Thread: About the Region Limit

Default About the Region Limit

How can you tell when you reach the limit? I just added the last three settlements to my map (total of 150 settlements, 1 sea color). But the campaign loads up to 100% and then i get an unspecified error and a ctd.

Can somebody tell me whats wrong? and also what do you experience when you hit the limit? Does the error log tell you you have too many settlements?

Ralendil's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: About the Region Limit

Quote Originally Posted by LTShiftey View Post
    How can you tell when you reach the limit? I just added the last three settlements to my map (total of 150 settlements, 1 sea color). But the campaign loads up to 100% and then i get an unspecified error and a ctd.

Can somebody tell me whats wrong? and also what do you experience when you hit the limit? Does the error log tell you you have too many settlements?

when you hit the limit you get an unknown error.

On my map I have 195 regions, and can't add more...

however several people said that with the MTW2 vanilla map they had succeeded to add until 199 regions.

I would really love that someone show me that :p maybe they think they have 199 but they have 195... personnally it is what I think.
    I really doubt that everybody has counted 1 by 1 their provinces (I did it cause I corrected all the names of my provinces)

But, to return on your topic, if you have only 150... the error is somewhere else.
    Maybe you put a city on a mountain... just an exemple.
    Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god.
    Jean Rostand

Current Mod for S2TW: Sengoku Unit Cards

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

I would really love that someone show me that :p maybe they think they have 199 but they have 195... personnally it is what I think.
    Well I just use the paintshop pro count colours to tell me the numbers and look up the line number of the txt file to tell me how many regions I've got.

The limit is 199 + 1 sea colour. Reduce your sea colours to 1 colour (vanilla has a few different ones ) and you can then simply increase the number of land regions accordingly - don't do that and you will be stuck around the 195 land regions regions limit. Once you get to the 199+1 you get an immediate CTD - no kick to Menu. Downside is that possibly some fleets may get 'more' stuck if the different sea colours is used to help the ship ai movements.

If you are getiing the map.rwm rebuilt still and only a KTM then there could be anumebr of issues. Does your log say anything? Most likely errors are miss named items, missing or duplicate errors or have you amended something on the features map eg rivers and created a square?
    Last edited by wilddog; May 25, 2007 at 01:26 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

What the point of more sea colors?

Ralendil's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    The limit is 199 + 1 sea colour. Reduce your sea colours to 1 colour (vanilla has a few different ones ) and you can then simply increase the number of land regions accordingly - don't do that and you will be stuck around the 195 land regions regions limit.
    thanks for the tip

muchas gracias

+rep for you
    Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god.
    Jean Rostand

Current Mod for S2TW: Sengoku Unit Cards

What the point of more sea colors?
    Probably not much. It depends if the AI has anything coded which may help its pathing particularly if seas aren't linked (Nikolai1962 I think mentioned that reducing the sea colours had some effect). Other than that they may have got introduced when CA were working out how to resolve the old sea size limit that was in RTW/BI.

Well I fixed the problem. Apparently sometimes your settlements in map_regions don't line up with map_heights so you crash (happens a lot with ports), but I discovered a good solution around that using photoshop. I'm well on my way with my map of the world and its looking pretty good so far.

EDIT: In map_regions, you may place a settlement or port, but it may overlap water if it is on the coast in map_heights and crash to menu or desktop.

can we see a screen?

Right now there are no rivers, resources, or faction specific settlements. Every region is english controlled for testing purposes. Also, I haven't finished putting in all of the ports. I'll post a screen later today.

Just taking map_heights and reducing using Phototshop's nearest neighbor option will create an accurate map_regions which you can use to place ports. At least I've never had an issue with that.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

By the way, a CA code lookup revealed that the region limit is indeed 200

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

This one shows the whole map in the bottom left

This one shows a zoom in of Europe

I still have some coastline fixing to do and I have to add a lot more regions to some of the bigger countries still.

I was thinking, since each country will only be represented by one settlement, I would allow free upkeep for a full stack of defenders. So attacking a country would really take a strong force. Does this sound like a reasonable idea?
    Last edited by LTShiftey; May 25, 2007 at 01:19 PM.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

If you don't play against the AI, yes. The AI will move their stacks about too often.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Looks like an interesting map.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Very nice.
    Last edited by The Reb; May 25, 2007 at 02:51 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Wow. Kinda like Risk: Total War? Its looks pretty cool.

The whole premise is a hotseat campaign in which the early turns are spent conquering weak AI targets in a blitzkrieg style rush for land. After all AI is conquered the players will focus on eachother with the occasional historic emergent factions attacking here and there. Along with the mongols and timurids I also have planned a Viking Invasion and also a Nazi Germany emergent faction around 1930-1940. Once I do more research I'll add some more emergent factions.