Thread: Byz story(partly made with the Sicilian Vespers 2.0)

Aeneas Veneratio's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Byz story(partly made with the Sicilian Vespers 2.0)

Okay, I was asked to repost my AAR here, since it partly contains shots captured, while using The Sicilian Vespers version 2.0. The parts in the first post are without it - to make it easier, if you just want to see the part made with the mod. Just scroll down to the second post.

Background

In the great years of Emperor Alexius the Empire flourished and grew ever stronger. Islands were conquered and Romanized into the proud traditions of the Byzantines. Treaties and wars were fought for the protection of the Empire. At his death Emperor Alexius had united his people and have made them ready for the beginning of an era of rebirth. Back to glory, back to power, back to feeling the respect of other factions and most importantly, back to being feared for its people’s valiant morale and decisive military strength. After Emperor Alexius the Chivalrous of the Commenus had died in 1118 AD, he left the Byzantine Empire with yet another great leader of the Empire’s people, Emperor John the Saint.

A smaller yet stronger Empire, than the time before the Manzikert, is now emerging under the reigns of these two extraordinary figures. Their reigns are lifting the Empire above the shades of decade, mistrust and corruption, which had hit the morale and once proud spirit of the Byzantines, since the Battle of Manzikert in the summer months of 1071 AD. Though young at age, at the mere age of 44, Emperor John is still wary of the future of his people. This is due to the fact that when he is gone, the black sheep of the Empire is sadly also the one to be the heir to the throne.

This disgrace, under the name of Prince Anthes, will one day be the Emperor of all of the Empire, if the provinces will even remain loyal to such a fool….

The plot is set
    At present time…
    It is a raining day in the midst of March and the Emperor has retreated to his palace outside Constantinople to seek solitude from the eyes of the public, the nobles and his generals. The rain is the only sound going through the almost empty halls of the palace. In the royal chamber the Emperor sits alone very saddened of the future. Half a sleep, half awake the Emperor is, when the door is suddenly opened with such a noise that it feels like an earthquake has begun beneath the Palace. The Emperor jumps up with drawn sword, while grumbling:
    “Nooo! You shall not have my throne, your catholic scum! I shall wrest you of your savage claims!” while swinging his mighty sword and almost cutting down a small palm in the middle of the room.
    “Sire, I am sorry for the intrusion, but this is very important…” says the man in a leather robe standing in the door.
    The Emperor, annoyed but now more calm, answers “Why have you come? Is it to help me seek an honourable path out of this crisis?”
    “Not I, Sire, the Council of the Bishops of Constantinople have decided to order your heir on a sui…adventure, which will make him fit to rule…”
    The Emperor, now intrigued, answers: “What have the Council found fit to mature that fool, who thinks he is worthy of calling himself a Commenus?”
    “Yes Sire, the Council shares your feelings for this…But then again he is the heir so it must be dealt with without showing our true intention to the public”
    “Why not? Everyone hates him as much as I.”
    “Though he is very unpopular with the commons, he still keeps allies close by, who could be seen as trouble, if the word gets out...”
    “How bad would it be..?”
    “We might be talking civil war…”
    “Prosperous!! How?!”
    “The Council has tracked his list of traits and by his less honourable deeds; he has made quite a bit and might already have Generals and maybe even Governors on his payroll.”
    “What is the Council’s solution?”
    “The Council wants him sent with the smallest army as possible to the castle of Trebizond, ruled by the vile rebellious Anatolians.”, a small moment of silent filled the room with intensity, “When he arrives he will have a little deposit of gold to spent on finding subjects to rule and to lead to the walls of Trebizond, where he will either find his bravery or face death by the hands of wretched barbarians.”

Loud noises are now coming from the passage leading to the royal chamber as the sound of tramping feet hitting the marble floor.
    A man storms into the chamber with eyes staring nervously behind him, like he was followed.

By the man’s outfit, which is a leather uniform, he is clearly coming from the spear militia.

The man: “Sire, I must have a word with you!”
    “Rest first my brave soldier, you look absolutely exhausted”. The Emperor summons a servant, who brings the soldier water and freshly baked bread.
    After the man has regained some of his strength, he speaks up:
    “Thank you sire, but the dire news is left to be told and the plot to be unfolds. As we speak the Hungarians are marching towards us with a remarkable pace, and this is while the untrustworthy Venetians are trying to block the Strait of Bosporus by a large fleet coming from the South.”

The Emperor quickly response by sending the servant to the military building and find his friend, and family, Andronicus Commenus. As Andronicus enters the chamber, the Emperor says:
    “Andronicus! Send an envoy to Admiral Foteinos at once,” he orders Andronicus, “and tell him to make ready to burn down the warmongering fools of Venice! After that, come back here and we will ride out to meet the Hungarians”
    Andronicus Commenus: “Yes John, I will go with haste.”

The meeting was done and the plot was set. The path of the Empire was yet to be decided by the outcome of all of this.

The Long March
    “Fools! Force me off to this forgotten outland of Civilization! THIS want be the end for me!” Prince Anthes loudly out bursting his discontent at the present of his loyal guards and the few mercenaries, he had been able to find before the Council and the Emperor’s deadline, while marching eastward.
    Small sand storms came and went, while the terrain changed from the lustful plains, close to Nicaea, to the rocky and cold mountains of the region Halys.
    The cold became too much for the Prince, so he was forced to alter his path, which led him to the shores of the Black Sea. He was beginning to accept his exile, in a way, which would be same as saying that he stopped with the aggressive roars and out bursts.
    After 2 years of marching, in the year 1124 AD, and only half way to Trebizond, word reached his ears of the great conquest of Bran by the Emperor John and the magnificent heroic victory by Admiral Foteinos against the Venetian fleet.
    “Arrrgh! Will my horrors never end?! Oh why, was I cursed to take this path to my own doom?!” yelled Anthes, while slicing the envoy’s arms off bit by bit.
    The poor man fell on the ground, while Anthes went from using his sword to kicking him repeatedly until the man was soaking in his own blood until his breathing stopped. What a grim sight. The dark red coloured blood, not dripping, but flushing out of his body like the water down a steep river in the mountains. The mercenaries found the cruel Prince much more of their taste, and they almost accepted him as one of their own by the looks of their devil like smiles, while the guards of the Prince felt uncertain about the sanity of their leader.

As the Prince marched on through the Kingdom of Trebizond, more untrustworthy mercenaries accepted his money and command. The army grew ever larger by tribal Turkish nomads, Christianised Turks, Eastern Orthodox Christians, Christians of the Kingdom of Armenia and nomads of Alan. The cultural differences and internal feuds became a larger and larger problem as the time passed and still no signs of Trebizond.

A Byzantine ship was spotted by the Armenians scouting near the coast of the Black Sea. The Prince was quickly alarmed and went there followed by the most deadly of the mercenaries. He was greeted with an envoy from Constantinople with a note from a noble.
    “Lord Cladinos Ukanos sent you?”
    The envoy bows before the Prince: “Yes sire,” short moment of silence “I have gone through a lot of problems living up to his bidding that this should be unknown to the Council or the Emperor”
    The Prince read the note and started to laugh.
    “So my dear John is having serious problems with the Venetians and the Hungarians?” – “Good….good…After Trebizond I will head back and claim my rights as the true leader of the Byzantine people…tired of war, they will be…..they will all flock to me!”
    “What are you planning for the Emperor, milord?” asked a Turk
    “Like Andronicus Doukas did to Romanos IV after Manzikert! Blind him and send HIM off to exile!”

Finally in the year 1128 the Prince reached the outskirts of Trebizond. He laid siege, but before Trebizond was ready to surrender, he launched a full scale attack in the belief that he was invincible, and that his lethal mercenaries would do him honour.

Battle of Trebizond
    Against the Mighty captain Draganos the Byzantines and mercs marched without fear. Confidence of victory drove them forward and through the gate, which had been opened by a spy.
    The Byzantines charged towards the foe.

Too proud and too much full of himself Anthes charged into the carnage

Anthes ordered his men backwards in order to regroup

Anthes once again ordered everyone in a full scale attack on Trebizond’s centre

Victory

Though the fighting had been almost suicidal, the victory and the power shown by Prince Anthes was unquestionable and beyond belief.
    The March Home
    A few months later, Prince Anthes began to feel eager for a return to Constantinople and begin the plotting against the Emperor, but most of the Turkish mercenaries had abandoned him out of a sudden. His remaining army was too scarce to be spent on guarding him on the way back to the Empire. Prince Anthes took out a few brave men and left the rest under captain Nadrikos Logia. Prince Anthes was calm, happy and for the first time in a long while, looking forward to, where his destiny was about to take him.

After two months of marching and passing through the same parts, he had been to on his way to Trebizond, he felt quite relaxed and in the evening, he allowed his men to drink wine.
    Through the evening and night the spirit was high and everyone was happy to be going back to well known parts of the Empire. The men were having, when out the black night a tent started burning. Strange as it made have been, the men felt secured and went back to their drinking after putting out the fire.
    The next day’s march was going well, when suddenly all hell broke loose. An arrow hit a man next to Prince Anthes.
    Knight Rollo: “What the hell?!”
    Soldier: “ARROWS!?!?
    Anthes: “REGROUP!”
    But it was too late. Out of a sudden the surroundings were swarming with Turkish horse archers.
    Soldier: “How can this be? The Turks are our allies”
    Alan soldier: “It’s the Turkish mercs!”

Retreat!
    Prince Anthes was luckily to dodge the arrows and fled along with two of his knights. He and his knights ran until they reached the outskirts of Nicaea. Having no real army left, the Prince was completely open for an ambush. He found a small village and found it a suitable place to regain his strength. Tired and exhausted they found a band and felt as long as they were onto the hay. The next morning, they were about to get out of the village, where they strangely enough hadn’t seen a single soul as of yet,

when Prince Anthes suddenly found himself in the shadow of…
    Knight Basilos: “Arrows!”
    Knight Rollo: “Protect the Prince!”

After being chased around the village and finding no way out, they decided to charge through them to victory or to death!

Knight Basilos was the first to fall.

The Prince fought on furiously and cut many of the ambushers down,

before he fell as well.

Only Knight Rollo was left to fight, and a sudden grip of fear made him retreat.

“I can’t do this!” said Rollo and turned his horse around and looked upon the numerous foes coming for him with a decisive, death-defying look in his eyes: “CHARGE! FOR THE PRINCE! FOR THE EMPIRE!!”

He fought couragously until he too was slain

Civil War

With the passing of Prince Anthes a swift breeze of mistrust spread throughout the Empire. Powerful nobles questioned every part of the Prince’s affairs in Anatolia and the reason to send him off to this wilderness without a proper army. While the mistrust and civil strife occurred, the Hungarians and Venetians launched a united army against Constantinople to siege the opportunity. Emperor John the Saint rallied his people through the rebellious roars of the masses and the nobles, and fought off the Venetian-Hungarian Alliance at Constantinople. In the bloodshed at the gates, the walls and the streets of Constantinople a new Byzantine Empire aroused. Trust in John the Saint came back and the people rejoiced and looked forward to a future of growth, wealth, stable leadership and power.

The First to Fall
    Ionnikus had awoken early in the morning. It was still a bit dark outside and his parents were still asleep. He walked out of the farmhouse with the intention of feeding the chickens, and that was when he heard…
    Loud noises made the earth beneath him tremble and at the first sound, he felt onto the dirty ground in fear. Loud voices, he heard, began coming from the distant. Ionnikus ran back into the farmhouse to awake his parents.
    “Mother, father….wake up!!”
    “Aww, if this is another nightmare… I am so going to set you straight…” said the father
    “No..no…Come quickly outside…something or someone…is approaching…”
    The parents, very annoyed, came outside only to be met by a huge army coming straight for the farm. The Byzantine family hugged closer together as a leading figure came riding on a black steed toward them, in front of the main army, dressed in shinning armour.
    “Who is in charge of this place?” asked the man
    “I am, good sir” answered the father
    “I am General Giovanni Selvo of the Venetians” said the man and continued “Good, my men need food and water! Bring it to us or we will take it by force!”
    “Of course, right a way” said the father wavering
    The father summoned his servants and ordered them to find all water and food available. An hour later everything was ready to be handed over to the soldiers.
    “I am glad, you followed my orders without questions..but…we can’t have you, your family or your servants warning the fools in Constantinople…”
    “But…but…but…sir, I did what you ordered….I won’t warn anyone, if you order me not to”
    “You are a good man, but I can’t trust your words will keep your servants at bay.. and my orders were very clear…” a long silent moment followed, until the General continued “Kill them all and burn the farm down!”
    Up in flames the farm went, while blades were swung in front of it. One by one the Byzantines were slain by the Venetian soldiers. The grass was covered in ashes and blood, as the Venetians moved on towards their goal.

A Routine March
    General Arcadius was leading his small patrol army through the Thracian countryside, while he was quite relaxed after getting away from the rebellious mood in the city of Constantinople. His orders were to march to Thessalonica and reinforce the garrison there. As the march continued, they came across two Byzantine scouts hanging from a tree. The morale of the men began to waver, as they were ordered to march on. General Arcadius lingered a while below the men, and it made him certain that the two men were part of his scouting patrol sent ahead of the main column earlier the same day. Through a dark forest the army went, while darkness began to surround them. The morale went from wavering to shaken, but no ambush came. At the first sightings of the forest’s end, the men’s morale began to rise. The Byzantines made camp outside the forest and had an uneventful night. As the morning came the march continued. As they entered an open field the ground began to shake and they would soon find themselves in the worst nightmare of their lives…
    The Hungarians and Venetians marching towards the unprepared Byzantines

As Arcadius faced the Mighty Army of the Alliance, he ordered an quick withdrawal...

The Slaugther

All of Arcadius’ army was slain, while Arcadius was imprisoned and taken to the Council of the Venetian and Hungarian Generals.
    Conflict in Constantinople
    Soon the darkness would tighten around Constantinople and swallow the citizens in one evil bite. Parts of the city were under the control of rebels commanded by nobles, who had been supporters of Anthes. As the rumours spread concerning a marching horde from the West, the hatred towards the Council and the Emperor grew. Who else, people thought, would make such a laughable attempt to gather the people through a tale of a greater evil approaching? Blood was spilt and the scars grew deeper, and all sense of unity was forgotten. This time took is toll on the Byzantine Empire.

Most of the provinces were kept uninformed of the situation in Constantinople, but, that was only until local nobles loyal to the memories of Anthes succeeded in spreading the news of the situation, though the local governors, armies and garrisons tried to keep it hidden.

For months the civil strives had increased and intensified throughout the Empire. First in midst of October began the beginning of the end. Gray news arrived to the city as peasants from the countryside out of a sudden had begun fleeing into the city. Rumours now spread rapidly about a huge army of Venetians and Hungarians marching towards the city. At this time Emperor John the Saint had grown wary and his face and body had been scared many times through countless battles against the rebels. The envoy, who delivered the news to the Emperor, didn’t recon the former glorious Emperor as his hardened face have made him look twice as old as he was.

After much consideration and debate between the Emperor and the Council, they came to the conclusion that he was the only one, who could save the Empire. After the words of God, who had come from the religious leaders, he marched out of his palace in his finest armour followed by his loyal Varangian Guard. Through the roars of the people and the nobles alike; he silenced them all with one determined look upon them. All fighting stopped as he began to speak.

“Hear me now, brave people of this great land! We have through the last months stumbled on the roots of evil and mistrust. Our common sense of pride has fallen under the sway of corruption and our brothers have spilt blood over it. As we continue fighting our fellowman, a horde is approaching our walls. Divided we are no match. Divided our shields will be scattered and all hope for a renewed and glorified Empire will be gone. This evil is coming to consume of all. Merchant armies of Venice are coming for us. Paid well and granted land for their conquest they might be. BUT! That can not compare to the loyalty of a true Roman fighting against an evil foe fill with his own devotion for his country. Even so the Venetians have brought the inferior, uncivilized people of Hungary, who are forced forward by decadent nobles, who see them as cattle for the slaughter. Hah! A slave is no match for a free man. We will stand together for a united devotion for the Almighty God, Lord of Heaven and of the Earth, and the Empire, when we will wrest these people of their heretic lives and foolish claim”

As the words of the Emperor ended, the cheering of the crowd began. The whole city was thrilled and eager to fight for the Emperor, as they all marched towards the gates and walls of the city.

Default Re: Byz AAR(partly made with SV)

Part made while using the Sicilian Vespers version 2.0

The Silence before the Storm
    ”Forward!” yelled General Giovanni Selvo,
    as the united army entered the outskirts of Constantinople. At his side the famous Hungarian Prince Lászlo accompanied him on his horse. The men seemed eager for a real fight. After all, they had only fought measly peasants and patrols for over a year of marching through the Balkans, Macedonia, Northern Greece and Thrace.
    “Hungarians! We head northeast!” the Hungarian Prince shouted, “We will clash these orthodox devils from two sides and devastate their morale by our superiority might and bravery!”
    “FOR HUNGARY!” a Hungarian soldier shouted impetuously into the air.
    “For the Doge!” a calmer Venetian soldier shouted into the air.
    Slowly the two armies spread up, while the Venetians stayed west of Constantinople, the Hungarians headed Northeast.
    The Hungarians spent most of day with marching to the Northern side of Constantinople and onwards towards the strait of the Bosporus to the East of the city.

At nightfall the two armies had laid camp on each side of the city. The spirit was high, though everything in the camps was quiet due to strict rules about not giving away their positions. Giovanni Selvo walked through the camp a little over midnight to inspect the men. Infantry, Knights and Archers everywhere were making their gear ready for combat. The infantry was sharpening their axes, spears and swords; the knights were readying their horses, while their servants prepared their armour. In the improvised archery the archers eagerly trained with their bows on hitting dead corpses of Byzantine soldiers, whom bodies were wrapped in leather. The leather was wrapped around them in an attempt to reduce the risk of disease spreading caused by rotten carcasses.
    In Constantinople the people was preparing themselves as well. No news had come about the exact whereabouts of the enemy army for a long time, but the enemy couldn’t be far away now.

Through blood an Empire is forged!
    First blood
    The Venetian Trebuchets fired upon the walls of Constantinople

Venetian Knight

Venetian soldiers taunting the Byzantines

East of Constantinople the Hungarians were also preparing for the coming slaugther, while their Trebuchets fired destruction upon the walls.

As wall sections fell the fight drew even closer...

After several sections had been destroyed, Giovanni Selvo felt confident that the time had finally come and ordered his army forward

On the other side of the city Prince Lászlo also felt certain and ordered his army towards the city

Emperor John the Saint responded the threat by ordering the achers to fire upon the foe

Even though the arrows hit hard on the Hungarians, they continued onwards

On the Western side, where the Venetians were about to enter the city, the Byzantines moved back into the city

Arrows striking down on the advancing Venetians

Chaos
    Venetians and Byzantines in a deadly struggle

Oh the inhumanity!

The battle viewed by a hiding citizen through a window

Meanwhile the Hungarians advanced even further into the city

And soon after they entered the townsquare, where most of the Byzantine army was located.

In this second luck ran out for General Giovanni Selvo as he was surrounded completely and slain.

Fighting in the townsquare

A Byzantine soldier saw the lines were wavering and yelled as loud as he could, "Let not hope fail you now, my Brothers! Fight! Fight for the survival of your family, the Empire and most of all the Almighty God!"

The Retreat
    The Byzantines had finally done it. The Hungarians had lost all hope and were fleeing without order

On the other side the Venetians had abandoned all hope aswell and were fleeing the city.
    The Hungarian General Lászlo and his men however found themselves surrounded,

and so did he finally find himself wanting...

It was in these hours that a Empire was forged...on the walls, at the gates and in the streets that Emperor John the Saint fought of these vile Catholics...

Every last pocket of resistance was quelled, while General Andronikus hunted down retreating enemies

The next morning the people of the Byzantine Empire woke up with renewed strength and hope. The struggle had ended in a mighty victory and the Godlike trials had ended. The Empire would recovered the wounds spilt by the Hungarians and the Venetians over time, but the blood spilt between brothers would always lay as a demonic curse upon the Empire and its people.

Victory celebration
    After the undeniable victory, Emperor John received the grace of the people and held a festive for everyone to enjoy. The festive lasted for several days and the city was full of joy and hope. For the Emperor the festive ended suddenly as reports reached him. Emperor John was deeply saddened by the carnage throughout the great city of Constantinople, which had been caused by internal feuds and the battle against the Alliance. The Emperor now received several reports of the losses throughout the Thracian Region. Hundreds, thousands had been slaughtered without his awareness. It was time for action. Lingering on false inspectations of safety would be vain and a true sacrifice of all that had been won. Emperor John summoned Andronikus Commenus to his palace to inform him of his plan.
    "Welcome Andronikus!" said the Emperor
    "Good to see you again, John" Andronikus replied
    "I believe you have also heard of the evil deeds caused by the Venetians and Hungarians to our people in the fields of Thrace."
    "Yes, but only rumours and gossip in the streets of the city"
    "Well, I can inform you that the true losses of these deeds can be counted in the thousands of slaugthered citizens."
    "Those devil-loving, pigsmelling Venetians...!! And those measly, doglike creatures of the Hungarians..!!"
    "Calm down for a moment, my Brother, save your strength for later, when it counts."
    "Ofcourse"
    "In two days we will ride out to hunt down the Alliance's Army, which is currently heading towards a small castle in Serbia."
    "The men will be ready, John", short moment of silence "but! Don't try to stop me from killing every single one of those scums...!"
    Before the Emperor could answer, Andronikus had already left the chamber.

For Our Fallen!
    Marching out
    Two days later the Byzantine Army marched out of Constantinople.

Payback
    A month later the Byzantine Army entered Serbia. Here lived a people, who had long been kept under control of the Hungarians. When Serbian peasants saw the army marched by their fields, they quickly spread the news and Serbian Nobles joint force with the Byzantines, who gladly welcomed the Serbs into their fold. United the two armies surrounded the Venetians and the Hungarians in a small castle.

Byzantine Trebuchet firing on the walls

Serbian Army

The Serbians, tired of their Hungarian overlords, threw everything at the Castle in a suicidal rage.

The Serbian General Gradimir

Byzantine Archers

After lossing half of their men, the Hungarians and the Venetians moved together in the square and awaited their doom

All the soldiers of Venice and Hungary were killed under Andronikus' orders. Leaving the castle in the hands of the Serbs, the Byzantine Army continued its march towards the Hungarian Capital of Budapest.

Death to the Hungarians
    As the Army moved closer to the city, more locals joint in. Another Serbian Army under the command of the Noble Tihomir joint the Byzantines, aswell as a Bulgarian Army under the command of the Noble Vitleem.
    The three armies took position all around the city of Budapest and awaited the order to attack. A week later the attack began. Before the attack Andronikus and Emperor John had made thorough calculations of the defences.

Bulgarian Army

Serbian Army

The Serbs moved towards the gate on their side of the city, while the Byzantines fired with their trebuchets on the walls on their side of the city. Instead of making prudent judgement of how to avoid casaulties the Bulgarians hurried to the walls and began to climb it.

The Serbs quickly destroyed the gate and stormed through.

In the mean time the Byzantines were also charging the city

After winning the walls, the Bulgarians captured the nearby gate and charged through.
    [IMG]
    Shortly after the carnage began in the townsquare...

Through Blood a Empire is forged...Through Blood a Empire is lost...Through Blood the Hungarians are broken...
    It was a sound victory and the cheering of the freed people of the renewed Bulgaria and Serbia were even louder than the cheering of the Byzantines, when they won at Constantinople. A man fighting off the bounds of slavery cheers loud. A man fighting off his overlord and breaks free of slavery cheers louder.

Still not content, Emperor John and Andronikus marched on. The Venetians had still not paid for their sins.

The Venetian Counter
    Four months later the Army entered Northern Italy. North of the Peninsula of Istria the Byzantines encounted a Venetian army sent to crush them once and for all.

Marching Byzantine army

Venetian army

Venetian Archers firing upon the Byzantines

Some soldiers find their death

The armies meet

The day is filled up with hours of fighting...until the Venetians are completely surrounded

The Venetians break and run...some Venetian Knights, however, deny themselves to retreat and charge upon the numerous Byzantines

Though outnumbered the Knights fought. One by one they found their deaths. Though dead for their actions the Knights set a great example of Chivalry and Honour through their sacrifice. Due to their heroic act many survived and fled the field.

After a sound victory the Byzantines moved onward towards the Region of Veneto...
    Last edited by Aeneas Veneratio; May 28, 2007 at 04:12 AM.

Default Re: Byz AAR(partly made with the Sicilian Vespers 2.0)

Excellent AAR!, you do great work

Chivalry II TW : The Sicilian Vespers - The Multi-Era Mod Project (MIITW/Kingdoms)
    Chivalry I TW - The Original Medieval Total Conversion Mod (BI 1.6 Or RTW 1.5)
    Under the Patronage of Atterdag

BNS's Avatar ...

Awsome !

Great work!

Hold on, did the Hungarians and Venetians join forces to attack your capital in the campaign? And then actually attacked simultaneously??

And then you did the same to them with the Serbs & Bulgarians??

If yes, then wow, I really should try this mod!

PS nice AAR, a great read

it looked like it was done in custom battles due to the captain models and simultaneous attacks

Actually the story telling part took over, when Anthes died since people were begging for more...and the battle would be more exciting than some lousy armies made by the AI. I should have been more clear, when I posted it. In the AAR section, I didn't call it a "byz AAR", but just the normal title refering to it as a good byz story with an AAR-like beginning.
    R2TW stance: Ceterum autem censeo res publica delendam esse

Default Re: Byz story(partly made with the Sicilian Vespers 2.0)

The Genovans Intervene
    As the march continued onwards into the heartland of Northern Italy, more and more notice was taken of the grand army. The news spread near and far about the coming of the Rhomaioi. Eventually the news spread to the city of Genoa, a powerful citystate ruled by a Noble Count, who had long been a trusted and loyal friend to the Doge Antonio of Venice. The Count quickly rallied an army of brave elites of many internal Italian feuds over the past years. After a speedy march the Genovans encountered the Rhomaioi at Vicenza.

The two armies were at an even match in the matter of numbers, but in the matter of combat experience the brave men of the Byzantine Empire were far superior to the ones of Genoa.
    Without must consideration the elites of the Byzantine Empire charge forward in the belief that they would be victorious easily...

But the truth would be far from theirs...a bloody carnage was about to begin

As the fight was most intense the Genovan Cavalry charged into the midst of combat

After several failed attempts on doing any real damage the Cavalry breaks off from the battlefield and head for the flank to the North of it. After succesfully escaping the ongoing slaugther the Cavalry's captain Angelo spots the Byzantine Archers situated a few paces away from the battle.

The Archers, however, are not easily succumb by a few measly Horsemen and fire deadly arrows at them

The impact is beyond everyone's imagination...the Cavalry was almost slaugthered... the ones remaining desperately try to flee the field

Back on the battlefield the carnage goes on...

As the strength of the Genovans begin to faultered, so do their morale as well...the following seconds spread confusing among the Genovans and their lines are broken by soldiers beginning to flee

Seen from a Latinkon on horseback

Not everyone is so lucky to escape

The outcome was a well deserved victory, but the army still substained large numbers of casualties due to the recklessness of the soldiers and commanders alike.
    A Long Break
    The Byzantines were forced towards the Southwest to find a harbour, where receiving reinforcements would be possible.
    After two months filled with several encounters with warmongering locals the Byzantines finally reached the Costal City of Chioggia. The following months were a well received break from the fighting for the soldiers. Andronikus was in the mean time sent to friendly shores in Greece to gather reinforcements so further advances would be possible. Emperor John the Scarred was now in his late 50s and he was beginning to feel that his former strength was decreasing by every second, there passed by. While he waited for Andronikus, he spent most of his time in his newly commandeered villa in the city surrounded by servants. The daily routine was normally kept an eye on by the young Ionnious Commenos, who had reasently turned 19.
    Finally, after a total of four months of waiting, Andronikus returned with a large army, which almost counted 2000 men. The Byzantine Army left the city of Chioggia and went straigth to the North, where the city of Venice was situated.
    A Bridge Can Not Keep Us Out!
    A bit after darkness had come the Byzantines reached the bridge leading to Venice. At the bridge the Byzantine army had to halt. A hugh army of Venetians had taken positions on the other side of the river.

The Venetians, who hate the Byzantines for what they did to their men in the East, charged over the bridge in a furiously rage in complete violation of their orders to stay on defence

The Byzantine Archers once again rain death upon the masses

Shortly after the lines of the Venetians have been trimmed a bit the Byzantines troops clash into the Venetians

The Venetians, who at a closer look, count mostly militia and peasants, begin to flee from the Byzantines, but the Byzantines cut them down bit by bit

Into the actions Doge Antonio springs. Trying to rally his fleeing men he swings his sword up high and fights heroicly, until he is severely wounded and is forced back

After the defeat of the Venetians, the Byzantines line up in march formation and move onward toward the city of Venice.

The battle leaves behind...

[CENTER]
    The Venetian Merchants

Birds were quiet. The lands surrounding the great army of the Byzantine Empire were emptied of locals. None stood as an oppossing factor to challenge the might of the greatest and most civilized people in the Known World!

Emperor John the Saint was, however, getting increasingly ill, so the army was mostly led by his cousin Andronikus, who had recently been appointed the new faction heir of the Roman People. Ionnious Commenos had taken control over the Cavalry and had pushed his will through the ranks that he would be guarenteed the sacred duty to be the leader infront. Andronikus had reluctantly accepted this, as the Emperor John had given his support to Ionnious Commenos' side of the matter.

A few weeks before the battle, which would shake the foundation of Europe, a large army of Genovans had arrived in the city to help the Doge and honour the old allegiance between the city of Genoa and the City of Venice.

Even though the Byzantines were aware of these increased numbers of enemies, they threw themselves at the city with a rage that haven't been seen since the days of the Vikings. But! As always the foe is in need of a bit of shiver down his spine, before he shall succumb to the Roman might.

As wall parts collapsed in a chaos of rumbles the Venetian Elite forces gathered at the destroyed wallpart to await their doom.

After a few terrifying moments of rocks and burning barrols thrown into the city, Ionnious Commenos found himself ready to take up this challenge and throw down the Doge of his high throne.

The clash, which made such a noice that the Pope found himself wetting his pants in Rome, came shortly after.

The Varangians soon joint in

As heads were shattered...

and bodys were ripped right open...

...the socalled brave men of Venice found themselves no match for, in their minds, an inferior people of lesser Christians

Ionnious Commenos gave them no time to rest and charged the men forward

In a crossroad right before the townsquare the two armies met once more and the chaos was complete. A Venetian Archer found himself shot by his own men in the midst of all of this...

In a deadly blood rage the Venetian Cavalry threw themselves into the carnage

Even the Doge followed without consideration of the loss in morale, if he would found himself wanting...

The Venetians soon found themselves as cattle for the slaugther and fled to the townsquare along with the nervewrecked Doge. The Genovans still remained in the townsquare and were too shaken to assist the Venetians.
    As the Venetians entered the square their morale was slightly increased and the battle continued

- Space reserved for the last part of this chapter -
    R2TW stance: Ceterum autem censeo res publica delendam esse