Omani swordsmen

Light Lancer

Heavy Lancers/Spearmen

Heavy Arabian Swordsmen

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...&postcount=104

Outdated Information
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Code:
    Summary: The Nabhani Dynasty was a native Omani Dynasty that ruled Oman between 1154 and 1470 AD. 

Status in the Mod:The Nabhani are not there only to fill up Arabia but also to fill up Baluchistan, the empty territory in the south of Afghanistan (Modern Day Baluchistan, Pakistan). They give character to a region that is still somewhat threadbare, providing a force that could interact with the Abbasids, the Seljuks, the Ghaznavids, or the Rajputs, and with the addition of Sindh, would help fill up a region still lacking in factions.

Miscellaneous

We could feature for exotic purposes some mercenaries or very low recruitment pool, low refresh rate units in Oman which come from the further stretches of the Omani Trade Routes. Something from South India, Southeast Asia, the southern parts of Africa, ect. 
     Because I've taken to liking those indomitable Gauls...I mean, Sindhis, :tongue:, I'm lumping them together in this argument. Both Sindh and the Nabhani represent dynasties or kingdoms that compared to many others, lasted far longer and with far more stability. Muhammad of Ghazni's Empire fell apart rather quickly, so too did Saladin's Ayyubid, the Great Seljuks technically held their empire for 100-200 years, and the Ghorids too fell. Yet these two factions, perhaps due to their size and position, held out for around 300 years each. This is no feat to sneeze at, as many greater empires didn't last that long, and when they fell, were totally obliterated as a kingdom or political force. Even when under the sovereignty of others, at least the Soomro retained some level of independence.

Sindh and Nabhani would be like our mod's Bohemia, Scotland, Portugal, Milan/Genoa, Denmark, or Sicily. Small factions who never hit it big but in most cases held out despite bigger and meaner foes facing them, and who, it's possible, could have been led to greatness had they the right generals, the right leaders. After all, a puny little successor State to the Great Seljuks ended up being the mighty Ottomans. And also, people can enjoy playing as underdogs. We have a good share of those already, but even the Abbasids still carry a feeling of Imperialism despite their lowly status. Soomro and Nabhani offer the chance for someone not to rest their laurels on the achievements of history but to strike out and make their own. 

Now for proof behind at least Oman's inclusion:

During the Middle Ages, Oman was in regular contact with Persia, India and even southeast Asia. With maritime trade flourishing. Arab dhows built by Omani shipwrights at Sur (See page 30), were riding the monsoon winds eastward as far as Ceylon and in the eighth century an Omani trader Abu Ubaida' Abd Allah ibn al-Qasim, made the first sea voyage from Arabia to China. In the late 10th century, Omani merchants founded the trading city of Kilwa, on an island off the coast of Tanzania and by the 12th century, an amir from the Nabhani clan of Oman was permanently resident on the East African coast, trading in gold, iron, and slaves. It is probably at this time that Omani merchants first began to reside in Zanzibar. - http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issu...-a.history.htm

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...&postcount=104 Contains not really information detailing their importance but rather information on Baluchistan.

It is in general a leap of faith for us to assume the Omanis truly held Baluchistan. But in the early days of Islam, during the Umayyads, there were frequent pirate attacks on Arab shipping from Pirates of Baluchistan and Sindh. Combined with the fact that the Arabs relatively quickly conquered these regions, it's not implausible that a maritime Omani Dynasty would not establish sovereignty over Baluchistan. At the very least, it would be plausible they held a coastal city or fortress in the region.

Although the modern day Emblem, it does seem steeped in History enough to use it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Oman

Omani Swordsmen:
    Beauchamp's Images located here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...4&postcount=23 

African Units:
    Beauchamp's images and concepts once again:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...6&postcount=38

A Rough Concept on the Faction Roster: Parallels to Carthage will be brought up because they fit very well. The Nabhani have a diverse and exotic faction roster, emphasized on AOR troops and mercenaries (Bolstered by the fact that they should be inclined to mercenary traits and ancillaries that lower the price). It's a double edged sword in making them flexible, but also unreliable, in that they cannot rely on the same army for every different field. Their native (AOR troops specific to them and general to everyone) include Fierce Baluchi Tribesmen, Tribal Arabs of Arabia, and Black African Slave-warriors, with a small core of Omani troops, namely Marines and Swordsmen. Here's a rough list of what they could possess:

This is quite a bloated list. My view is that most of their units are used by, or will be used by other factions (Only the Omani Units are really exclusive), and along with them being more hindered by AOR than most other factions, it might be cool for them to have a different army makeup per region. However, that may still be too much and a solution would be to have at the lower tiers a native unit, and at the higher tiers for Baluchistan, Arabia, Sindh, and East Africa, the Omani Arab units.

Another solution is to omit the Baluchis and Tribal Africans from their list and make them AOR. To offset the loss, Omanis can recruit a few native units at Tier 4/5 of the City Barracks. For instance, in Baluchistan, Sindh, or East Africa, they could recruit Omani Swordsmen and Omani Light Marines from a Tier 4 or 5 City Barracks.

Confusing, yes? All I mean to say is that the Omani recruitment should be unique to other factions. As Alpha said, 
    I think these guys could perhaps recruit their Arab, African and Bedouin troops (the ones we already have made) in the Arab peninsula. Over the water though I would like to see their barracks to change considerably. The idea of African units running around in southern Afghanistan is a little too weird for my tastes.
    Whether we want to divvy up their recruitment into an African, Arabian, and Asian/Baluchi, or just an Arabian-African and Baluchi-Asian recruitment area is up to us. If I say new mesh, it just means we might have to edit a mesh. Like change the turban on an afghan. It may mean a major or minor edit, but it just means we don't have any pre-existing units to use. Unit Concepts Arabia: All Around unit selection. Some of the Omani's better cavalry choices.
    • Arabian Lancers - Tribal Arabs on horseback with light lance and sword. Also found in the Mercenary Pool & Zengid Roster. [Uses Tribal Arab Mesh with Spear]
    • Arabian Faris - An upper class version of the Arabian Lancers, these guys would be spear and sword wielding Professional horsemen. [Could use Faris Archer mesh with spear and sword]
    • Omani Marines - Possibly a Light and medium variation. Light wears quilted cloth, Medium wears loose and light mail. Both should probably be Hybrid units. The Light could wield a bow and a sword, the Medium a crossbow and another weapon. Both with shields. [New Mesh]
    • Bedouin Spearmen - Same Mesh, same or altered texture of Abbasid Bedouin. Also found in the Abbasid Roster. [Current Bedouin Mesh]
    • Omani Ahdath Militia - Representing the native Arabs who settle in on the territories or coastal ports which Oman trades in or dominates politically. They'd possibly be well armed and armored compared to other City Militia, yet have the same sort of moral and discipline. Very similar to Merchant-militia cavalry in Vanilla. In fact, for the Omanis these could be limited to having that merchant guild hall. Or a certain tier of Trade building. [Uncertain mesh. Could use pre-existing]
    • Omani Swordsmen - That unit idea which someone here came up with. High attack, low armor but good shield and defense. They should fight in a dispersed formation, and do well when they can get their enemies to fight them 1v1 and not formation vs formation. Kinda like the Celtic swordsmen of RTW. [New Mesh]
    Africa: Possibly a split between cheap and inefficent tribal levies, and their most disciplined and high moraled professional slave-warriors.
    • Perhaps a mesh can be made for 'Tribal African' units, which could be then used in the future with an Ethiopian/Sudan faction. It'd be a single mesh and might offer 2-3 variations. One with Spear, one with Bow, one with some sort of melee weapon? Would also be found as mercenaries in Egypt and West Arabia. They'd be lower tier tribal rabble. These wouldn't be too necessary though, especially since if they were made into AOR they'd have only a few provinces to be useful in. [New meshes, though this is not totally necessary. We'd reuse the meshes for when we include a Sundanese Kingdom]
    • Nubian Spearmen Nubian Archers [Both Nubians would be Slave-warriors] Also found in Abbasid and possibly Ayyubid Roster. [Nubian Unit mesh]
    • Some sort of Camel riding Bedouin, possibly. [Re-texturing of a current Bedouin Mesh/texture.]
    Baluchistan: Much like the Afghans, the Baluchis offer Oman fierce, aggressive tribesmen. It might be that Baluchis are less aggressive, and more hearty, possibly also faster and sneakier than the Afghans.
    • Nothing really fancy here. They probably would not be as ******* aggressive in arms or stats as the Afghans. You'd see some spearmen, more of a 'hearty harasser light infantry' than a 'throw them at the enemy' light infantry. Camel-riding bedouin would probably return, and I'd need to see if Baluchis were particular to any fighting style. They had Iranians, Turks, and Arabs in their population, which means bows, lances, and I suppose maces may have found use. [A mixture of Bedouin Meshes and Afghan meshes with some edits, I think]
    • It is possible that in Baluchistan, either as mercenaries or as AOR (Exclusive to Oman or Not) there would be some Iranian, or some Turkish, units. If we include Sindh as I hope we do in the future, I would think the Omanis having some Horse archers and the Sindhi having some elephants would be a good contrast between the two. Both aren't as cavalry heavy as their neighbors, but both augment their light/medium melee cavalry with either HA or Elephants. [Turkish/Iranian Units]
    Last edited by Ahiga; October 03, 2007 at 05:56 AM.

Beauchamp's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: DISCUSSION: The Nabhani Dynasty (Oman)

As most of you probably know, im all for this faction. I am willing to devote many long hours of more research to make sure this factions kicks a$$.

Long Live Oman!

(Actually, flag of Zanzibar under Omani's when capital was at Stonetown)

Sinan's Avatar Senator

Icon14 JEAY SINDH !

JEAY SINDH !!!

SINDHU DESH MEHAZ !!!

English lit: Long Live Sindh ! The Movement of the Sindhi Nation !
    Last edited by Sinan; May 22, 2007 at 10:36 PM.
    Add me on Steam if you are playing SHOGUN 2 multiplayer!

The Mongol's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: DISCUSSION: The Nabhani Dynasty/Emirate of Oman

I think this faction alone would spice up BC a lot.

The thought of it being a naval based faction completely sets it apart, imagine doing naval landings on India. Not to mention the colourful unit roster. I totally approve of this, not that my approval matters

Oh and, that Omani Marine looks wicked.

@Sinan: Pakistan Zindabad?

Sinan's Avatar Senator

Beauchamp check my first post, added a line.

I was thinking of Sindh with regards to BC for a while now. The Rajputs could certainly use some smaller neighbours. I mentioned this already in another thread when I first saw the BC campaign map. I'm all for the inclusion of Sindh & Oman. This will add even more depth to BC.
    Add me on Steam if you are playing SHOGUN 2 multiplayer!

Sweet!
    Ive found more photos of the Omani Swordsmen/warriors and I even found an actuall Razha "sword dance":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMaZ_GW8QLw

I think that the the "Omani Swordsmen" should be included as an elite unit within the faction and come at an expensive price for mercanary purchase. They are truly a unique unit. They could be considered as light infantry but with heavy attack and defense bonuses. The Razha itself, as I mentioned before, was a contest between the different Tribes in terms of Poetry and swordsmanship, therefore, to create the best individual warriors was essential. I like the ideas above, the marines etc. Those would be the "bread and butter" of the faction whilst out on campaign, and once the Nahabani's aquire more land, they will have more access to other more unique units. If you guys are really intent on creating an exotic unit base, the Omani's traded as far as China and Sumatra, so perhaps they
    could bring back with them some crazy mercs!

I think that you should include Sind as well, they could use a broad unit base from the many different tribes, etc. in northern India to prove as a buffer in the region.

I am really glad to be helping (even it is not very much) a great mod such as this. Look forward to more research!
    Shukran!

Oman was always a part of iran and under the rules of its kingsd so you should just forget about this faction and make it a part of whatever faction that rules iran

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by maximusarian View Post
    Oman was always a part of iran and under the rules of its kingsd so you should just forget about this faction and make it a part of whatever faction that rules iran
    Really? You sound very sure. Could you please post some sources or links which clearly state that around the year 1170-1175 Oman was under the rule of Iran? Thanks!

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Icon7 Re: DISCUSSION: The Nabhani Dynasty/Emirate of Oman

Quote Originally Posted by mirage41 View Post
    Really? You sound very sure. Could you please post some sources or links which clearly state that around the year 1170-1175 Oman was under the rule of Iran? Thanks!
    Not sure about the BC period but yes Iran ruled much of Oman during the Pahlava and Sassanid eras. However, after the Arab conquests I'm not so sure that applies.(Though I think there was a short time in which the Safavids controlled Oman as a vassal state. But thats quite a ways after our time period.)
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the celt View Post
    Not sure about the BC period but yes Iran ruled much of Oman during the Pahlava and Sassanid eras. However, after the Arab conquests I'm not so sure that applies.(Though I think there was a short time in which the Safavids controlled Oman as a vassal state. But thats quite a ways after our time period.)
    True for the pre-Islamic era. But after the Arab conquest Iran was ruled by various Turkish Dynasties and the centre of power for this area moved north towards Khwarezmia, Persia proper hardly had any military or political independence until the Safavid era and rise of gunpower. As Ahiga's meticulous research tell us, its clear that the Omanis were ruled by a native sea-faring trade-based dynasty and were never under Iranian control until maybe the Safavids (which is after 1500AD).

Thanks for the info The Celt! Besides, IMHO, even if the Emirate of Oman was under Iranian/Persian/Abbasid control, we could have them be pretty much autonomous, and thus a separate faction. One thing I have learned in researching the history for this Mod is that many rulers, from city governors to Caliphs wanted to make a name for themselves and were not above doing whatever it took to do so.

Besides, this Mod is not a purely historical Mod. It's a GAME mod, designed for fun. So if something is slightly off historically, then so be it. Better to err on the side of fun and playability than on history and make a boring Mod.
    Former Historian & Dev Member for Broken Crescent Mod
    Dual-Major BA in Medieval History / Political Science, Adelphi University Aug. 1989
    Member of the World History Association
    Member of the Medieval Academy of America
    Member of the Richard III Society
    Member of the Society for the Study of the Crusades and Latin East
    If you like my post, please +Rep...if you dislike my post, please +REP me twice

Quote Originally Posted by CelticPagan View Post
    Thanks for the info The Celt! Besides, IMHO, even if the Emirate of Oman was under Iranian/Persian/Abbasid control, we could have them be pretty much autonomous, and thus a separate faction. One thing I have learned in researching the history for this Mod is that many rulers, from city governors to Caliphs wanted to make a name for themselves and were not above doing whatever it took to do so.

Besides, this Mod is not a purely historical Mod. It's a GAME mod, designed for fun. So if something is slightly off historically, then so be it. Better to err on the side of fun and playability than on history and make a boring Mod.
    Yeah when you really look at it the fall of the Sassanids really turned the ME into a constantly shifting power-vacuum. The Abbasid Caliph never really seemed to care much about the far flung lands of his "empire" and left those areas up to the local warlords to fight over. Even when the Seljuqs took over they weren't exactly any better in administrating the lands they conquered then the Caliph. Hell, the Caliphates might as well as called themselves the "Holy Persian Empire" since they served the same function as the Germans in Europe.

Which is why Oman is able to go split off like the rest of the ME. Hence why we've got the Broken Crescent.

God dammit I went off topic again sorry guys! I'll try and redeem this post. Anyways, so with whats stated above by me and CelticPagan its obvious Oman is not ruled by Iran/Persia/Bali Bali Land. So there going to be Sunni right? And will they have any camel units or is that a Bedouin only thing?

I think that Oman was under Seljuk suzeranity during the 1000's, but eventually freed themselves and established the Nahabadi Imamate. Oman has always been of the Ibadi sect of Islam, which as I have mentioned beforehand, that preached a sort of "neutral conservatism". They basically did not meddle in the affairs of the rest of the arab world and concentrated on expanding their trade empire and making sure that the Yemeni Imamate and the various Persian dynasties would not harm them. Their government was focused upon the election of a rightful leader who would lead them the best they can, this was decided by the Ulama who in turn took suggestions from the people. It is neither a Sunni or Shi'a sect, rather it is its own branch.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibadi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Oman

Also, I do not know if it is a province already, but Awal (Bahrain) should be included as a possible conquest for the Nahabadi Imamate and a post for invasions to the coast, with its capitol the city of Manama.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Bahrain

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the celt View Post
    Yeah when you really look at it the fall of the Sassanids really turned the ME into a constantly shifting power-vacuum. The Abbasid Caliph never really seemed to care much about the far flung lands of his "empire" and left those areas up to the local warlords to fight over. Even when the Seljuqs took over they weren't exactly any better in administrating the lands they conquered then the Caliph. Hell, the Caliphates might as well as called themselves the "Holy Persian Empire" since they served the same function as the Germans in Europe.

Which is why Oman is able to go split off like the rest of the ME. Hence why we've got the Broken Crescent.

God dammit I went off topic again sorry guys! I'll try and redeem this post. Anyways, so with whats stated above by me and CelticPagan its obvious Oman is not ruled by Iran/Persia/Bali Bali Land. So there going to be Sunni right? And will they have any camel units or is that a Bedouin only thing?
    LOL. First time I saw the HRE vs Abbasid comparison. And its very true indeed. Yeah, tha fall of the Sassanids and coming of the Turks really turned Persia into a frontier zone and the various warring states makes for a great game!

Icon11 Re: DISCUSSION: The Nabhani Dynasty/Emirate of Oman

Quote Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post
    I think that Oman was under Seljuk suzeranity during the 1000's, but eventually freed themselves and established the Nahabadi Imamate. Oman has always been of the Ibadi sect of Islam, which as I have mentioned beforehand, that preached a sort of "neutral conservatism". They basically did not meddle in the affairs of the rest of the arab world and concentrated on expanding their trade empire and making sure that the Yemeni Imamate and the various Persian dynasties would not harm them. Their government was focused upon the election of a rightful leader who would lead them the best they can, this was decided by the Ulama who in turn took suggestions from the people. It is neither a Sunni or Shi'a sect, rather it is its own branch.
    So their kinda like Venice, in that they are not a monarchy and are more interested in mercantile rather than military expansion.

Well, in an orientalist view I guess...

Maybe we could focus the Oman emirate on the ocean and perhaps give them unique ships making them quite effective at piracy and sea voyages early on?

nnnm's Avatar Senator

I know that Omanise used flags with red color only until 20th c

nnnm's Avatar Senator

Hi all,
    I suggest to start with castles in Oman since there are more than 500 castles there. and about Masqut, i recommend to be Sohar (becuase masqut was small village at that time and it was not important until 15th c). Naz'wa was oman capital at that time-no quite sure . in evry city in the basic building are mosque , Suqe (mean Market) and Castle (some times tow castles) . there also a unique building for oman faction call Falag (Irrigation Systems).
    http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1207

about Nabhani destiny they call the sultan Imam. also they call the city [B]Wilayah [B] and the governor (Waly)

suggested map
    http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/2...onswl52ei4.jpg

info and pics about some castle
    Bahla Fort
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahla_Fort
    Naz'wa Fort
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nizwa
    http://www.geocities.com/alshukili/nizwa_fort.GIF
    Nakhal Fort
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakhal_Fort
    Rustaq Fort
    http://www.omanet.om/arabic/tourism/images/F13.jpg
    Last edited by nnnm; May 24, 2007 at 01:23 AM.

Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast