Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: FACTION: The Imamate of Oman

Default Re: DISCUSSION: The Nabhani Dynasty/Emirate of Oman

Hi Nnm. Thanks for the information, it would be good to give the Omani's a castle in their native Arabia, else they'll be in a bit of trouble if the Abbasids come south.

I'm not in charge of the map so I'll let Mirage speak on behalf of that, but your suggestions seem very applicable, simply having the westernmost Oman Province be a castle (if I understand correctly), and the Easternmost be their capital.

I figure one unit we were remiss in not including would be an Omani Pirate unit, which would be logical to have any Omani castle barracks. Idealy, we could make it so only port provinces can recruit them, but unless there's a hidden resource for ports or coastal provinces that we are forgetting, I'd rather not do the work for just that. Nothing special - could use the axe, or if we wanted to be a little innovative, it could be a khandjar and shield wielding unit, with exceptionally fast attack ratings but very very low damage.

However that gives an idea of having a separate Omani unit tier located in their shipwright buildings. Tier 1 would have Omani Pirates, Tier 2 would have the Light naval marines, and tier 2 would have the Medium naval marines. We may want to consider the style we're going for with Oman, if perhaps we want them to recruit their 'auxilia' units (Africans, Tribal Arabs, Baluchis/Iranians/Turks) from castles, and their regional AOR units along with native Omani Units (Marines, Pirates, Swordsmen [though these guys could pass as castle], Ahdath Merchant Militia) in cities. It'd give them an edge made up in the fact that their AOR Could be limited to the south and south-east of the map, or in the fact that their cavalry roster is less strong than their neighbors.
    Last edited by Ahiga; May 24, 2007 at 01:58 AM.

Beauchamp's Avatar Semisalis

I agree Aigha. The castle should be at Salalah in the southern province while Muscat should be the port. What if the Omani's owned Hormuz instead of Baluchistan? And had a stack of troops that could take it during the game, it just seems more logical seeing that Oman had a big tie to hormuz and to Iran.

I disagree with nnnm in the fact that Muscat should be the capitol (even though it was an independant city) because of largely historical reasons (Muscat being one of the Oldest cities in the world) but their should be a castle in the south for recruiting Arab mainstays. This castle should be Nizw'a, but the main port should be Muscat.
    There, the happy medium, and developers can decide the capitol.

The Mongol's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post
    However that gives an idea of having a separate Omani unit tier located in their shipwright buildings. Tier 1 would have Omani Pirates, Tier 2 would have the Light naval marines, and tier 2 would have the Medium naval marines.
    Wow, that's genius. That would be so awesome.

nnnm's Avatar Senator

Hi all,
    Names of the Nabhani rulers
    http://www.omanet.om/english/history/omanrulers.asp

about Beauchamp suggestion, he had good point, However the important cities in the north is ( Sohar , Muscat, Sur and Matrah) in center of oman (Naz'wa and Rustaq) and in the south (generally south called Dhofar) Salalah

Pirate and omani swrdsmen are cool. I imagine the omani sm in the white dress and over it leather lamellar with omani swords. it's cool

As Im sure that all of you know that persia is thew other name of iran.the turks first came to iran as slaves to serve the new persian(iranian) kingdoms formed after the fall of persian sassanid empire.although these persian kingdoms were by name under the rule of caliph they were all independent and fought hard for their new religion Islam. but because of the constant wars between themselves(like yaghubian and samanids) they declined and turks who were persianized took their place.The Official language of these turks in their castles was not turkish but was parsi(the language of persians). most of their sultans had many persian poets in their castles(youcan use their name for traits)and the sultans them selves tried to be persian poets but not so sucessful.I have many many information about this era iran and it take 400000 hours to type them here,BTW great job on the mod

"the turks first came to iran as slaves"
    "they declined and turks who were persianized"
    "The Official language of these turks in their castles was not turkish but was parsi(the language of persians)"
    "the sultans them selves tried to be persian poets but not so sucessful"
    "I have many many information about this era iran and it take 400000 hours to type them here"

smells like a panarian member here

lol, and its in the Nabhani thread

I like the idea of having land units available through the ports. Maybe you could increase the amount of money you gain from blockading ports or possibly mod it in if it doesnt happen already so that it can reflect the Omani's piracy

Im no panarian(wonder what that means but i think it must be something bad) and had no means to offend anybody.Sorry if anybody got offended.but all the things that i mentioned were true historical fact. an example for this was sultan salim 'one of the greatest Sultans of otomans Used parsi for saying poems but on the other hand Shah ismaeil the first ruler of safavid iran Used turkish for saying poems.they were at the same time and at that time ottomans were in war with safavids.

Quote Originally Posted by maximusarian View Post
    Im no panarian(wonder what that means but i think it must be something bad) and had no means to offend anybody.Sorry if anybody got offended.but all the things that i mentioned were true historical fact. an example for this was sultan salim 'one of the greatest Sultans of otomans Used parsi for saying poems but on the other hand Shah ismaeil the first ruler of safavid iran Used turkish for saying poems.they were at the same time and at that time ottomans were in war with safavids.
    sorry but i thought you are on of these ultra nationalistic pan-persian über human arian guys

it is true that turkish rulers used persian for poets. Did you know that Muhammed II. knew 7 languages?

in that time arabic was used for medicine and religious things, persian for art and poetry.
    like todays latin and old greek in medicine and paleontology for example.

to the others sorry for beeing offtopic.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by maximusarian View Post
    I don't think anybody was offended but you need to understand there are many turks and other peoples on these forums. No doubt Persian culture influenced the conquerers of these lands when they passed through, this is true from the times of Alexander was dressing like a persian, when the Arabs adopted persian architecture and governance and when the Turks did the same. However on the other side, its also true that the Arabs and Turks had an quite powerful impact on Persian culture too - just look at how many arabic words their are in Farsi. So these things are a two way street and not exclusive or special to any peoples.

[Originally posted by Ahiga]
    However that gives an idea of having a separate Omani unit tier located in their shipwright buildings. Tier 1 would have Omani Pirates, Tier 2 would have the Light naval marines, and tier 2 would have the Medium naval marines. We may want to consider the style we're going for with Oman, if perhaps we want them to recruit their 'auxilia' units (Africans, Tribal Arabs, Baluchis/Iranians/Turks) from castles, and their regional AOR units along with native Omani Units (Marines, Pirates, Swordsmen [though these guys could pass as castle], Ahdath Merchant Militia) in cities. It'd give them an edge made up in the fact that their AOR Could be limited to the south and south-east of the map, or in the fact that their cavalry roster is less strong than their neighbors.
    Ive been thinking. What if as a bonus, marines/foregin troops could be recruited with larger markets+ports?
    example:
    Larger markets/trade missions=more contact with peoples abroad
    more contact with peoples abroad means more troops

Historically, one would rely upon the castles to recruit feudal soldiers (your cavaliers, heavy infantry etc.). As the game progressed, however, the Nabhani's should move more toward a polis domniated troop base. So, the cities (Muscat and Salalah) would in turn, have ample troop recruitments as the cities grew in size and as bigger ports and markets were built.

Ive got some ideas for troops, but my computer just got wiped, so im going to need to reload all of the stuff I had planned.

It's certainly a good idea. Cities were recruitment centers as much if not more than castles in the Middle East. We won't totally represent that fact as it'd be unfair if Muslims could recruit more units from cities than Crusaders, but the port/market idea is a good one, and certainly a few units could be included under it

Referring to my last thread, here are some more recruitment ideas for foreginers:

-----Elites------
    Malay Marines (marines, light but skilled => huge city+great market+biggest port)

(Malay marines from Molucca, which was where Islam first made its appearance through Southern Arab sufi's/traders in the 1300's. They were masters at Pencak Silat, a very distinct martial art and made excellent marines due to their expertise at light combat.)

(These are two examples of Keris, or the traditional dagger from the Indonesian archipelago. They are crafted from a mixture of metals and meteor rock, and are believed to inhibit holy power. The Keris was the favorite weapon for the Malay warriors and other troopers in the Indonesian archipelago.)

-----Medium-----
    Aceh Warriors (medium spears => large city+big port)

(Aceh is another important trading area for the Omani, given its geographic position at the top of Sumatra. Aceh is another important place were Islam entered the archipelago. The warriors there, usually served the sultans and worked with the sufi's and traders as they spread the faith inland. Armed with spear, Keris and Machete, called Moro, they made formidable medium infantry.)

(an example of the Moro, this is actually an example from the southern Phillipines)

Indian troops (mostly heavy/medium swordsmen im guessing => could be recruited from mainland India. Im assuming a plethera of soldiery ranging from Pashtos/Baluchi/Hindi etc.)

-----Lights-----
    African troops (Sudanese cavalry, Oromo and Somali spears => medium city + market + large port. This could allow for the recruitment of staple troops early on and then gradually build onto the more "foregin" troops above.)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...6&postcount=38

------------------------------------------
    Another Idea: The local Omani Arab troops could be recruited through Castles and city Barracks, the ports and markets could bring in foreginers, with Omani marines coming from the ports as well.
    The elites, such as Omani Elite Swordsmen (Im thinking creme de la creme of the Omani Swordsmen) could be recruited through different tiers of
    palaces.

Shukran asdiqa!
    (PS. Will be added to, ive got some more units up my sleeve.)

South east asian units..Now you have my interest.
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

I like the sound of that, AD. Mmmm...

AD: Now that Ive gotten your attention, Ive always wanted to add Indonesian units, but since their wasn't a large Islamic presence untill 1400's-1500's, the marines/aceh mercs wouldnt appear in Oman until their is substantial growth of cities and ports, making it more historically possible for those units to return with the Omanis.

Other pictures/possible Aceh/Molucca units:

Prajurit Keraton Jogya
    (guard of the Molucca Sultan)
    with Keris, Tombak and Pedang

and Sultan himself (on the left):

"The Rencong is a dagger as important to the Acehnese as the Keris is to the Javanese. According to some scholars, its shape is said to symbolize the Arab lettering of the invocation “Bismillaah”. One can accept this interpretation or not, however the Islamic symbolism is evident in the Rencong shape and decoration. As the Keris, it is believed to have a mystic power."

Bali Warriors:

(These guys have always remained Hindu, so not likely they would be recruiteable, very cool though)

Indefinitely Banned

Very cool picture Beuchamp. Those are some crazy weapons!

Beauchamp: You get rep for getting AD interested.

It's fine if some of these guys are a little bit or quite a bit out of our ending date, because it's likely unless they wield firearms, things wouldn't have changed too much for them not to be included. So if you had any more from the 1400-1600 era, they can certainly be used and tweaked or taken wholesale. They sound quite interesting!

Ahiga:
    Beauchamp: You get rep for getting AD interested.

It's fine if some of these guys are a little bit or quite a bit out of our ending date, because it's likely unless they wield firearms, things wouldn't have changed too much for them not to be included. So if you had any more from the 1400-1600 era, they can certainly be used and tweaked or taken wholesale. They sound quite interesting!
    Its not about the dates that concern me, its the fact that Oman didnt use a full-scale army built completely on Sumatran/Malay warriors (if they did, they would have conquered the entire middle east, europe and america, I would be speaking fluent Gulf arabic to you all right now). Given geographical distances, I want to save these troops for when the player decides to change from a Castle based army to a City based army, later on in the game.

If its cool, im going to add more ideas for troops, I think the Omani roster is really lacking in archers lately...

Mirage41:
    Very cool picture Beuchamp. Those are some crazy weapons!
    If you think those were crazy...

(A dagger from Sumatra)

(a 13 luk, or wave, Keris from Surakarta. The Keris is my favorite weapon of the world, they truly are works of art. Ill go on a little sidetrack: The keris is a very spiritual weapon for the Indonesian Archipelago and the Malay peninsula. First, one does not "buy" a keris, you must pay a "dowry" or ask to have one made. If you ask to have one made, you must speak to a special crafter of the blades, who traines his whole life to make one. He must first spend a week fasting and praying to Allah to find out what he should make. When he is ready, he makes the blade according to what the person wants, aka: the number of Luk signifies different thinkgs, the type of wood used etc. Then, he speands a year making the blade and half a year preparing the keris. When it is ready, the buyer must be "wed" to the keris through a ceremony. The blades almost never break, and are used primarially in Silat as a stabbing weapon. Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I think its really cool!)

(A Moro, or machete/sword. These types are from Mindanao, in the southern Phillipines. These were used for Headhunting, and were usually made with parts of humans defeated. That means, the hilt is made of bone, and the hair, well, you can figure it out .....)