Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with war against the egyptians

Default help with war against the egyptians

well this includes all the phalanx armies. whats the best way to counter attack these armies.

Default Re: help with war against the egyptians

like i finished off the greeks and macedons just through sheer size but lost so much men.what to do?

Use artillery such as catapults. These will greatly decrease the depth of the enemy phalanx and should make them more susceptible to attack.

yeah and i thought also like archers alot but i hear that the majority of the countries have a lot of calvary. true? and of it is what to do?

Well, what I do is have around 2 catapults and 3 archers then I have 10 heavy infantry 4 cavalry and 1 general. Use all the ammo from the archers and catapults then do a head on attack with the heavy infantry then have cavalry smash the flanks.
    '

Also make sure you keep archers and catpults behind the infantry at all times so they are protected.

thx cuz these armies like dont wanna give up they like freakin have huge armies after armies of phalanx. and im there building an army the size of like Russia, and all those perfectly well soilders go to waste. now that i think of it my cities have been decreasing by all these mass drafts. poor romans

Yah the Egyptians are known to send HUGE amounts of armys out. Once when I was playing the romans there was 33 egyptian armies!!!! Took forever to beat them. I suggest that you make an army with about 3 catapults 15 Infantry and 2 generals. Then put them in a boat and attack Alexiandria. The city is key to the egyptions and will hurt them very much in creating money for new armies.

yeah im trying to have a massive fleet to blockade all those well earning ports. but yeah im sending 7 of my 10 generals to war with the east.

how bout the parthian ppl wats a good strategy on those eastern madmen. lol jk never played them

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Don't forget javelins. They really shred those Egypt phalanxes. With Parthia, hire merc ha and ally with surrounding factions. They are tough ones. Sometimes though they just have hordes of eastern infantry-pathetic!

Try and separate units of Phalanx from the main battle group. Its much easier to flank and rout them this way.

Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by polarbear297 View Post
    how bout the parthian ppl wats a good strategy on those eastern madmen. lol jk never played them
    horse archers are counter-tactic for those less-armoured phalanxes. when i play as parthia, eygpt is easily crushed. after access to persian-cavalry, eygpt is crying for mercy. before i can even train an army with cataphracts, eygpt is destroyed.

Egypt is indeed a dangerous opponent, but all of it can be easily be crushed, just be careful of their chariots, and if you dont have phalanx or spearmen then you are pretty much screwed against the chariots. The best way to counter their armies is for the infantry to hold the line, the cavalry rushes from behind into their backs.......
    If playing as a horse archer faction, just aim for the chariots FIRST in their armies, and then just run around shooting the asses of the phalanx, if chased by their cavalry, then have some heavy cavalry and rush into its way.
    The best army to counter the egypt is the seleucids, but the stupid ai, attacks them and finishes before the campaign even gets hotted up.
    To defeat them successfully, have a small number of core infantry to hold the line, have lots of archers and cavalry, just pick off their archers and while the infantry holds the lines, SLAUGHTER THEM ALL!!!!!!!
    I was born chivalrous, but situations made me a dreaded.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

If you are trying to defeat phalanx formations and troops, the best thing to do is to go by Alexander the Great's awesome strategy of "Hammer and Anvil", which I know Prince_of_Macedon loves to use. Basically, what you do is that you keep the phalanx occupied at the front by infantry, then you send a unit or two of heavy infantry or heavy cavalry and hit them from the back. Since phalanxes are so slow, they will take a while to turn around, but once they do, the other infantry is cutting at their backs. It's a great strategy, and kills phalanxes really quick

Romulus_A's Avatar Semisalis

Best way to kill the phalanxes, as Xavier said, is most likely the Hammer and Anvil tactic. To deal with chariots, it's a must to have some kind of spearmen or archers that can rain fire arrows on the chariots and hopefully make the horses freak out.

Cav vs. Chariots is a fight I'm not too sure of, but I believe the immediate impact of the chariots would hurt, so it's best to avoid that and save your cav for the foot infantry.

As for those pesky chariot archers, use your cav to surround them. Send one unit to chase them around, and then send another unit ahead of them to cut them off, they're very weak once they're forced into hand-to-hand combat.

"Gafflwn Dihenydd O’r fuddugol yn wiriol sydd, Ni fydd neb yn ein drechu, Falch ydy ni I drochu, Traed o flaen I’r Annwn, mewn y gwybodaeth fe godwn ni."

That might seem so, but you would need heavy cavalry to actually beat them in combat. And those will have a problem getting ahead of them.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

ill agree there, they just rhodes in my current game with 3 armies, and landed a fourth. I cant even land on the beachs as the egyptians have all the room taken up.

Romulus_A's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Selifator View Post
    That might seem so, but you would need heavy cavalry to actually beat them in combat. And those will have a problem getting ahead of them.
    Well that's why you should always have light cavalry and heavy cavalry in your armies!

And regardless if heavy cavalry can take them, I still think that archers or spearmen would be a better option for chariots, their shock bonus is literally almost vanishes because of them.

"Gafflwn Dihenydd O’r fuddugol yn wiriol sydd, Ni fydd neb yn ein drechu, Falch ydy ni I drochu, Traed o flaen I’r Annwn, mewn y gwybodaeth fe godwn ni."

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

I'm moving this Battle Planning.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

I use a few units of archers for the chariots, heavy infantry in my flanking formation (6 units at the back, another split 4 or 6 units at the flanks) and heavy cavalry, missile cavalry is optional. Egyptians are hard though. Every time I send a stack into egypt, it gets the crap smashed out of it by several egyptian stacks. So be sure to bring around 2-3 stacks if you can afford it.

Note: This is for Rome, Greeks should use an arch formation to prevent flanking.

Hope this helps.
    Varus? Where are my freaking legions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast