Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Initial Objective: Which path should we take?

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

Default Re: Initial Objective: Which path should we take?

A second website with shared user base and some shared forums would be . . . difficult. Possible, maybe, yes. It would be possible to set up multiple domain names pointing to the same place. It would probably be possible to set different default skins per domain name for pages, and redirects to appropriate domain names when clicking links, and so on, but that would require more work. It would probably also be possible to display forums in a different order depending on which domain you access, but that would also not be simple.

Basically, this stuff is possible but not necessarily easy. I'm certainly not volunteering to set it up until we know it's a success, if then (I have a lot of things to do, mostly not TWC-related).

A subforum would require no work at all. A totally separate forum would require some work and some money.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

then maybe we have to go with a separate front page that points to a subforum? That may still work.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

then maybe we have to go with a separate front page that points to a subforum? That may still work.
    That works too although i still want to see a totally new site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Ragabash's Avatar Mayhem Crop Jet
    Civitate

I don't like the idea of separate sites, eventually it would divide us in two different sections. Both sites would need their own staff, funding, active members to work with various different site projects, articles, etc.

It would create huge cap between those that would stay here, on TWC, and those that move to the new site, this happens sooner or later, believe me.

I would get rid of the sole focus on TW and expand equally to new categories.
    Under Patronage of Søren and member of S.I.N.

the sites could be separate but the forums could be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragabash View Post
    I don't like the idea of separate sites, eventually it would divide us in two different sections. Both sites would need their own staff, funding, active members to work with various different site projects, articles, etc.

It would create huge cap between those that would stay here, on TWC, and those that move to the new site, this happens sooner or later, believe me.

As long as there was a joint database there is only so much independance the new site could get.

Yes gaps will emerge, people will start to split into two groups, but the idea of the joint user data base means that the split can only go so far as people could freely switch between sites.

Also imb39 would own both sites and tech staff would be the same - I cannot for see the new site gaining much more than semi automamy undera joint data base.

Funding would again be controled by the same guy and both sites would use the same server etc I dont see why there would need to be seperate allocations of funds.

Getting rid of the sole focus of TW games here would result in the site losing its gold affilate status plain and simple - anything more than a very very minor change to the status quo would result in the site no longer meeting CA's gold affilate requirements - which isnt debatable. It cannot be risked and therefore two seperate homepages etc linking forums to here is just a fancy way of altering TWC's course as it wouldnt not actully be a new site - meaning that it would result in TWC losing its affilate status.

I have outlined the two possibilites for a new site in another thread - the only other option is a tiny expansion here or TWC losing its affilate status.
    Under the Patronage of Imb39
    Patron of julianus heraclius, TheFirstONeill, Boz and midnite

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

Like i have metioned there is mod released by vbullitin that allows a joint-userbase.

If the two sites are seperate then we will have two separate sites owned by the same person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

TWC would lose Gold Affiliate status if that happened.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Does anyone even know for sure what CA/SEGA would do with gold status? Even if there was a separate main page for every game and forums combined for both paradox and ca? EVERY game site that does multiple games does it that way. Combined forums but separate main page. They manage to keep getting into betas and new releases so why is CA different?

People seem to be just speculating, i think we need to find the real answer.

I would agree with Kanaric on this, if it is indeed the only route we can go. Since, I think, this actually involves Sega and not CA it could become hairier, as publishers are notoriously not very friendly (which is why something like blizzard or valve or even Bethesda, who publish their own games, are kewler). If the forums cannot be done by sharing the CC and database but separate forums, perhaps this needs to be done, then.
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

Does anyone even know for sure what CA/SEGA would do with gold status?
    Gold status is awarded to fan sites, not strategy sites.

Even if there was a separate main page for every game and forums combined for both paradox and ca?
    Don't know about that but if we become just a strategy site i can see us losing the Gold Affiliate status.

EVERY game site that does multiple games does it that way. Combined forums but separate main page. They manage to keep getting into betas and new releases so why is CA different?
    Those are game sites, not fan sites. Game sites tend to review multipe games, and actually provide proper reviews. We're a fansite, we're not like IGN or gamespot or jolt or whoever. It's why gold Affiliate status is for fan sites.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

well there are fan sites that do, the vault sites are individual fan sites with combined forums.

I think someone should ask CA if thats a problem. I can understand if its a general site with everything on the main page but individual front pages should be considered separate fan sites even if the forums contain thefans from both.

Ragabash's Avatar Mayhem Crop Jet
    Civitate

I like Kanaric's proposal of different front pages. Also, I doubt that TWC will loose any status within CA if we decide to expand the site, after all it's them that have more to loose then us.
    Under Patronage of Søren and member of S.I.N.

heres a suggestion

Two different front pages

the paraodx site uses a domain such as paradoxcenter.net which redirects you to a subdomain of TWC - e.g. paradox.twcenter.net - when clicking on the forums button it would automaticly load to the paraodx section of the 2nd part of the forum heirarchy.

the current home page would redirect people to a subdomain for TWC e.g tw.twcenter.net - when clicking on the forums button it would automaticly load to the TW section of the 2nd part of the forum heirarchy.

btw this forum is: Total War Center Forums > The Capitol > CVRIA > Curial Committees > Curial Committee on the expansion of TWC > Initial Objective: Which path should we take?

so imagine that the Paraodx homepage forums button loaded to - Total War Center Forums > Paradox

whilst the totalwar homepage forums button loaded to - Total War Center Forums > Total War

The current forum indexes (Total War Center Forums > ) would just be a choice between entering either halves of the site and would only be seen if someone clicked on 'Total War Center Forums >' whilst they were on the other part the site, because the Paraodox front page would direct users to Total War Center Forums > Paradox and the current front page would direct people to Total War Center Forums > Total War.

All it would require is a purchasing a domain such as Paraodoxcenter.net and setting it as a redirect to a TWC subdomain (e.g. paradox.twcenter.net) and then re arraging the forums organisation as to sperate the seperate parts of the site as much as possible - this would save allot of time for the tech staff whilst making it as seperate as possible, meaning that gold affilate status shouldnt be affected.

Does this make sense?

It would divide the site equaly and keep them seperate unless someone clicked on the first part of the forum directory they wouldnt enter the other halves of the site - thus meaning that the sites would largely be seperate in design etc whilst having none of the problems of two seperate sites with a joint user database.
    Last edited by Elrond; June 03, 2007 at 04:53 AM.
    Under the Patronage of Imb39
    Patron of julianus heraclius, TheFirstONeill, Boz and midnite

Also, I doubt that TWC will loose any status within CA if we decide to expand the site, after all it's them that have more to loose then us.
    Not really, they don't loose anything from it, and we would if we lost Gold status.

Oh and from www.totalwar.com(looks like Gold has been renamed Regiment):

Troop entry criteria:

* Open to anyone who wishes to begin a TW dedicated site.
    Regiment entry criteria:

* Established for two years with a moderated forum and a large user base
    * User guides on all aspects of game play and strategy
    * Example sites: fully fledged fan sites – totalwar.org. / totalwarcentre.net
    Creator of:

It doesn't count out two separate main page fansites with combined forums. So I dont see how that should be a problem.

Someone still needs to ask them. What they mean by dedicated site could mean many things. If you look at our forums now its not completely dedicated to TW there are many topics of conversation. Adding a area for paradox and having a separate paradox site that links to these forums I think would be acceptable.

That heavengames site and others like it are similar to that are considered dedicated fansites even though their fourms are all the same.

edit: Separate domains cost a dime a dozen this would be the most cost effective and least time consuming way as well.
    Last edited by Kanaric; June 04, 2007 at 06:32 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234