Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Gundug's Otherworld Mod

Default Re: Gundug's Otherworld Mod

Alternative combat ai for Otherworld v5.
    Real combat release candidate v1.2 + grandViz Ultimate battle ai v1.1
    Pls note that this addon is to be used only with Vanilla Otherworld v5.
    If already using the Addon with Darth+Naimad tweeks then need to remove all files added by it and replace the Battlemodels.models file with the original Otherworld v5 1.
    Ps, As PointBlank released a new version of real combat, today I'm on the process of adapting it to Otherworld v5, asap will upload the new 1.
    Last edited by Gen_Lee; July 18, 2007 at 01:56 PM.

Awesome mod Gundug...heh I finally registered on the forums to tell you...its just that good. The car names kinda took away from the fantasy aspect for me, though, so I changed the settlement names that I recognized as automotive, but other than that....great mod.

I have updated the first page for your new modification Gen_Lee, great work once again!

Ferior, welcome to the TWC and thank you for the nice comments! I'm glad you are having a good time with with the mod. I'm also happy you customized the mod to your liking, since I intended it as something the community can play around and have fun with - some small payback for the value I have gotten from this site. If you come up with modifications you would like to share, please feel free to post them here, and I will include a link on the opening page.
    Check out my Otherworld mod: A big fantasy map for Medieval 2, new playable factions and more! -Release 7 is now available-

Your mod is really pretty good, but im upset with the limited number of individuals in any formosan unit. My complaint rests on the fact that a unit of formosan javalinmen, with their boosted stats, cant actually compete with a single unit of sudanese tribesmen since there isnt actually enough of the formosans to kill the sudanese faster than the sudanese can kill them back.

Haerzog, I will take a look at that particular matchup and see what changes might need to be made. The javelinmen typically perform very well against other infantry units. I am planning to include a heavier javelin unit in a later release. As to the rest of their units, I find that a decent Formosan army can typically achieve five or ten to one kill ratios in battle against larger, well equipped armies during the campaign and in custom battles.
    Check out my Otherworld mod: A big fantasy map for Medieval 2, new playable factions and more! -Release 7 is now available-

Alternative combat ai for Otherworld v5.
    Real combat release candidate v1.2 as per 18jul07 + grandViz Ultimate battle ai v1.1
    Pls note that this addon is to be used only with Vanilla Otherworld v5.
    If already using the Addon with Darth+Naimad tweeks then need to remove all files added by it and replace the Battlemodels.models file with the original Otherworld v5 1.
    Take note that I used the Realistic combat nr of solders per unit as opposed as original Otherworld for the factions Formosans and Aztecs.

I have updated the link on the first page to show your new Alternative combat ai addon, Gen_Lee.

Haerzog, thanks for pointing out the imbalance between the units. I took a look at the match between Sudanese tribesmen and Formosan Javelinmen and saw that the Formosans did lose consistantly, although they were able to inflict between 30% to 50% more casualties. I increased the size of the unit to 20 (50 on huge unit settings, which I run the game under) and changed their formation slightly. They now defeat the tribesmen in a close victory. I also added a new elite unit of javelinmen that do even better.

The next release should be around the weekend of 07.28 to 07.29 and will include new units, textures and various fixes.

Cool. Do you suppose you could add a Kensai unit too? I loved those when they were made for Shogun

I will see about how that type of unit might be implemented. Medieval II doesn't allow unit sizes below 4, so I could not make something quite the same as in Shogun. I'm also no good at modeling, so any kind of Japanese looking warrior is beyond my capability. I could see if any of the Mongol or Timurid models can be adapted.

, Ill be out for a few weeks, so when back will try to update the Ai addons accordingly.
    But till then an updated Edu to reflect the latest real combat v1.2 final.
    As real combat v1.2 final also adds Polearms it's advised do install it 1st, then over it My previous Addon and finnally replace the Edu by this 1.
    And pls, dont mix it with the Otherworld+Darth+Naimad addon.
    Last edited by Gen_Lee; July 19, 2007 at 01:33 PM.

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

hey, what i porpose would only be for the purpose of the storylines i have been making so listen up:

formosa, russia, and byzantium should all have the following units avaliable to EVERY one of them:

lakinton(both mounted and dismounted)

Boyar's Sons (both mounted and dismounted)

byzantine infantry

Paul_d, I will add the units as-is between the Russians and Byzantium and see if I can make good new textures appropriate for each. The Formosan versions will only be similar in name and general appearance, as I have my own goals for that faction's roster.

alrighty then, thanks

I don't care if the formosan is not the same, i realize this is, after alll, YOUR mod, but thanks again.

Hello Paul d, I will have the new units ready for the upcoming release. Since Ramtha will no longer be involved with the TWC, and we will have no further updates of his minimod, would you like to make up your own original names for the factions? (I don't want to steal his work when he can't even have any say in how it's used) I can implement them and your stories by this weekend in the main mod. I will also change the splash screen to better reflect the work you have done.
    Last edited by Gundug; July 25, 2007 at 03:07 PM.

the work I have done? I have barely done anything... but okay... I made a great fantasy campaign back in the days of EMPIRE EARTH, the prolem is that the names all derive from some real nation or another...

such as:

Vologna (Bologna, city in Italy)

Moravia (a real kingdom, a kingdom of slavs in the dark ages in eastern europe)

Argonia (Aragon in Spain)

Fraw (I have yet to find what i took this from)

SEE!!!???
    (how do you come up with an original name that makes sense-whilst not being kooky or plagerism-ish?)

Ramtha would probably not mind us using his names for your mod, i mean he did not say anything about whether or not he cared if we used it.. as long as we dont bend it to suit our tastes. just keep it along the lines of what it was.

read the post on the earlier page... wierd... I only got banned from a forum for being a jerk... And im not addicted tot he internet; im addicted to the COMPUTER

my reaction(in quote) (imagine the cartman from southpark's voice

"ohh, balls."
    Last edited by Paul d; July 26, 2007 at 09:40 PM.

I'll stick with Ramtha's names then and give him proper credit in the splash screen. I have added the Russian <> Byzantine units you mentioned to each others rosters. After recoloring the textures they should be ok. I wanted to figure out how to make a ranged fighting Latinkon, but it looks like that won't be happening. I guess maybe I will just add them to the roster with a texture change.

cool thanks. I lost the notebook I kept the storylines in... there were 4 of em... at least 8 pages... and I lost it... or did I... will have to look for it today...

FOUND IT 2 minutes after posting...

writing another one too
    Last edited by Paul d; July 27, 2007 at 05:21 PM.

here it is: the namekian empire storyline: 800 years of the fantasy world's (alot was skimmmed over) history:

The Namekian Empire: Rise&Fall
    The Namekian Empire was originally called the Kerratians, and was started 950 years ago, on the northern Central island, by their first emperor, Belisarius(this was a really famous Byzantine emperor's name)
    Their Empire soon looked to the south, to the Central continent,and colonists were sent to prosper on its fertile soil. It was a sparsely populated land at the time, so things looked safe for the colonists.
    Belisarius seized its entire northern coast, and before he died in 757 E.N., a shocking discovery was reached. The Central continent was home to more than 500,000 people, whilte the Empire only had a population of 160,000 (record of earliest census of the empire)
    So In 756 E.N., Belisarius' son, A great expeditionary force was sent to the eastern reaches of the continent, and the southeastern reaches as well. The SouthWest had been too arid to send thousands of soldiers across, so it was left alone (hence, the Irvanian Dynasty)
    Fierce fighting awaited the Expeditionary army, but the empire, with its revolutionary scaled armour(which Iroically, is still used today and is seen as "backwards", the Namekians have done little, if anything at all to further it.)
    which defelcted blows from spears, swords, and did wonders protecting the wearer from missiles. Another major factor in the wars were mistrust and failure to unite, between indigenous tribes.
    Assimilating these foreigners would, however, take a disasterous toll on the empire in the unforseeable future. In 728 E.N., Belisarius' son died(of unrecorded causes).
    But, again, the royal heir would accheive great things once again, and a Naval Expedition in 693 E.N. discovered the strange land of Formosa. The King had great interest in Formosa, who joined his kingdom without a fight, and he was recorded to be there more than he was at his Imperial palace!
    The province of Formosa was officially joined intot he empire in 691 E.N. The King died in a sea storm in 684 E.N. But a great problem approached; he lacked an heir.
    Civil war lasted more than 4 years, but the empire was again stabilized by the greatest Emperor in its history; Namekios il Magnifico , or Namekios the Magnificent, from which the empires name derives. He had crushed the other would-be sucessors, and he quelled many tribes of the central continent. He ruled a long time, 55 years(The Kings of Namekia are known to live long, and many have lasted to their hundreds!)
    Under his rule, the empire expanded an enormous amount; its size nearly doubled. His son , grandson, and great-grandson ruled comfortably wealthy for the next 142 years. Peace had lasted a hundren years, but more was was soon to follow. The empire had begun to gingerly expand further into the western continent; something not taken lightl by the Culvethian hordes. They attacked the fortresses and settlements of the Empire, and war was declared in 486 E.N.
    The Namekian Empire, in response, launched a great army across the sea into the heart of Culvethia, Crushed the hordes, and stagnated their armies long enough to ensure that they would never be a seroius threat again.
    The empire ruled peacefully for anotehr 238 years; they were to p[owerful to be challenged, and they made little moves to expand anymore. The empire was so large that its rulers viewed expansion as fruitless, and a waste of resources.
    In 151 E.N.a rebellion known as the Ritterick peoples sprung up around the entire empire, mainly in edge regions, and central continental regions. Most of these "Rebellions" were laughable; a rebellious duke or count with only a handful of soldiers. Many of them melted away rather quickly, due to a lack of central leadership. After 150 years, the empire finally gave way.
    In 16 E.N. the overlord announced his overlordship, and may of the rebels rallied to his cause, however unoficially, which may be the empires new hope today. All that remains of the empire now, it the land from whence they originated from. But there is still hope. The empire could send aid to the formosans, or perhaps play the rittericks against eachother, and wait for the perfect chance to strike. Perhaps it is time for a second Namekian Empire; one which could perhaps amount to the first empire... or even greater!

Next to go:

The Blue Banner (France)
    The Vilikons (Hungary and Poland)
    Spain portugal milan venice turks egypt sicily england scots...wow

hey, the scots map when you click on them in campaign, is very nice looking, but can you rename the byzantine island to:
    Kerratia]

hehe the central continent you named terra mater... the motherland?
    Last edited by Paul d; July 27, 2007 at 10:12 PM.

sorry for triple post, but i have some pics that might make good splash screens

formosans surrounded by (Culvethians) Timurids A.D. 15

I really like this one with the Elephant. A.D. 15

2 more coming rather soon.

Fighting Natives in the Central continent. E.N.~750

Fighting Natives in the woodlands E.N.~ 640
    Last edited by Paul d; July 27, 2007 at 10:52 PM.

Release 0.06 of Otherworld is available at here at TWCenter and my FileFront page. There appeared to be problems with the TWC server yesterday (07.29) so it could not be uploaded to this site. We also seem to have lost a page on this thread from yesterday as well, I think.

Paul d, I added some rudimentary storylines to the latest version, but there is still a lot to do. That starting map for Scotland was something I was messing around with for a previous release and forgot to get rid of. We can use the names you prefer for locations.

I love the screenshots - they look great! I think it would be cool to submit one to the picture of the week forum. The standing drivers on the elephants drove me crazy, so I changed them to the rifle animation, but now they look wrong when attacking and make the rifle sound. I'm not sure which version I dislike the most.

If anyone wants to submit screenshots to use as loading screens, I will be happy to upload a template of the top and bottom borders I use so you can add them if you want (or I can do it for you, if you prefer). Feel free to upload an archive and I will put a link to it on the opening page.

The handheld rocket launcher is a cool idea, and I think I can implement it in a good way (except for the chance of setting the user on fire - not sure how that could be done). I'm also thinking of making some primitive gunpowder type units available before the gunpowder event, including some like the above, and keeping the event for guns and cannon.