Philosophers

1. Armatus
    Armatus
    I'm having a bit of deja vu.... did I ask that question already earlier on? Oh well I just wanted to get a better feel for your personal logic or lack there of.

My personal philosophy is to try to live by the golden rule - sometimes I have to remind myself though. But basically it is a reoccurring theme throughout our history; with it's foundations set deep within our most primal existence.

It always seems to carry value no matter where it is practiced. I often wonder if it came before Karma or if in fact this is the most basic rule of Karma. Essentially what goes around comes around. The chain of events that are unleashed or indirectly guided by your actions. More simply the cause and effect found within all of nature. Except that this rule of reciprocation is executed this time by those who can see it for what it is and harness it's power in attempt to define a law of well-being
  2. Ulyaoth
    Ulyaoth
    Well, I don't have any 'official' philosophy I live my life by. To be honest I'm not too well read up on any in reality, I've made it my new years resolution to do some reading on various Philosophies, most interesting to me and the one I know the most of to date is stoicism. In how I carry myself in life, I just generally try to behave with manners and courtesy and expect people to behave similarly. I just can't respect people who don't have simple manners.

About the losing thoughts, isn't it funny though how your mind seems so much clearer at work, and not while at leisure and relaxing? I don't know what you do for work, I do construction work, so other than the tools pretty much no electrical distractions usually, so maybe that's it, the mind much clearer to think on its own from not being flooded with media.
  3. Armatus
    Armatus
    Do you have a list of philosophers?
  4. Armatus
    Armatus
    Better yet philosophies?

I've got stoicism, sophism for one if anyone is interested.
  5. Ulyaoth
    Ulyaoth
    As I said, not to knowledgeable in any really. Ones I know have interested me, are mainly the ancient greek ones, Cynicism, Stoicism, and Epicurean are the ones I know the most about, though only really cursory knowledge taught in high school religion classes, as taught as philosophies and religions that were vying with Christianity or became incorporated in some sense into Christianity.

Things I wanna read first, are that book by Marcus Aurelius, maybe some Nietzsche, I dunno what else, whatever else I can find on stoicism I guess.
  6. Armatus
    Armatus
    "There is a steam of things entering into being, and time is a raging torrent; for no sooner does each thing enter our sight than it has been swept away, and another is passing in it's place, and that too will be swept away..."

One of my favorite quotes (hope I didn't already post that lol) can you guess who from?
  7. Armatus
    Armatus
    Here's an old article I was going to check out when I had more time figured I'd share it

HUME: commit it then to the flames
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62349
  8. Ulyaoth
    Ulyaoth
    that quote is bugging me, I can vaguely remember it from somewhere, just don't know where.
  9. Armatus
    Armatus
    Marcus Aurelius
  10. Ulyaoth
    Ulyaoth
    Just found another great quote from him.
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones...Marcus Aurelius
    Also, about that thread, still meaning to read it, just been rather busy the past while.