Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your ideal mod?

Default What is your ideal mod?

I've never seen a thread with this topic, so I decided to open one.

What is your ideal mod? What would make you the most satisfied with having bought the vanilla game? What would make you buy the game just to play it?

For me, maybe, it's a total conversion mod that extends the map and adds fully functional factions in all corners; or for M2TW, a mod that takes you to the dark ages, and choose your way through the chaos. But a good looking total conversion mod that takes you anywhere, even to the Middle-East, would do.

Default Re: What is your ideal mod?

My dream of a mod is that it add a lot of other minimods for landscapes etc.with a good map and balanced unit(i am talking about RTW)

this is one reason why i started to make a mod myself

Busy!!!

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

I know this is not possible in RTW or M2TW or any total war for that matter.

I would like I universal campaign spanning from the very early age all the way t the Napoleonic era if not further.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

FATW of course! If you have an ideal mod, why don't you develop it? (If you're a modder that is )

A Map that extends from Iceland to Japan. From Siberia to India. From Norway to Ethiopia. Featuring 40 factions from various parts of Europe, Asia and Northern Africa. Timeframe from 500 A.D. - 1500 A.D.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

An ideal mod would be one that covered a genre/period I enjoyed *and* which offered good gameplay, powerful immersion, and a bug-free experience - oh, and was entirely modfoldered
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

oscarreeve's Avatar Getafix Loyal Companion

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas The Lion View Post
    I know this is not possible in RTW or M2TW or any total war for that matter.

I would like I universal campaign spanning from the very early age all the way t the Napoleonic era if not further.
    That, would be my ideal mod to .

but as well i would like to see a mod with things that can actually fly like planes etc..........

My Army ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Indefinitely Banned

A mod that revolutionizes the AI to the point where it is smart as a human being and strategizes and attacks and defends the same way as you or I would. Then I frankly wouldn't care for what time period, region or how many new units there are... the realism and excitement of facing off a real enemy that has a personality and master plan would be exciting enough. Of course this won't happen until maybe the 2050s.

Quote Originally Posted by mirage41 View Post
    A mod that revolutionizes the AI to the point where it is smart as a human being and strategizes and attacks and defends the same way as you or I would. Then I frankly wouldn't care for what time period, region or how many new units there are... the realism and excitement of facing off a real enemy that has a personality and master plan would be exciting enough. Of course this won't happen until maybe the 2050s.
    it could happen before
    if CA would spend more time into their game instead of releasing games like vanilla RTW
    i mean ok they did much,but the unit are really ugly and big mod teams show us all what is possible

Busy!!!

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

but as well i would like to see a mod with things that can actually fly like planes etc..........
    If we go too modern we lose the total war feel.
    Massive armies clashing and killing each other.
    Although what i want to see is the ability to field tens of thousands of units now that is TOTAL WAR!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Blue Lotus was a favorite for a long time, Hoggy's work is just stunning, then my own Mod took the title, overall i like good eye candy but obviously substance is important. The Crusades has both but was a little complex in terms of recruitment, but maybe I'll go back to it when i have time, then i really want to put some time into FATW, but i hate having to update with new patches so I'll probably leave that until the team are done with it....of course by then EOD II should be out so I'll probably play that more...hmm, to many mods not enough time....

So to answer the question, i like great eye candy and something not governed by history.

deRougemont's Avatar Yeoman

RTR was my ideal mod. I hope something similar will be created for M2TW; but I have my doubts since the community is split now between RTW and M2TW, diffusing talent and time.

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

Quote Originally Posted by deRougemont View Post
    RTR was my ideal mod. I hope something similar will be created for M2TW; but I have my doubts since the community is split now between RTW and M2TW, diffusing talent and time.
    samey-same, I'm all for realism.

LSJ's Avatar Protector Domesticus

My ideal mod would include:
    A larger map - more space between cities, and more cities, plus accurate layout and representation of islands and peninsulas,
    realistic unit skins and units, historically acceptable but not to the point of obsession,
    more buildings with various bonuses, allowing for certain types of units to be created: for example, one creates mercs and local archers, the other creates elite and homeland archers, like in EB mod for RTW,
    and better battle maps, including realistic ambushes (ambush in open field vs ambush in dense forest, and Greek polis on open field in the middle of nowhere vs Greek polis on hilltop)
    And better AI, but that is more up to the engine than the modders...

Mr Longbowman's Avatar Campidoctor

My idel mod is a mod that made much more factions to the game, to that point so rebel states were gone and replaced with smaller factions, the factions with in M2TW now should be the biggest and start with about that territory but instead of fighting against rebels all time you fight against small states, a little like EUropa Unervasilis. If they were more factions they had to be more units to so it would add much to the game i think. Though its not realistic for a mod

It would be great i think if it hapend

Tominokar's Avatar Artifex

The strategy map is realtime, including the movement of armies, while you can do other stuff as they move across the land. If the player chooses to personally command battles, the game will pause until it is over. If not, the battle will take several in-game days. Naval battles can also be controlled.

Borders are dynamic, Cities can be founded anywhere, and an area will not officially belong to your faction just by controlling it. You should need to completely annex the original faction or demand the land in a peace treaty. In the meantime it is simply 'occupied', with a high revolt risk and low income.

Colonies, trade routes and places of worship can all be made independantly from Cities, even in another factions area. These can be destroyed by said faction, provoking war.

Resources actually have direct effects, so the player is forced to trade or expand if they want certain commodities (such as iron to make steel weapons and armour). Production of buildings and units is limited by the amount of materials you have, but doesn't cost money if you use slaves. Inflation is a problem.

Attrition affects armies, so logistics have to be taken into account, but they can be automatically be replenished providing you have the manpower (and want them to be). It should take longer for the reinforcements to reach long distance armies, and they may be engaged on the way. So no more trapsing across deserts with no ill-effect.

Units are of realistic size, so losing 10 men is no longer such a big deal.

All this could take place in any timeline, though I would like to see it in the Roman, Rennaisance and Napoleonic periods (the map being the entire globe). It would be nearly impossible to travel to the Americas as the Romans or something though, the naval crew would suffer massive attrition and eventually mutiny.
    Last edited by Tominokar; May 26, 2007 at 10:43 AM.

"Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible." - Mark Jenkins

WImPyTjeH's Avatar Wimpy of the Sore Ass

Fantasy mods are my favorite.

Altough I like good mods like ED, RTR, ... I prefer fantasy mods.

My favorite is FATW of course, but LOTRTW and METW are on the top of my list too

W

I would love to see a mythological Greek mod, complete with controllable naval battles (no more of this auto-resolve stuff). Temples for the whole greek pantheon. Time frame from Phonecia's height to after Alexander's death. The mythical element might take away from gameplay quality, and Im not sure what factions other than city-states would be availible. (Woot Sparta!)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyknocker View Post
    The strategy map is realtime, including the movement of armies, while you can do other stuff as they move across the land. If the player chooses to personally command battles, the game will pause until it is over. If not, the battle will take several in-game days. Naval battles can also be controlled.

Borders are dynamic, Cities can be founded anywhere, and an area will not officially belong to your faction just by controlling it. You should need to completely annex the original faction or demand the land in a peace treaty. In the meantime it is simply 'occupied', with a high revolt risk and low income.

Colonies, trade routes and places of worship can all be made independantly from Cities, even in another factions area. These can be destroyed by said faction, provoking war.

Resources actually have direct effects, so the player is forced to trade or expand if they want certain commodities (such as iron to make steel weapons and armour). Production of buildings and units is limited by the amount of materials you have, but doesn't cost money if you use slaves. Inflation is a problem.

Attrition affects armies, so logistics have to be taken into account, but they can be automatically be replenished providing you have the manpower (and want them to be). It should take longer for the reinforcements to reach long distance armies, and they may be engaged on the way. So no more trapsing across deserts with no ill-effect.

Units are of realistic size, so losing 10 men is no longer such a big deal.

All this could take place in any timeline, though I would like to see it in the Roman, Rennaisance and Napoleonic periods (the map being the entire globe). It would be nearly impossible to travel to the Americas as the Romans or something though, the naval crew would suffer massive attrition and eventually mutiny.

You mean something along the lines of Mount & Blade? Actually your idea is something I've been dreaming about and I know many others have too including General Sun who's wrote on this although I haven't read up on all his ideas.

I really do believe this is the future for Total War or strategy war games in general.

Traditional restricted camera RTS games will grow in scale, while Total War will become real time.

"Pause" is something for slower paced single player play, but I think a real-time campaign map with mutiple players certainly addresses the question of people taking too long on their turns.

Would love to know if anyone is working on something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthLlama226 View Post
    I would love to see a mythological Greek mod, complete with controllable naval battles (no more of this auto-resolve stuff). Temples for the whole greek pantheon. Time frame from Phonecia's height to after Alexander's death. The mythical element might take away from gameplay quality, and Im not sure what factions other than city-states would be availible. (Woot Sparta!)
    Yes Mythology I'm surprised we got LOTR before a Clash of the Titans...

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Blue Lotus was a favorite for a long time, Hoggy's work is just stunning, then my own Mod took the title, overall i like good eye candy but obviously substance is important.
    Ah yes I forgot all about trying this mod! So we have the Eastern Mythos mod, now we just need the Western version! Hah!
    Last edited by Armatus; July 04, 2007 at 09:09 AM.

Largest possible map w/ 199 Territories, No New World, Max. Factions (one 'Rebel' - so they can create units/buildings), 0.50 turns, Regional Recruitment, UAI on steroids, Hostages in diplomatic exchanges, more emerging factions (Ottomans)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast