Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who Won The War: Britain, the US, or Russia

Indefinitely Banned

Default Who Won The War: Britain, the US, or Russia

Britain deployed the most troops in the West and fought everyeher except on the ground on the Eastern front
    The US produced the materials
    Russia deployed the most, killed the most and suffered the most

Who was the key ally?

Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Default Re: Who Won The War: Britain, the US, or Russia

All of them!

How can so many people fail to grasp such a simple concept? A tripod cannot stand on two legs, same analogy could be made for the Allies in WWII.

Well, the US defeated Japan by itself after Britain lost to the Japanese there. The Soviet Union really destroyed Germany and a combined British and US assault KOed Mussolini. I'd say the Soviets were the most important since even when the US and British began to attack Hitler they were engaged with less than a tenth of the troops that the Soviets were facing. And the Soviets had better commanders too, Zhukov, Bagramyan, and Koniev. Not that the US and Britain didn't do anything, I am just saying that Normandy is greatly exagerrated as the decisive battle of the war when it really wasn't
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Mig el Pig's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    Well, the US defeated Japan by itself after Britain lost to the Japanese there. The Soviet Union really destroyed Germany and a combined British and US assault KOed Mussolini. I'd say the Soviets were the most important since even when the US and British began to attack Hitler they were engaged with less than a tenth of the troops that the Soviets were facing. And the Soviets had better commanders too, Zhukov, Bagramyan, and Koniev. Not that the US and Britain didn't do anything, I am just saying that Normandy is greatly exagerrated as the decisive battle of the war when it really wasn't
    ²that

USa came out of it the best though, a great reputation, the biggest (and undamaged) industry and a scientific development augmented by japanese and german research.

While the USA may have come out of the war on top, it was Soviet Russia who did the majority of the work at actually defeating the main enemy in the conflict, Germany.

But to answer the main question, they all won; it is who was more important in causing the victory that is the real question.

Borat's Avatar Tiro

If the US would have had entered the war earlier like the Russians; i would say there would of been more of an impact on the western front and they might of been able to reach Berlin faster,witch would mean Hitler would of sended more troops to fight of the Americans and the race for Berlin would of been much more closer between the Americans(canadians, british...) vs. the Russians on the estern front. And this would mean the Americans would of been much more usefull militaraly, but i still think there the ones who where the most helpfull during WW2 with all there research, ressources, manpower, material,...

Plus the Americans are the ones who crushed the Japenese and who used the first atomic bomb during world war 2.

Yorkshireman's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    Well, the US defeated Japan by itself after Britain lost to the Japanese there.

Did it! Never heard of Burma or Papua New Guinea? The Brits and Anzacs fought the Japanese longer than anyone. We never surrendered to them! The biggest single battle in terms of men lost by Japan in their entire history to that date was against British and Commonwealth troops at Imphal and Kohima on the Indian border in 1944.

The Japanese incurred 55,000 casualties and the British 17,500 in a battle that lasted from march to July. If only they'd known we'd surrrenderd they could have avoided all that unpleasantness!

I think your maybe confusing the loss of Singapore with a general surrender.

To the original question, it's already been mentioned, every major power played their part in the victory, we can only surmise how it would have turned out with out any one of the main players.

USSR won the WWII but the war beneficiary is USA - gain the control of pacific and atlantic ocean trade routes.

H_man's Avatar Decanus

Simple: Canada... Problem Solved.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Well, the US defeated Japan by itself after Britain lost to the Japanese there.
    Are you stupid? Like Yorkshireman said, the British, Australians and New Zealanders never surrendered. Many of the victories won were by those three nations.

Americans absolutely won WWII, just about all of Europe was detsrtoyed by hitler, and The Countries that were left were in a sense roughe states, and their produciton was severely cut.

If the soviets weren't around Germany would of defeated everyone including the US. Soviets accounted for 80% of the kill/Death tally at the end of the war..

I do think its a bit of a crock how the US claim they saved everyones arse from Hitler.. Simply Put, USSR would of defeated Germany, Would of taken an extra decade and a few million more men but they would of done it.

Another thing you can look at is, After Hitler was defeated the Soviets declared war on Japan, So another struggle between them two would of been imminent..
    IMO the US was very selfish during the war, They got FILTHY RICH off the worlds suffering by staying as a neutral nation.. Didn't think twice about helping its allies did it. Now we look at it now days.. They are quick to ask for its allies assistance when its running low on Oil/Funds But when it can make money without doing anything its quick to turn its back.

my two bits

Somebody said: USA won WWII.

What will happen? If (assumption) USSR join the Axis-German; the winner is USA?

The USA got to reap most of the fruits of victory at a comparatively small price.
    The USSR's fruits were nothing in comparison to its sacrifices and Britain started losing just about everything after the war, so I would say that neither really won in the end.

Disappointing really, Russia and England should of got most of it, the US already made its money selling everyone equipment and weapons during the wars progress.. Dirty buggers, Should of came in as soon as England declared war, But they seen a chance to make a buck haha

LSJ's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Yeah... sure they came to help out a few years through the war when Britain was getting bombed, France was lost and Japan was taking over the whole Pacific. "You can jump in here anytime now!" - Churchill
    lol
    Sure it meant that the US came into the war with a lot of firepower, but the US was never in any real danger. Japan did not have enough power to seriously threaten the US mainland and interrupt its booming industrial power. And Germany could barely hold the Atlantic - the most it could do was send a few U boats over there to sink unprotected merchant ships.
    It would have been better if the US gave the Brits a bit of a morale boost during their hardest hours instead of sitting around selling them guns. Sure, they needed the tanks and guns, but they also needed the allies and the manpower.

To the question, the allies won. Every nation was a key player. But the US reaped the most lasting benefits, Russia got its own commie bloc, and everyone else got very little or nothing and lost a lot.

and what would have happened if the US wouldn't have gotten all its benefits after the war we wouldn't have this thread right now y because either we would be dead or just not have computers. secondly d-day was decisive cause they had to really focus on the the west in 1944 the only reason the USSR was going so well was because they now had 3 sides on European soil if we hadnt stepped in we be speaking german now
    its the show the networks dont want u to see

@The New Ceasar 476 A.D,

The main reason of D-day operation: To stop the USSR Red Army move into West Europe.

Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

I love it how some of the Europeans on this thread are *****ing about the US "getting the best out of the war", or "coming in late".

Let's get something straight here, the last time I looked the US Govt. serves it's people, the very same people who had no interest in wanting to send men to fight and die in what was considered "another European war" at that time. That opinion only changed after the wake up call that was Pearl Harbor, followed by Germany declaring war a few days later.

The US did what it could for it's allies through programs like Lend Lease (primarily because of the genius and foresight FDR had that war was unavoidable), but people really shouldn't have the misguided delusion that the US somehow had an obligation to enter the war when the rest of Europe did.

I've already shared my opinion on why it's rediculous to debate semantics on which part of the Allied "Tripod" did more than the others.

Take away the US and Great Britain starves, nor can the USSR supply it's armies with basic raw materials, and later gets coldcocked by the Japanese when they march into Siberia. Take away the USSR and both the US and UK lose millions of more men throughout the war, with the conflict likely going into 1947 or 48, and most likely ending with yet another armstice similar to WWI rather than the complete and unconditional surrender of Nazi Germany. Take away the UK and the Enigma Code doesn't get broken, the Germans & Italians secure N. Africa and precious oil reserves in the ME (no need for a Stalingrad Campaign), Japan cakewalks all over S.E. Asia (probably invades Australia) before the US even enters the war, and when it does, is further denied from using the Isles as a staging point for Overlord.

Just off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Caelius; May 13, 2007 at 02:11 AM.

The reason people complain about the US involvement in ww2 is because rather than actually help with their military they just sent supplies. The russians could have defeated the germans without lend lease. Its not a 100% chance, but im sure they could have. As for who won the war they all did their part. But in my eyes the russians did the most. -Leon

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast