View RSS Feed

The Official (and Unofficial) Writer's Study Blog

MAARC LXII Winners!!!

Rate this Entry
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...13-d7rm2gs.png

MAARC LXI!
Congratulations to the winners!

MAARC LXII was nearly wiped from existence completely, it nearly became but a memory of a memory, a whisper of the past, a faceless old friend. But alas, with the power of screen grabbing technologies, one of our team most miraculously and diligently managed to capture the end vote. I’ll post the screenshots in an accompanying post in case there are any questions of authenticity but I hope you have enough faith in me (pffft corrupt, haven’t even heard of the word) and the rest of the Writers’ Study staff. Now, on to the most glorious winners.

In FIRST PLACE, with what I believe is not just his maiden win but maiden entry, is Zeion with his Europa Barbororum II AAR, The Chronicles of Cimmeria. It is the age of Antiquity, Rome tests her might against the tribes of Italia, the Greek states war like they have always done, Carthage rules the waves and Alexander’s successes bicker over the remnants of his empire as that empire dwindles as Hellenic might wanes. On a small peninsular that will one day be invaded by Putin, in a land beyond Scythia and on the edge of the known world, lies the Kingdom of Cimmeria, descendants of Greek colonisers and explorers. Separated from most of civilisation by the Black Sea, Cimmeria fights against Scythian tribes and often herself. But one king is destined to unite Cimmeria and his descendants to lead it to a new golden age. Destiny awaits the little kingdom to grasp with both hands. It is an understatement to say that Zeion’s AAR has been well received, with many readers waiting on his quill and ink to deliver them the next chapter in the saga of Cimmeria. Zeion blends campaign-driven AARs with history book AARs and sprinkles some narrative in to create a most satisfying and well loved read. I’d be most surprised if you hadn’t already dabbled in The Chronicles of Cimmeria but if not now is the time. I hope you join me in congratulating Zeion on his first (of many to come, may I add) win.

Under the sweltering sun of Haiti, Alwyn slaves away (actually that probably wasn’t the best phrase to use) producing his third AAR, Kite Pèp Mwen Ale which takes SECOND PLACE. Actually he probably writes sitting comfortably in a leather chair in a chic cafe in England sipping coffee from Haiti but the connection of writer to story is still there. Alwyn’s tale of the politics of Haiti, which stands on a cliff with slave rebellion threatening to push it over the edge, is an engrossing read to say the least. Not only does Alwyn set up an ominous rivalry between two nobles which you know can only end badly, he sets this against the backdrop of an island where slaves outnumber and envy the free and which only needs a spark to light the fuse to go BOOM!. Read my article in the CQ to see how much I love Alwyn’s latest AAR.

Rounding up the podium in his also debut podium place is TacticalStatsCarthage DEI, an AAR concerning Carthage in Antiquity using the acclaimed Rome 2 mod Divide et Impera, and takes this month’s THIRD PLACE. I must admit I myself haven’t read this AAR but from looking at the comments on it and reading the first chapter, it looks very promising indeed and is well-received by its readers. A sucker for Carthage (149 BC never forget), I think I am going to check this out quite soon indeed. Congratulations to TacticalStats’ for taking third place, a sign I think for things to come.

The submission thread, sadly not with all the submissions, can be found mourning the sudden disappearance of the vote thread here and well for the vote thread, it is lost to time.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

lmao@ 'a land that will one day be invaded by Putin' and 'Alwyn slaves away.' Congratulations to the winners!
    Too..many... puns... :run:

Congrats to all the winners and other entrants, hope to see you all back next month. :)