Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: June edition of PCGamer (UK)

legate's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: June edition of PCGamer (UK)

The screenshots look like alpha to me.

There is no front rank kneeling, it appears - at the moment - only the first line can fire. The line infantry appear to be in large blocks not a thin red line, hollow square or marching column. It has the appearance that the firing line alternates similar to the arquebusiers in M2TW.

Soldiers uniforms are all differnt instead of the historical standard issue. Some wear white gaitors other black knee high boots.

No officers or standards atm.

There is no front rank kneeling, it appears - at the moment - only the first line can fire.
    Wel that unit does not fire by rank, we do have units who have front line kneel so second line can fire etc.

The line infantry appear to be in large blocks not a thin red line, hollow square or marching column.
    Just they way they're deployed. Square is ingame, and line and column are just a matter of unit depth and width.

It has the appearance that the firing line alternates similar to the arquebusiers in M2TW.
    They do not alternate.

No officers or standards atm.
    Officers are ingame, though after those screenshots were taken I believe.

legate's Avatar Campidoctor

Ah thanks Jack!

So troop deployment will be similar to previous games, drag and drop?

KozCDVI's Avatar Domesticus

Arsen, I am afraid that English weather is VERY hard to predict... Rain one minute, sun the next, wake up the next morning to a snowy heaven. (Actually we don't get much snow usually comes after rain (ground too soggy)

Anyway.. The magasine looks a little bad. But the cover and the article look grand. As soon as the pics are on Internet, be sure to let us know, anyone

“My mother taught me never to throw stones at cripples. My father taught me to aim for their heads.”
    - Ramsay Snow

Just got back from the shops, and had a look through my copy.

Very Impressive; Blocks of men do look a bit odd, but Jack's explained that, and the other things that concerned me initially.
    Seems to be an army of red coats fighting an army in blue (and some in green; American riflemen? or Jagers?). If I had to guess I'd say it looks like an American revolution battle. The horsemen in golden helmets look like the 2nd continental dragoons;

There are also what are either British Light infantry or dismounted dragoons.
    Its hard to tell what's on the helmets; one on the left seems to have the skull and crossbones of the dragoons, while others seem to have a fleur de lys (! a bit odd for British soldiers). Some have red waistcoats suggesting light infantry (but red trousers too). These are the unit mentioned with the pennant under the union flag. [EDIT- they are probably lights, they have shoulder "wings"]

Of course I am probably trying to read more specifics out of the screenshots than are actually involved in the game (ie the horsemen are probably only representative of American dragoons, rather than the 2nd Continental specifically). But all in all it looks like its shaping up to be a great game, probably the best one yet.
    Last edited by clibinarium; May 09, 2008 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by clibinarium View Post
    But all in all it looks like its shaping up to be a great game, probably the best one yet.

Probably... Not liking the sound of that.

Can't wait to see the snaps for myself.

“My mother taught me never to throw stones at cripples. My father taught me to aim for their heads.”
    - Ramsay Snow

Sounds brilliant!

**RS Dev Team***Reciprocal Repper!* RIP Calvin- you will be missed

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

It sounds like setting the unit formation will be the familiar drag and drop method. I was hoping that there were pre-defined formation buttons; such as Line, March Column, Assault Column, and Skirmish. I assume that there will be a Loose Formation button to relect Skirmish formation since this is already in the earlier engines. I also assume that the new Square Formation will have to be a new button. I wish CA had just went ahead and added a Line and two different Colums buttons. It would save on the manipulation and micro-management of setting all of the units to the correct formation and depth.

In some of the shots it looks like only the front line of the blocks can fire, I certainly hope this is the case.

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

I hope that the second rank can fire as well. This was standard for the period. I'm perfectly fine if the third rank can't fire. I actually hope it can't, as this quickly went out of fashion during the period.

Krupp's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    Wel that unit does not fire by rank, we do have units who have front line kneel so second line can fire etc.

Just they way they're deployed. Square is ingame, and line and column are just a matter of unit depth and width.

They do not alternate.

Officers are ingame, though after those screenshots were taken I believe.

So even if we drag&drop the unit into a thin line of 2 ranks the second one wont fire,but why?And no standards?
    "Over the hills and far away..."

So even if we drag&drop the unit into a thin line of 2 ranks the second one wont fire,but why?
    The answer to that question would include info we haven't revealed yet, wait and see.

And I do not know off hand on the matter of standard bearers.

Krupp's Avatar Senator

The answer to that question would include info we haven't revealed yet, wait and see.

Thanks,i shall be looking forward to it,looks really good so far

Blau&Gruen's Avatar Civitate

I suppose you cannot answer any question about an assumable unitsize cap or its modablity.
    Patronized by Ozymandias
    Je bâtis ma demeure
    Le livre des questions
    Un étranger avec sous le bras un livre de petit format

golemzombiroboticvacuumcleanerstrawberrycream

Hey wait what? This isn't true of all units is it? I mean surely all ranks should be able to fire in these thin formations, that's the whole point of 2 ranks.. I mean 3 ranks was pretty much the standard for most armies...

Krupp's Avatar Senator

did some units during this timeframe(early) just not fire in multiple ranks,is this why you said that,or is it early in the game so tactics havent been updated?
    Last edited by Krupp; May 09, 2008 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupp View Post
    So even if we drag&drop the unit into a thin line of 2 ranks the second one wont fire,but why?And no standards?
    My guess is it may be a difference between a non-upgraded unit and one that has been upgraded with researched tactics.

Krupp's Avatar Senator

oh!Very good thinking.

I am looking forward to more news about the game, maybe a campaign map next time *fingers crossed!*

C.A won't let us down!! I'm sure they won't!!

- Ramsay Snow

There was talk in that article about researching technologies and drills to keep as much lead in the air as possible. I sincerely hope that's the case... I can't imagine them doing any strange like letting only the first rank fire..
    Last edited by Dain; May 10, 2008 at 08:13 AM.