Thread: HELP! i deleted my idx files...

Default HELP! i deleted my idx files...

So i was tinkering around and removed the idx files (voices, sfx, music, events) from the sounds file in the main data dir...game had no sound, ctd whenever i clicked on a unit. i put the files back in the folder, and now they are all 1kb (except events, which is 16kb) and it still isnt working...

is there anyway i can dl the original idx files, because i really really dont want to re-install...

thanks!

EDIT:

All the .dat files are also 1kb...dunno if thats normal or not.

Default Re: HELP! i deleted my idx files...

Unless you unpacked and deleted your pack files, I don't see how this would cause a problem??

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

i am using the stainless steel mod, and i was trying to change the descr_sounds_accents file so that the templars faction had a french accent...king kong directed me to this site to get the unpacker so i could edit the accents:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...?do=file&id=32

i followed the instructions and it unpacked the files into a new folder, called data, in the sounds dir....inside the new folder are all the mp3s.

not being what i needed, another poster emailed me the unpacked sound files that i extracted into my main data folder. i edited the descr_sounds_accent file, but whenever i ran the game the faction had the same old accent instead of the new one. the poster that sent me the files said i had to delete the idx files and rerun the game so that it could remake the idx files and have the changes i made work...unfortunately when i removed the idx files, thats when the game stopped having sound and began ctd.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

It's not allowed here to give the original idx files. Did you also delete events.dat and events.idx? You made a mistake somewhere which is why the game is not rebuilding the idx files correctly. To get back the originals, try deleting all the sound text files you put in the data folder and clean up the sounds folder, removing any extra folder that was placed inside by the idx extractor, delete the idx and dat files that got messed up and be sure you delete events.dat and events.idx and let the game rebuild them again.

Before you ever mess with any file, it's always best to back them up first before touching it in case something goes wrong.
    Last edited by Trajan; May 24, 2007 at 06:48 PM.

Ralendil's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    It's not allowed here to give the original idx files. Did you also delete events.dat and events.idx? You made a mistake somewhere which is why the game is not rebuilding the idx files correctly. To get back the originals, try deleting all the sound text files you put in the data folder and clean up the sounds folder, removing any extra folder that was placed inside by the idx extractor, delete the idx files that you deleted before hand and be sure you delete events.dat and events.idx and let the game rebuild them again.

Before you ever mess with any file, it's always best to back them up first before touching it in case something goes wrong.

well, to see the game rebuilding them correctly he needs to put the sound files...

My advice to him would be...

reinstall the game.
    Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god.
    Jean Rostand

Current Mod for S2TW: Sengoku Unit Cards

No, you don't need to go through the whole pain in the ass process of reinstalling the game and patching it up. I had the basically the same problem when I was messing with the music and I restored the original sound .dat and .idx files by following the process I stated above.

well, to see the game rebuilding them correctly he needs to put the sound files...
    That's wrong. You don't need the sound txt files for the game to rebuild the .dat and .idx files. The reason why you put them inside in the first place is to overwrite the originals which are already contained in the pack files.
    Last edited by Trajan; May 24, 2007 at 05:10 PM.

Zephrelial's Avatar Eternal Sorrow
    An ancient castle on a steep windy mountain peak.. away from all mortal eyes...

I hope you backed them up.Normally the game should regenerate them once deleted.
    Shine on you crazy diamond...

Ralendil's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    No, you don't need to go through the whole pain in the ass process of reinstalling the game and patching it up. I had the basically the same problem when I was messing with the music and I restored the original sound .dat and .idx files by following the process I stated above.

That's wrong. You don't need the sound txt files for the game to rebuild the .dat and .idx files. The reason why you put them inside in the first place is to overwrite the originals which are already contained in the pack files.
    if I do that, I get files of 24 octets...
    and off course, no sound...

proof:
    Last edited by Ralendil; May 24, 2007 at 06:42 PM.
    Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god.
    Jean Rostand

Current Mod for S2TW: Sengoku Unit Cards

What, that's strange. It always worked for me. If I had to reinstall the game and patch it up every time I messed up one or more of the .dat and .idx files, I would have been banging my head on the wall.