Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Religious/Philosophical Profile Thread

Default Re: The Religion/Philosophy Profile Thread

Agnostic with Buddhist/nihilist elements, though baptized a Catholic.
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

Baptized. Bad period where everything could be solved by the Church. Enlightenment, or stagnation perhaps. Now more Libertarian, anti-hypocrisy.

Not anti-religion or anti-government, but anti-hypocrisy, wherein there is acceptable hypocrisy we do everyday, and the unacceptable, where people have to pay needlessly with whatever they have for the wrong reasons.
    But mark me well; Religion is my name;
    An angel once: but now a fury grown,
    Too often talked of, but too little known.

-Jonathan Swift

"There's only a few things I'd actually kill for: revenge, jewelry, Father O'Malley's weedwacker..."
    -Bender (Futurama) awesome

Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal.
    -Immortal Technique

Baptized Roman Catholic and went through most of Confirmation

Was in my 2nd year when I decided that I wouldn't go through it any longer since my mom was forcing me to do so.

As I attended the classes that tried to teach me that there was a god; the more obvious it seemed to me that there wasn't a god.

I guess I'd be an atheist raised on Christian values. Although, I do tend to not follow all of them(turn the other cheek and what not). It's a nice freedom that you have as an atheist among other things.

I hope Atheism never organizes itself or that some sort of "church" forms. It should be a personal belief and end at that.
    Manifest plainness,
    Embrace simplicity,
    Reduce selfishness,
    Have few desires.

I am a UU in nature. I personally think that there is a god but not in the typical sense. I believe that god doesn't have a conconcous but instead is manifested in everything that exists and in a way is the process of creation itself. Although I don't think god has any morals and represents both good and bad, it does not give people a freebie and be able to act immorally. Another words you should do good not because of a superior force but because you want to legitimately do good in this world. I do admit thought that in contrast to my politics UUsim is very loose in nature.

It's sad to see a baby being aborted and have no chance to see the world. One thing that's even more sad is to see starving oprhans and children under neglect and torture. Therefor I feel that in the end until we can improve the conditions and have a large amount of them be adopted only then should we start to think about making abortion illegal.

Philosophy:
    I my ideal world people would be very traditional but also not impose their beliefs on others and accept other traditions. I feel that it's imperative for governments to step in and protect and preserve cultures that are dying away. At the very least they should have the basic culture and language writing system recorded so that we don't lose everything.

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

delete.
    Last edited by MaximiIian; July 29, 2009 at 11:26 PM.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

devout catholic

who has an affintiy with traditional catholicism
    and has a nasty habit of hating jehovah's witness and mormons but hey thats just me

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Pentecostal UPC

just an observation: i've noticed there's a number of atheists/agnostics here that were baptised Catholics or grew up with lots of Catholic influences. Or similarly, baptised Catholics that eventually grew disillusioned and turned to other explanations/faiths.

Well, anyway, I was baptised Catholic too. Which is partly the reason I noticed the trend, because I also grew disillusioned with Catholicism after a while (thanks in part to the various philosophies I was subjected to growing up and my rational and moral disagreements with some of the finer points of Catholic theology and reasoning) but after a period of "almost" atheism, I found my path in a faith resembling Born-again Christianity. haha. I'm just not very sure what denomination we're officially under or named, but it's very similar to the G12 system. Just not as rigid.

Nellup's Avatar Campidoctor

I'm an out and out atheist. My mother and her side of the family are all Church of England Christians. On my fathers side all but him and his brothers are also Church of England, and I was christened. I was forced to attend church until I was about 10, and even at that age I was completely disillusioned with the idea of God and the atrocities performed in his name.
    As such I feel that practicing religion is fine, so long as it doesn't lead to violence or conflict.
    "A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something" - Plato

Wow I haven't posted here yet.

My family comes from roman catholic and protestants.

My father's parents' were so religious, that I heard my father and his brother was forced to go to church almost every day, while at my mother's side, my mom's father was from a reformat (pretty much a protestant) family, although he never went to church and never took his 7 children for any form of baptism or taught any religious beliefs beside to love themselves and each other.

Due to my family coming not only from 2 different religions but also 2 entirely opposing ideological beliefs (my father's father whom I never got to know, died in 1956 as a Hungarian freedom fighter, a person who was declared as a "kulak" by the government, while my mom's father was an active communist and communist supporter, although the nicest man I have ever known) for which I can only explain by the power of blind Love, due to my father's experience with religion and my mom's family lifestyle, religion was never forced on me and my father told me that it's up to me to decide if what I want to believe or follow. (here is my town's history website, Love the music! )

So what do I believe in? I have aligned myself with nihilism, deism and atheism at various points of my life, lately I find myself to leaning more towards atheism lately.

Custom User Title
    Citizen

Religion is for those who are so confused they need something to hold on to, a 'reason'.

Philosophy is for those that don't do enough with their lives and have to idealise - or power hungry politician types that wish to control thought.

Trolls are for life, not just for Christmas.

That is my philosophy, now worship me.

The Good's Avatar the Bad and the Ugly

Default Re: The Religious/Philosophical Profile Thread

Hmm, this has been unstickied, any reason why? I thought this was worthy of being one, not because I started it, but because we describe what we believe here.

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

I agree with you LJ, it should be stickied.

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Was brainwashed in an Evangelical private Christian school from age 3 to 14. Ouch.

Was baptised in to a Southern Baptist Church full of morons, believed it for as long as that kind of affect wears on you.

See I considered myself a staunch, total complete Christian badass. Convinced everything was real about it, terrified ******** of hell (I still remember "getting saved" ridiculous amounts of times, each time wondering why God didn't magically give me a hardon to inform me if I'd been registered as saved yet).

When I got out of that ridiculous school, I got into the real world. I went into public school for the first time in my life, also known as high school. Finally I was away from Christianity, and I geuss I automatically stopped going to Church.

Sophomore year I was beginning to believe less and less, and I certainly did not give two shites about "sin" anymore, and just considered myself a "non-practicing Christian." Life was just full of too much fun to worry about hurting anyone other than myself or my friends, sin doesn't exist to me.

Well summer of Sophomore year I went on my last outting with my church, went white water rafting with them, I geuss this whole time the Hell thing was still bugging me, to a point where it was becoming a psychological problem, and I fear throughout this whole story, I've downplayed how much of a mental scar the stories of fire and brimstone were (I was told along with all my classmates I was going to burn alive for all eternity if I didn't follow Jesus, so hows that for child abuse? So I remember having a long drawn out conversation at night with my youth minister (it's not like I went or participated at all in like 2 years, so don't get any ideas, they let me go on this trip for free actually cuz I guess they wanted to bring me back into the flock) and my pastor (once again, no ideas) and I guess I just spilled my **** bout how terrified I was of Hell and dying. Trust me you fear death alot more when you fear Hell.

That night I remember saying to them "I could never become an atheist."

LMFAO, I'm not even kidding you all, it could not have been a MONTH later, that I suddenly realised out of nowhere, "Hey, I'm an atheist!"

Went into junior year and atheist, came out one, still am.

See I could be agnostic, I'm not totally against the supernatural, I don't know much bout evolution, so while some might claim atheism as being a "staunch belief in the absence of a God" I honestly equate it as much more down to earthly, I consider my brand of Atheism as "Dontgiveashitism." Because I completely do not give a **** about any of it.

Which, strangely enough also means I ridicule religious folks..

Well, strongly religious ones.
    Team Member <3

I am raised in Protestant ways, more I don't really know because I am relatively uninterested in religion, unless asked of course. I go to church at least once a year. Baptised.

Morally, I rarely think something is better than something else and in discussion, I try to be as neutral as possible and/or try to balance it. I generally resent shootings of innocents and other morals most would consider basic. Most of this comes from my own social(ist) morality.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

This thread needs to be stickied again, I remember that a moderator unstickied it, and replaced it with the Existence of God thread. That thread apparently hasn't changed anyone's mind though. It just keeps going back and fourth over the same issues.

Oldgamer's Avatar My President ...
    Illinois, and I DID obtain my concealed carry permit! I'm packin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Julius View Post
    This thread needs to be stickied again, I remember that a moderator unstickied it, and replaced it with the Existence of God thread. That thread apparently hasn't changed anyone's mind though. It just keeps going back and fourth over the same issues.
    Lucius, all of these threads go back and forth over the same issues. It's the nature of the beast!

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Religious/Philosophical Profile Thread

The point, IIRC, of this thread was not to argue our points, but to simply lay out our philosophical ideas, summarised, and available to be viewed in quick reference. Like the political profile thread. Unstickying it and letting it slip into the second page is destroying that purpose of a quick-reference guide.
    So, I agree with the others, in that this thread should be re-stickied. In addition to the "Existence of God" thread.

Yes, if the Political Mudpit has a Political Profile thread, why doesn't the Ethos, Morales, et Monastica not? That way, we can easily keep track of each other's beliefs. In fact, guys...I'm starting a new system in this thread.

In the first post, I will add your names next to your religious/or lack there of, beliefs.

Dunecat's Avatar Praefectus

Ronnec: A History

Well, a brief one at least.

Born to parents that are spiritual, but not religious. They consider themselves Christian. Not knowledgeable at all, though. Don't really care about denominations, as long as it's protestant. At 7 I realized that my protestant upbringing was bullocks. I found it incoherent. I found eschatology particularly distasteful. Fast forward to age of 12. Realized catholic schooling was... incomplete, or at the very least misapplied. Continued internal dialogue with common grievances (problem of evil, incoherency of afterlife and duality). Fast forward to 17, jump online on a snow day to research a bit for my normal rant in an assigned high school philosophy essay. Find out about orthodoxy. Fall in love with all it is and all that it isn't. Fast forward a year, and am very comfortable with my current philosophy.

While I do try to humbly reconcile my greivances, I realize I might not have an answer immediately. Ultimately I love the work of the Church and I love it's Tradition, and I shall continue to live it.