Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Initial Objective: Which path should we take?

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Re: Initial Objective: Which path should we take?

That is to say, TW community, CC community, Paradox Community.
    As i've said in the other thread, this would likely cause problems with the Gold Affiliate status as we would no longer be TWC, but instead SC.

Gold Affiliate status does have it's benefits though alas we haven't really taken advantage of it(myself included during my time as CA liasion), but i know it will definitely be a good thing to have during the build up to the release of the next TW game. CA are definitely leaning towards great communication with the community, and with Gold Affiliate status giving us access to the SEGA press vault in the build up to release of the next TW game we could likely put up new screenshots and videos at the same time as major gaming sites.

So if we go for Paradox games expansion, it would be best done as a new site, not jsut another section on top of the existing ones, as otherwise it could harm our Gold Affiliate status, which would harm our ability to draw in more new members.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Have we considered a game series that actually belongs to the CA/SEGA franchise? There are games for PSP, PS3 and XBOX, as well as PC.

One CA candidate would be Spartan:Total Warrior for PS2.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Baltar View Post
    Have we considered a game series that actually belongs to the CA/SEGA franchise? There are games for PSP, PS3 and XBOX, as well as PC.

I think we need to focus on a PC game - anyway setting up a sister site avoids problems with CA because it means that TWC remains a TW fansite - the new site would just have the same owner, tech staff, ToS and a automized joint user system with TWC - along as it remains non curial and has a high level of automany then it will be affectively a different site.
    Under the Patronage of Imb39
    Patron of julianus heraclius, TheFirstONeill, Boz and midnite

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

I think we should make a dedicated forum before start talking about a site. Let's make a Paradox forum let it run for a month, take it from there. That may also help us staffing the any new project.
    Another good idea.

Lets focus on PC games at the moment but if we see that we have success there we can slowly expand into console games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Setting up a forum is a serously bad idea - it wont attract new people to it - would you take part in a single forum for TW stuff at another site, when you can use this site - no you wouldnt.

If we did a huge expansion by setting up a section at TWC for other games we risk losing Gold affilate status because TWC would no longer meet CA's requirements.

A Sister site is needed to attract people on mass from other comunities - we simply wont be able to do that with a forum or two.

I know it is a risk but if it is planned and organised properly, if the right staff are appointed and if the right games are chosen then it will be a success.

Darkragnar's Avatar Member of Ordo Malleus

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Baltar View Post

There arnt any good games from CA/SEGA besides TW, Spartan total warrior was an utter disaster of a game.

As for exapanding into cousols , its not a good idea PC is the way to go as the general audience is more to our target demgoraphic , like more mature , more interested into "real" world politics..etc.more mature stuff.
    Member of the House of Marenostrum
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

Another good idea.

Lets focus on PC games at the moment but if we see that we have success there we can slowly expand into console games.
    There already is a Paradox Forum.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=320

The thing is nobody will consider it a paradox fansite and it will be hard if not impossible to attract people from the companies site the way it is now. The companies own site offers exactly what this already does. We need to offer more that only a site can give.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

moved

I still, however, dont see why they would be upset about the forums being one so long as both games have its own dedicated main page.
    If they're split in the way you say above CA shouldn't have a problem with it, as you'd have the TW site and forums, and Paradox site and forums. Perhaps even seperate wikis and download sections?
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    If they're split in the way you say above CA shouldn't have a problem with it, as you'd have the TW site and forums, and Paradox site and forums. Perhaps even seperate wikis and download sections?
    A seperate downlaod section would be needed to avoid confusion and to emphasise that its a different site. I am not sure about a different Wiki - if a joint member system was introduced (which is pretty much kery to linking the sites) then there would be so many common links in the wikis that it would be a waste of time to have two of them.

IDK if even a wiki is needed on paradox's site. There already is a wiki for each and every one of their games.

IDK what this wiki contains though so I could be wrong in its function.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    IDK if even a wiki is needed on paradox's site. There already is a wiki for each and every one of their games.

IDK what this wiki contains though so I could be wrong in its function.
    The TWC wiki is about the site not specifcally about the game - stuff about the sites history and info about houses and citizens is there - hence why a seperate wiki would probably be unneccessary.

Content Emeritus

Yeah i agree we don't need a separate wiki.
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    As i've said in the other thread, this would likely cause problems with the Gold Affiliate status as we would no longer be TWC, but instead SC.

Gold Affiliate status does have it's benefits though alas we haven't really taken advantage of it(myself included during my time as CA liasion), but i know it will definitely be a good thing to have during the build up to the release of the next TW game. CA are definitely leaning towards great communication with the community, and with Gold Affiliate status giving us access to the SEGA press vault in the build up to release of the next TW game we could likely put up new screenshots and videos at the same time as major gaming sites.

So if we go for Paradox games expansion, it would be best done as a new site, not jsut another section on top of the existing ones, as otherwise it could harm our Gold Affiliate status, which would harm our ability to draw in more new members.
    Have you thought about throwing it (the idea) out there that we may expand to include one other series (non-CA) on our website? I'm sure they would give an answer indicative of their likely feelings towards it...

Though, think about it, how sweet would it be if CA and Paradox both vied for attention here on TWC

The nice thing about Paradox is that they are known for giving betas and a LOT else to their dedicated fans. I wonder what they would do for a fansite?

Content Emeritus

If we are able to establish a good running site then i see no reason why they should not give us beta's and mods and patches.
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Have you thought about throwing it (the idea) out there that we may expand to include one other series (non-CA) on our website? I'm sure they would give an answer indicative of their likely feelings towards it...
    Given the fact that EU is seen as a competing series of sorts, and that the criteria for a Gold Affiliate site is one devoted to the TW series, im sure you can work out the rest. The whole point of the Gold Affiliate site is to award Tw fansites, not Strategy fansites.

The nice thing about Paradox is that they are known for giving betas and a LOT else to their dedicated fans. I wonder what they would do for a fansite?
    I know Paradox do a lot for fans, probably be best to do it as a new site as a result. CA might not have been the best at community interaction, but, well, they're definitely looking to change it.
    Creator of:

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen Administrator Emeritus

Gold affiliate status cannot be compromised. At heart, we are still a TW website and a hub for the modding community. That cannot be risked. It seems to me that we might have expanded the CM forums as much as is reaslitically permissable within this framework.

Content Emeritus

Now this again brings us back to the point where we need to decide about a new website with a joint userbase if possible.
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Darkragnar's Avatar Member of Ordo Malleus

Quote Originally Posted by imb39 View Post
    Gold affiliate status cannot be compromised. At heart, we are still a TW website and a hub for the modding community. That cannot be risked. It seems to me that we might have expanded the CM forums as much as is reaslitically permissable within this framework.
    I stand in agreement , gold affiliate status cannot be jeopardized at all cost.
    and for the kind of big expansion were looking for we cannot do it by expanding the forums , we cant fit all the mods of the new game here anyways.
    Member of the House of Marenostrum
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast