View RSS Feed

Tall an' handsome

Flight of fancy

Rating: 5 votes, 2.40 average.

One day the splendid fruit of my loins decided to bereave me of my inalienable right to spoil my grandchildren and moved his family far away ‘for business purposes’. I give you an idea how far away: there they eat raw fish with sticks. I mean, what’s wrong with fish & chips? Really?

But I digress. To deflect my righteous anger (magnificent off spring or not) I get appeased with an offering of tickets for bi-annual travels to brighten my grandchildren’s life. On one of these flights (appallingly trans pacific liners were discontinued some decades ago) I was seated next to a young lawyer who was quite a lively chap – he kept on asking me to play some fun games. I was a bit tired and would have preferred to have a nap but the young man (no match to my brilliant son) kept on insisting and so I eventually agreed in the hope of being left alone after the game.

The lawyer then proceeded to explain the rules of the game: "I ask you a question, and if you don't know the answer, you pay me $5.00. Then you ask me one, and if I don't know the answer, I will pay you $50.00," he says.
That was obviously not the reason why I agreed but it didn’t hurt either.
The young man then asked his first question: "What is the distance from the Earth to the Moon?" After sitting and looking at him for a while I grudgingly gave him his 5 dollars.
My turn: "What goes up a hill with three legs, and comes down with four?" After a while of watching him tapping away on his computer thingy and getting all excited every time the little voice in it told him ‘you got mail’ I must have dozed off because I got rudely ripped away from giving those delights of my life their long awaited presents by an insistent tapping on my arm. Recognizing that it was the lawyer dropped his stature at least three levels, well below the mother in law of my beloved son, but my mood was slightly mollified when he handed me a 50 dollar note. He then proceeded to ask: "Well, so what goes up a hill with three legs and comes down with four?"
I dug a 5 dollar note out of my purse which I gave to him, then I turned around to catch up on where the younger of the two apples of my eyes pulls on the bow I had so lovingly wrapped around her present.
Categories
Life on TWC

Comments

I think I've heard something similar to that before... still a good one. :laughter: