem that ON had - the sites were too seperate from each other - there was little way of harnessing TWC's success to the rest of the network.

The cost of buying a site isnt that much - I neogaited the sale of three of the sites in Ogres.net for about 50 Cents (25p) per active member - unfortunatly he pulled out.
    Under the Patronage of Imb39
    Patron of julianus heraclius, TheFirstONeill, Boz and midnite

Darkragnar's Avatar Member of Ordo Malleus

Quote Originally Posted by Professor420 View Post
    if the cost/benefit analysis suits us , we could do that too, because i thinks highly unlikely we can implement an Joint User database, due to technical reasons so starting from a 0 user data base is more likely.
    Member of the House of Marenostrum
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkragnar View Post
    if the cost/benefit analysis suits us , we could do that too, because i thinks highly unlikely we can implement an Joint User database, due to technical reasons so starting from a 0 user data base is more likely.
    As I have said it can and has been done - I mentioned about the invasio barbarorum site sharing a user database with the generals collective - although the site was a complete failure the techside of it worked well.

Starting a website from scratch which uses TWC's user database is a big advantage - there are 27,000 members at TWC and 3500 active members - the cost of purchasing a site with anywere near TWC's membership level would be enormous - I was told how much this site was bought for and believe me no one at TWC would be prepared to fund purchasing a site even a third the size of TWC.

One the plus side- if you wanted to start a site from scratch I have webhosting which I never use (I was going to setup a history forum but never did) - I would be prepared to let Imb use it as he saw fit. (I calculated that it could run a site some were between 8-12% the size of TWC). This of course would mean that a joint user system - which is very advantagous, wouldnt be possible.
    Under the Patronage of Imb39
    Patron of julianus heraclius, TheFirstONeill, Boz and midnite

Darkragnar's Avatar Member of Ordo Malleus

Quote Originally Posted by Elrond View Post
    As I have said it can and has been done - I mentioned about the invasio barbarorum site sharing a user database with the generals collective - although the site was a complete failure the techside of it worked well.
    If doubt it can be on TWC which has a different code , but we wont know for sure until someone whos seen it or works on it can say.. i havnt seen the code and i think sim takes care of the maintainace dutys on twc, so he would be in the best postion to answer this.
    Member of the House of Marenostrum
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

I think the combined user system is key.
    If not what purpose will the site serve it will be independent.
    And I don't think any of you want to ferry members from that forum to TWC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

This goes back to the whole thing though with ON trying to combine all their fansites.

Any existing site will want to be running things the way they have been doing. Also it would be a combination of existing communities instead of building a new community from an existing one. There could be problems.

If you find any sites interested bring them up and we should look into them.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.