Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The thrill of building power! (No fitness people in this thread please.)

Default The thrill of building power! (No fitness people in this thread please.)

I find nothing cooler than to take the largest amount of wieght I can possible do...put it on the ground, clean and jerk it, then throw it over my head.

Bench presses make me feel really cool too, and curls too.

Squats scare me to death, doing heavy reps with them, cause I got stuck on the ground a few years ago doing what I couldn't do.

Deadlifts petrify me as well, I nearly became a cripple when I was 13 trying to deadlift 300, I had it half way up then my back just went completely out, I couldn't walk for weeks.

I love doing sit ups, I am now finally making progress as well, a week ago I could only max out at 54 sit ups, now I can do just one week later 130...I'm going to try to get 150 today.

Grip training is really cool too, taking huge dumbells and walking back and forth with it, and your muscles bulge out and it makes you look cool like a person on steroids.

My goal is to become at least 220 pounds, and less than 8% bodyfat.
    And have the strength to strangle a 300 pound man with my bare hands from the front.

What are your goals, and what thrills you about lifting heavy?!

Feel free to brag about your strength and muscle size, and we will praise you instead of get angry!
    Original Creator of Renaissance Total War (MTW2)
    Creator of Medieval Classic (MTW2)
    Maker of Instant Tech Mod (ETW)
    Maker of Infinite Money Campaign (ETW)
    Maker of Blockbuster Music Mod (ETW):
    http://www.2shared.com/file/5209733/...Music_Mod.html
    A Top Contributor of the Downloads Section
    Under the Patronage of Selenius4tsd

TAG's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: The thrill of building power! (No fitness people in this thread please.)

Well, my goal is to bench ~120 kg seems like i have to train a couple of months to reach it.
    I can do 40kg x3 in the curling machine , my goal is to do ~60kg.
    Running 2000 meters in 6:00 (It would make me in special forces in the army) would be nice although im far from it because im lazy, and practically i don't really practice my running.

Default Re: The thrill of building power! (No fitness people in this thread please.)

2 kilometres in 6 minutes? (I'm not very far off that actually...how absurd, considering running is something I just can't make myself enjoy).

On power, it's always a thrill to throw a huge amount of weight on an exercise and then lift it, but it only matters if you do it with perfect form.

On abdominals...you would be better served just adding weights rather than going for really long sets, because, quite frankly, I could do situps all day non-stop (Not lying, my friends bet me I couldn't do 1000 situps in a row with no break...so I did, and yet, when I first added weight, well I nearly died from the pain, and the results are good).

My goals are to simply put on mass, I too look at the 220 pound mark, but, my weight isn't that important to me, it is my strength, if I can lift more, then I am happy.

On squats, get a power rack, then you are safe.
    On deadlifts...use proper form and lift an appropiate weight and increase gradually from there, don't fear the deadlift, it increases your core strength a lot.

Seleucus I Nicator's Avatar Campidoctor

I hope to end up with a strong and well-defined body between 85-90kgs (187-198lbs). I don't want to have a huge muscular body I will have to maintain through my entire life.

I am mainly trying to get power but not increasing my size (I don't want to be a huge tank!)
    I can do 30kg in curling, but I am decreasing the wheight to 15kg and I do more reps
    About sit ups, I never count how much I can do, but I can do a lot. When I use the abdominal machine I can do about 30 reps with 80kg
    Well, I want a Bruce Lee-type body, strong and small.
    Many people tell me that I can easily develop a Bruce Lee-type body, but I guess they don't know how much training is needed for it...
    New pics on 24/4/2007

Duke_of_Bavaria's Avatar Vicarius

Chicks love tanks so that's what I'm going for .
    I'm aiming at 110-120 kg. I'm almost 2m tall and only 18 (=will grow for two more years) so I need to weigh quite alot.
    I go to the gym 4 times/week.

Kustjägarsoldat, A-dyk #31 Nordenskiöld - KJ för alltid!

I have always had the impression girls in general don't like over-muscled guys.

LoZz's Avatar who are you?

oo mr show off

i have been going to the gym since november, so about 7/8 months

ive put on a stone and a little bit (it goes up and down so much its impossible to say how many pounds) i am 6ft 1, (160cms i think) and i am now 11 stone (72kg)

i am not that strong tbh, i bicep curl 17.5 kg in each arm.
    i chest press about 65-70kg
    i fly with just under a 100 pounds.

but i am working on it, its true girls do not like rambo style muscles, but they do love a little bit.

my target is to bicep curl 20kg in each arm
    chest press 70-80kg
    and fly 120 pounds

o and i can do 51 push ups in a row
    and 300 situps

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by LoZz View Post
    ...i am 6ft 1, (160cms i think)...
    It's 185,42 cm.

Darth Wong's Avatar Pit Bull

On the original post: you should exercise for fitness, not so you can have bragging rights. That's really the wrong attitude, and it's no surprise that you've injured yourself in the past.

Yes, I have a life outside the Internet and Rome Total War
    "Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions" - Stephen Colbert
    Under the kind patronage of Seleukos

Quote Originally Posted by LoZz View Post
    oo mr show off

i have been going to the gym since november, so about 7/8 months
    2,5 years, I win .

ive put on a stone and a little bit (it goes up and down so much its impossible to say how many pounds) i am 6ft 1, (160cms i think) and i am now 11 stone (72kg)

i am not that strong tbh, i bicep curl 17.5 kg in each arm.
    i chest press about 65-70kg
    i fly with just under a 100 pounds.
    Pff details, details, just post us a picture of your biceps... (kidding I don't really wanna see it)
    And 160 cm... I doubt it, that's like a 15 year-old girl .

but i am working on it, its true girls do not like rambo style muscles, but they do love a little bit.
    Yeah that's what skinny guys say.. All the girls I've ever asked say they like rambo-style muscles. Mr. Olympia style is too much though.
    It's the same with girls who don't have breasts, they say guys don't really like breasts... WAHAHAHAGAGAGA .

my target is to bicep curl 20kg in each arm
    chest press 70-80kg
    and fly 120 pounds

o and i can do 51 push ups in a row
    and 300 situps
    Uuuh, thats pretty damn much. I've never tried doing that for as long as I can w/o weights. When I do situps I always take 30kg and then drop to 25kg when It gets too hard I do 3x36 (I do other belly stuff aswell but that's besides the point).
    I never do Pushups though, pointless. There are machines and weights in the gym, it's more hard core .
    I had a really great time in the gym today, I was there with a friend and we completely pressed each other to death.
    When we left I was unable to drive my motorcycle. I had to rest for like 30-40 mins (we went and got a sausage while waiting). That was great man. I love it when it goes so well.

Am I hijacking this thread? I don't intend to I'm just not sure what you mean by fitness people. Do you mean those skinny guys who think they are biff'o (=renegade)?

PUMPING IRON!

Oh and did you guys notice how everyone who goes to a gym loves Arnold.. I do too, he's my idol . Loads of pics of him at "my" gym.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Duke_of_Bavaria View Post
    Yeah that's what skinny guys say.. All the girls I've ever asked say they like rambo-style muscles. Mr. Olympia style is too much though. It's the same with girls who don't have breasts, they say guys don't really like breasts... WAHAHAHAGAGAGA .
    Is it a common practice of you to go around asking women whether or not they like "Rambo-style muscles"?

Quote Originally Posted by Greve Armfelt View Post
    Is it a common practice of you to go around asking women whether or not they like "Rambo-style muscles"?
    All the girls I've ever asked say...
    Key words in bold there, could be one could be a hundered. But no I reckon it's tops 8 girls.
    I blame alcohol. And I've asked all my girlfriends. It's an inexorable subject when you tell her that you go to a gym .

LoZz's Avatar who are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Greve Armfelt View Post
    It's 185,42 cm.
    ty wasnt sure

Quote Originally Posted by Duke_of_Bavaria View Post

Uuuh, thats pretty damn much. I've never tried doing that for as long as I can w/o weights. When I do situps I always take 30kg and then drop to 25kg when It gets too hard I do 3x36 (I do other belly stuff aswell but that's besides the point).
    I never do Pushups though, pointless. There are machines and weights in the gym, it's more hard core .
    I had a really great time in the gym today, I was there with a friend and we completely pressed each other to death.
    When we left I was unable to drive my motorcycle. I had to rest for like 30-40 mins (we went and got a sausage while waiting). That was great man. I love it when it goes so well.
    nah its not that much, nealy their its good to have a target, then all the time doesnt seem so pointless

and pushups are very very good, some of the hardest people i know only train with their own body weight (dips, sit ups, press ups chin ups, etc)
    Last edited by LoZz; May 25, 2007 at 07:01 PM.

On abdominals...you would be better served just adding weights rather than going for really long sets, because, quite frankly, I could do situps all day non-stop (Not lying, my friends bet me I couldn't do 1000 situps in a row with no break...so I did, and yet, when I first added weight, well I nearly died from the pain, and the results are good).
    How do I do that?

Do I just hold a wieght like the kind you add to a barbell to my stomach?

On the original post: you should exercise for fitness, not so you can have bragging rights. That's really the wrong attitude, and it's no surprise that you've injured yourself in the past.
    Fitness...shmitness...

It's not about bragging rights, it's about becoming stronger than the majority of guys...what guy doesn't want to be stronger than most guys?

Am I hijacking this thread? I don't intend to I'm just not sure what you mean by fitness people. Do you mean those skinny guys who think they are biff'o (=renegade)?
    Like people that do cardio and don't lift heavy, or just do push ups and pull ups...or yoga type stuff.

Or doing way too little weight with too many reps.
    Last edited by Axe-Battler; May 25, 2007 at 11:24 PM.

So how many reps do you usualy do? I do 3x12 usualy, belly 3x32 and some leg stuff 3x20.
    I read about this in a book written by a professional body builder so I guess it's right .

No I do usually reps no more than 6.

I start out with a little less than 1 rep max, something I can get about 2-3 reps on.

Then lower weight to where I can get 4-5, then lower weight again to where I can only get 5-6, once in a while 7.

That's the fastest way I gain strength and size.

Like an example...

I can clean and jerk, then press above my head 155 pounds 1 time, so I when I do that exercise, I'll start with a little less, 145 pounds typically, then lower the next set to 140, then next one to 135.

I can do 650 pounds on the bench press 3 times.

I'm 3000 pounds off from a world record.

I personally lift 5x10 on most exercises, except when it comes to the belly, which I do 3x50 in situps for. I wish I had an abdominal machine so my abs could tire faster so I could get it over with quickly. Situps is the by far most boring exercise in my opinion.

Think 5 sets is too much? Would it be better to reduce it to 3-4?

If you wanna reduce time take some weights while you do the situps. I do 3x32 with 25-30 kg.
    But the belly is such a large muscle that you can't really get over with it that quickly, it takes a while. It's the same with all larger muscles you have to put more effort into it. Arms are easy to train, back and legs are way harder.
    Last edited by Duke_of_Bavaria; May 26, 2007 at 12:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast