Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Good Playing Practices

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Default Good Playing Practices

Through my own observations and knowledge as a software\hardware technician by profession, this thread will present a few tips for players to maintain as stable a game play experience as possible.

Good PC care practices:

1. Defragment your hard drives often. XP has a tendancy, like all Operating Systems, to fragment the hard disk with bits and pieces of files. This can lead to slow performance and, the worse it gets, to file corruption or simply mistakes in reading information...thus, CTD's in your game.

2. You should have a 'page file' when playing RTW that is at least 1.5x the amount of ram in your PC, but no more than 1 gigabyte. It should also be a 'static' page file...in otherwords, it is the same siz minimum and maximum. The reason for this is that Windows spends much less time 'maintaining' the page file if it is a static size...shrinking and expanding the file takes up cpu time, and can cause excessive delays if the file is very large. The reason the file should not be more than 1 gig is because that is all Windows can 'optimally' manage. The more you set it OVER this limit, the more you actually degrade performance rather than enhance it.

3. Run 'chkdsk' once a month. This can be done by clicking 'Start', then 'RUN'.
    In the little window, type: chkdsk /f. This will open a black DOS window telling you the disk is locked, and would you like to run chkdsk the next time you restart. Click 'Y' for 'Yes' and 'enter'. The window disappears. Then restart your computer. As it's restarting, a blue window will appear and say chkdsk will run unless you click any key. Wait for the seconds to count down, and let chkdsk run. Be patient, it will take a while sometimes, especially on very large drives. At times, it will appear that it's doing nothing....but in fact it is fixing and rewriting files. DO NOT INTERUPT it or TURN OFF your PC. It will just run again and again until you let it finish.
    Chkdsk examines the hard disk condition, the main boot record, the Index 'bitmap' where the location of all files on the disk are stored, and makes sure they are correct. If not, it fixes it. The OS will sometimes lose track of a file and it can be 'stranded' on the drive just taking up space...chkdsk will find and remove this junk.

4. Download and use AVG FREE antivirus. This software is great. You can get it free, beats the heck out of Symantec or any other AV software, and you don't even know it's there. ALL your games and software will run much better and faster with this AV software. 20-30% performance increase in RTW over using Symantec software.

Good RTW practices:

1. All the above help RTW and any mod run smoother and 'smarter'.

2. When you are done with an RTW session (or playing any game), reboot your computer to clear memory.

3. If you experience a CTD, reboot you computer...especially if you don't do #2 regularly. Many CTD's in RTW are actually caused by corrupt memory in ram, and not anything to do with the game or a mod. (I've had times when testing RS for an extended period where I tried to start RTW and it came up with an error that said I had to 'reinstall Directx'! This is a corrupt memory issue...) Of course, not all CTD's are caused by this, but if you've been playing a long time, have not rebooted your computer in days, or have been playing another game...reboot. You'll like the better results.

4. Make sure your video card has good ventilation. A hot\overworked video card will CTD the game in a heartbeat. Clean fans occasionally, and for video cards with mounted fans, check them often to make sure they are still working. They are usually cheap, get dirty, and quit working easily.

5. Keep a backup copy of your RTW directory if you have the space, and install your mods into them....not the original. This saves tremendous bother of having to reinstall RTW which can take an hour our more.

6. Keep RTW CD's 'mirror clean'. Finger prints, scratches, food particles, liquids, dust or any other crap you can get on them will destroy them quickly. Dust is more abrasive than you may think, and rubbing against the table top, the CD tray, or anything else creates tiny scratches that will only cause you trouble. CTD's can ALSO be caused by dirty, unreadable CD's

Can't think of anything else.... Happy gaming.

-------------------UPDATE FOR VISTA USERS----------------

I would advise that people using Vista NOT install RTW into the default 'Program Files' folder.....or any game for that matter. Create a folder called 'Games' on your drive, and install all of you games in there. The reason is that Vista with UAC enabled regards the 'Program Files' folder as a 'security threat'....or that software IN that folder is often in danger of being altered or taken over by malicious software, spyware, etc. For this reason, Vista's UAC 'protects' this entire folder from what IT determines may be a threat. Unfortunately, I believe there are times that Vista regards changes to files in RTW, and\or even installing patches or mods, as a threat to RTW's software. It therefore 'virtualizes' these changes, installs the files incorrectly, and tries to make RTW 'think' they are installed when in fact they are not (as far as RTW is concerned).

Also, see here for further tips on PC configuration:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=255333
    Last edited by dvk901; June 30, 2009 at 08:24 AM.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Default Re: Good Playing Practices

Okay, obviously I'm not a software engineer dvk -- what's a 'page file'?

Patrician

Sometimes called a 'swap file', it is an area of space on the hard disk where the operating system can 'swap' pages out of system RAM and store it for later use when it's not currently being used. In this way, a computer with 500MB of Ram can feasibly have twice that amount because the swap file 'mimics' RAM. However, because it's stored on the slowest component in the computer...the hard disk, it will slow things down if it's too big or used too much.

When you load RTW, the OS (Operating System) will automatically swap some things in memory to the swap file. If the swap file is too small, the OS can't swap enough stuff out of memory to properly load RTW, and thus will swap part of RTW to this swap file. This slows RTW down, and the computer in general.

That's why I say, a good size swap file will make RTW run much better.

If you have XP, right click 'My Computer', and click on the 'Advanced' tab.
    Then by 'Performance', click the 'settings' button. Click the 'advanced tab in the dialoge that pops up. At the bottom of this you will see 'Virtual Memory'...click the 'Change' button. This is where you 'set' the swap file.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Hey DVK,

I am also an It Consultant by trade and I have a question about AVG. One of my clients had it installed on thier machines and eveyone of them ended up infected with viruses. When I installed Norton it found them all and removed them. Can you tell me what makes this product so good? As my only experience with it has been bad.

Thanks

Deus ret.'s Avatar Civis

Interesting advice. Should the page file be on the system drive or rather on the drive on which RTW is installed? My computer does seem to maintain a pagefile.sys only on C: (system drive).
    Vexilla Regis prodeunt Inferni

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by ayradon View Post
    Hey DVK,

I am also an It Consultant by trade and I have a question about AVG. One of my clients had it installed on thier machines and eveyone of them ended up infected with viruses. When I installed Norton it found them all and removed them. Can you tell me what makes this product so good? As my only experience with it has been bad.

Thanks
    All or most of the IT people I work with use AVG on their personal PC's. I have never heard of any problem with it. I've used it for years, and never had a single virus escape it's attention.

During a particularly bad virus outbreak we had a few years ago, I installed it on a very sensitive machine our dept used to store important info. Norton was running on this PC already. Installed AVG and it instantly found several viruses on the machine that Norton never even reported.

So I guess it all depends on you experiences with stuff, but I can say that our experience with Symantec SCS has been an abomination!! I wouldn't put it on my worst enemy's PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus ret. View Post
    Interesting advice. Should the page file be on the system drive or rather on the drive on which RTW is installed? My computer does seem to maintain a pagefile.sys only on C: (system drive).
    If you have multiple drives (REAL physical drives, not logical ones) it's best to split the Pagefile between them...ie, 500MB on C: and 500MB on D: .
    Last edited by dvk901; May 25, 2007 at 07:47 AM.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Deus ret.'s Avatar Civis

Thanks! Yes, I have two physical drives.

And AVG is indeed a good prog. I've been using it for over two years now, and it's not worse than most 'unfree' progs. Kaspersky may be an exception, but oh well....
    Vexilla Regis prodeunt Inferni

Thanks for the reply DVK. I'll revisit AVG and test it on some of my clients machines. It's possible that the people using it were not using it correctly.

Musashi's Avatar Semisalis

I'm not sure if I missunderstod something but you're advise seems a littlebit strange since on my combuter the recomentation for pegefile sice is 1543Mb and the recomentation for the maximum file sice is 2000Mb:s. Now it seems that you are advicing me to lower the amount of memory that my pagefile contains.
    Are you apsolutely sure that your advice concludes all cind of systems?
    Even if a thousand people believe in a lie, it's still a lie.
    Oh. If you don't understand my english then I'm sorry. I'm just bad at it. Now playing:

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    I'm not sure if I missunderstod something but you're advise seems a littlebit strange since on my combuter the recomentation for pegefile sice is 1543Mb and the recomentation for the maximum file sice is 2000Mb:s. Now it seems that you are advicing me to lower the amount of memory that my pagefile contains.
    Are you apsolutely sure that your advice concludes all cind of systems?
    What you are referring to is the recommended settings per 'MickeySoft Corp'.
    They poll your memory (ram) size, and hard disk space, and then recommend absolutely ridiculous pagefile settings that no one on earth ever needs. This is so your low-end computer will run their new Operating System and you won't complain that it doesn't have enough memory to do so.

What they don't tell you is that the larger the pagefile is, the more time it takes for Windows to manage that file.....afterall, it has to read and write to it, index it, clean out unnecessary stuff, shrink and expand it if you don't set a 'static' size......basically, it is a 'maintenance penalty' to even have one.

That's why Windows optimizer gurus recommend a pagefile of no more that 1gig......above this size, Windows begins to have speed and CPU issues trying to maintain it. So unless you are running a game or program that specifically recommends a larger one, don't do it.
    Last edited by dvk901; May 25, 2007 at 12:43 PM.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

I have two hard drives. My second one is an external one. That's where I have all my RTW files on. All the mods everything. So how can I do that chkdsk lock the disk down thing. On the second hard drive.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by century x View Post
    I have two hard drives. My second one is an external one. That's where I have all my RTW files on. All the mods everything. So how can I do that chkdsk lock the disk down thing. On the second hard drive.
    chfdsk (drive letter): /f

When it asks if you want to 'unmount' it, do so and it will run in Windows. Afterwords, you'll have to reboot. Chkdsk will check any drive the OS isn't on.
    It can't run when Windows has the drive locked.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Thanks for advice.
    I lowered the size that Windows gave of like 2248 or something like that to 1024. And I've acutally seen a slight improvement. My fps is much more stable. No more 30 fps and then I rotate the camera to show more than 1 regiment and it drops to 10.

Tankbuster's Avatar Analogy Nazi

Thanks a lot dvk. Tips for better performance is exactly what I need

I do have a question. I have a AV-program called McAfee. I suppose AVG might be better than McAfee. Now can I just install AVG and keep McAfee, or do you recommend deleting McAfee first?
    The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath
    --- Mark 2:27

Atheism is simply a way of clearing the space for better conservations.
    --- Sam Harris

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Tankbuster View Post
    Thanks a lot dvk. Tips for better performance is exactly what I need

I do have a question. I have a AV-program called McAfee. I suppose AVG might be better than McAfee. Now can I just install AVG and keep McAfee, or do you recommend deleting McAfee first?
    Uninstall Mckafee first. You don't want two of them running at once.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Face_Face View Post
    Thanks for advice.
    I lowered the size that Windows gave of like 2248 or something like that to 1024. And I've acutally seen a slight improvement. My fps is much more stable. No more 30 fps and then I rotate the camera to show more than 1 regiment and it drops to 10.
    The reason this helps is because Windows will do what you allow it to do....swap huge segments of code that should be in RAM to the hard disk. And because Windows is horrible at 'guessing' what's going to be needed in the immediate future, it often swaps stuff it shouldn't...then has to go to the swap file and dig it out again, which slows things down. Also, AGP video cards, by nature and design, 'share memory' with normal RAM, so Windows also stupidly will actually swap VIDEO information to the hard disk if IT thinks it isn't needed. You KNOW what that means.

Ideally...just a few more 'tidbits' of information, a system should have 2gigs of RAM and NO swap file at all. The built in Page File of Windows is an 'application swap file', so it's only applications that get swapped to it, and stuff they use. Windows itself has a VERY hidden (I've only managed to trick Windows into allowing me to see them once) swap file system it uses for it's own code...that being Operating System code. So if you don't NEED a swap file for applications (and you don't with anything more than 1gig of RAM), then Windows will run fine with no swap file at all.

However, RTW, and a lot of games, actually require a swap file, and will run faster (RTW does) if you have one. Why I don't know, but they must use it somehow, and probably have a better handle on what they need and what they don't need to be in RAM.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Yep and i have an agp vid card. Nvidia GeForce 7600 512mbs.

The performance of my RTW has gone up. Thanks alot DVK. This week it will go up even more when I buy a new video card.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by century x View Post
    The performance of my RTW has gone up. Thanks alot DVK. This week it will go up even more when I buy a new video card.
    isnt the whole total war series most impacted by the cpu power? rather than gfx?

Patrician

Although CPU power does make a difference, I've found going from a 2.2gigahertz system to a 3.4gh didn't make near as much difference as going from a 6600nvidia 256mb card to a 7600 with 512mb. RTW (and all games) are very 'video intensive', and more modern cards have a processor on them that helps the CPU. So yes, and no. Video is probably most important.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast