Ancient History and World Mythology

1. Hand of Nergal
    Hand of Nergal
    (there is a great rumbling noise from the sky as Zeus hails the comrades below...the sky opens, and as a bolt of lightning comes forth it brings with it a man who was once thought lost)
    hi guys! I'm back...I was punished by the mighty mods because of some naughty things I said to some unnamed individuals in the forum.
    Part of my punishment was not being able to message anyone or partake of the groups...hmm, welcome new faces! I am so pleased to see the new people, the great input, and cool pics!
    (hugs)
    Now...for the matter of the 7 wonders of the ancient (classical, by that I mean implicitly western) world, I have an album in my account for the seven wonders alone with some of my favorite pics of how they are believed to have looked. I can hardly pick a favorite, they are all so awesome. As for the destroying hands of modern men, how the wicked witch of time erases our past, alas there is no stopping that, but that is why they are so precious. Here's an off-topic topic, something I've thought of before...
    If we were to plug the mediterranean sea at the straits of gilbraltar and drain the mighty yet shallow sea, what would we see at the bottom, hmmm? (Hand of Nergal rubs his mighty chin) Besides some rotted spanish galleons with bowels full of new world gold, would there not be some awesome ancient treasures at the bottom of the sea which the ancient egyptians called their green sea, the Romans called their Mare Nostrum, and most other people called simply the middle sea? Incidentally every ancient fool in the mediterranean used this sea and quite a few probably lost a few ships at the murky bottom due to the wrath of ill-tempered Poseidon. Your thoughts...
  2. Darth Ravenous
    Darth Ravenous
    I have original pictures I took from artworks of the original 7 Wonders of the Ancient World. Zeus, Babaylon and the Light House of Alexandria are my favorites.
  3. Armatus
    Armatus
    Here's a question. How many times has history been repeated?
  4. Darth Ravenous
    Darth Ravenous
    Countless
  5. Armatus
    Armatus
    Well glad we solved that one!

Next question?
  6. IndianPrince
    IndianPrince
    Ok here's one !

Why do you think all Indo-European origin religions have the rain-god/the one with thunder (Zeus, Thor, Indra, etc) as their head god? I mean thunder is intimidating & all to an archaic living in ancient times, but a lil descriptive explanation with sources would be interesting
  7. Ulyaoth
    Ulyaoth
    Well, to the Norse, the main god changed from time and location. In Roman times and earlier I believe Tyr the god of war, later it became Thor, Tyr's brother, or later Odin, who was similar to Mercury I think. After Roman times I'm pretty sure it was between Thor and Odin who was the chief god, I'd always been under the thought Thor was the main god but have recently learned it was Odin in many cases.

Onto your question, too lazy to find sources but I'm pretty sure it's simply because they were all the same god, just different names/stories, as the Indo-European religion was the same thing until it got dispersed throughout the world and changed to its locations. As for why he's the head god, it was because he was seen as the hard worker, tough and strong, and banged lots of womens/nymphs/cows.
  8. Babur
    Babur
    I joined since I am a fan of Hindu mythology

Who here has read the Mahabharata and Ramayana?
  9. Arjun
    Arjun
    I joined this cos im a fan of world mythology and ancient history.
  10. Caml3
    Caml3
    The preference of Odin, Thor, and in some cases Frey, also varied between tribes and regions. Thor was pretty much the all-inclusive Viking god, he watched over war, navigation, food, and justice, and was also favored heavily by Icelanders (Who were really just displaced Norse). Odin did much the same thing in parts of Sweden.