View RSS Feed

Swaeft

This Week's Lensation - 17/02/19 - 24/02/19

Rate this Entry

Welcome back to the Lensation! I'm in the process of working out a few things - there will be no more interviews posted here as interviews should be posted in Content Publications. I am looking to replace it with something else, but I am also thinking of simply sticking to commentary. Anyway, you let me worry about that, for now let's get down to the Weekly Wrap-up!

GPOTW 112 Commentary

The thread where you can see the submissions and vote is here - click me!

Submission 1: This is a breathtaking shot. The character in the picture is climbing a rock wall with nothing but his hands and feet. Set against this incredible if somewhat unbelievable shot (not the screenshot artist’s fault – I’ve played a few ACs myself and I know how you can climb literally anything) is a wonderful backdrop of rolling hills and a beautiful sunset with the Sun’s rays glinting off the water.

Submission 2: That's mine, skeeeep!

Submission 3: Two soldiers hunkering down behind a wall, ready to make their next move. The photo’s focus is on the soldiers and the wall, everything past the foreground is blurred out nicely to create some perspective. The sunlight looks great, but that wall isn’t so good for cover – anyone on the hill has a clean shot at the soldiers’ heads.

Submission 4: Ahh, a game I used to spend many hours on. Our character is dual wielding pistols (my favourite loadout by the way) and blasting away at them evil zombies. A car with its headlights on provides some light bloom, and the muzzle flash from the pistol on the left reflects nicely on the screenshot artist’s ability to capture a shot at the right time.

Submission 5: A thrilling shot. I’m not up to date with Spiderman these days, so I don’t know if that’s him, but that suit gives off a very menacing vibe, like some black ops dude on a classified mission. The scene is captured well at an angle, a good change from the center-high shots that we generally see, and the lighting is contrasting. The background is well fleshed out as well, but blurred, providing (similarly to submission 3) a different perspective.

Submission 6: Man, this is one scary monster. Our friend here takes up most of the shot, with an inferno for eyes and mouth, and cackling bolts of yellow energy sprouting from its hands and chest. A very ‘in your face’ kind of shot which projects a lot of force.

Submission 7: A submission which very much reminds me of a game I used to play – Real Space 2 on Miniclip.com back in the day. It’s graphics are obviously very dated, but there is no lack of action and space-yness!

Submission 8: Another submission with a tank, always good to see (I play War Thunder for the tanks, heh). The tank’s movement is creating ripples in the water, a shame about the red line (yes I’m looking at you too Medieval 2, you serial offender!), but I’m sure that couldn’t be helped.

Submission 9: A Skyrim shot! Very scenic, the character standing at the frontmost part of the ship, with a great body of water surrounding the immediate area and beyond. Another ship is also visible, adding some depth to this desolate looking area, which is full of craggy rock outcroppings and a few ice floes.

POTW 553 Commentary

The thread where you can see the submissions and vote is here - click me!

Submission 1: A brave horseman charging through the line of enemies and burning buildings. Arms outstretched, spear at the ready, this picture leaves a lot to our imagination as to what will happen next. Behind him, his comrades appear to be breaching the infantry line, as the enemies stumble and tumble around, a few already dead. A very intense shot.

Submission 2: Majority of the screenshot’s focus is on the soldier being illuminated by a torch, wearing a bear(?) helm of sorts. Some blood splatters suggest he’s been in combat, and disturbingly everyone behind him seems to be preparing to fight whilst facing in another direction. This picture gives me a ‘deep contemplation of impending doom’ sort of feels.

Submission 3: The desert trembles whilst hundreds of troops march onward under the blistering heat of the sun. The foreground is dominated by cavalry armed with very long lances, with the rest of the infantry marching beside and in front of them, and probably behind as well. In the background, an enemy army marches to meet them. Another photo of impending doom, one way or the other.

Submission 4: Mine again!

Submission 5: Roman soldiers brace for enemy combat in a very atmospheric and bleak shot. The actions of the soldiers – some waving swords, some facing the other side – also give me the feeling that they are facing their impending doom (this is me sounding repetitive, eh?), a last stand if you will.

Submission 6: A powerful cavalry charge with the sun behind them shatters the enemy infantry who are lightly armoured. This looks like something you would expect to see in a medieval movie. Very impactful and brutal.

Submission 7: A somewhat bright photo of men stoutly preparing for battle on board a ship. They look grim and hardened, and woe to people unfortunate enough to be their enemies. The background is empty save for a curious looking statue which adds something to the picture and helps to balance out the otherwise empty background, which is good.

Submission 8: Another glorious cavalry charge, this time in Warhammer land. Both sides are wearing purple, which is curious, but you can definitely tell one side from the other – just look at the undead looking horses and you’ll know who the good guys are The infantry have formed a solid looking shieldwall, and to me at least I don’t rate the chance of success of the cavalry highly at all, who are charging uphill to boot. Nevertheless, they look menacing and determined, which is exactly what this photo strikes me as a representation of.

And that's it for this week! This post is rather late - there's only a few hours left before the end of this week's competitions. Next week's post should be up with more time to spare.

Cheers
Swaeft

All photos were taken from pexels.com, and are completely free to use under their license.

Updated February 24, 2019 at 06:02 AM by Swaeft

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Appreciate your detailed comments - made me actually go and have a look, high definition picture collections take a while to load on my crappy connection so I am usually not eager, and #7 in POTW553 is obviously my favourite, after all it got my avatar in the background

The red line in M2TW that you mention will be the battle field border - some mods did remove them (simple alpha channel) but players had problems with it as they misjudged where that border would be and sometimes got thrashed by the AI because of that, hence removing\hiding it has never gotten popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus
    Appreciate your detailed comments - made me actually go and have a look, high definition picture collections take a while to load on my crappy connection so I am usually not eager, and #7 in POTW553 is obviously my favourite, after all it got my avatar in the background

The red line in M2TW that you mention will be the battle field border - some mods did remove them (simple alpha channel) but players had problems with it as they misjudged where that border would be and sometimes got thrashed by the AI because of that, hence removing\hiding it has never gotten popular.
    Hey, nice of you to drop by, Gigantus!

I'm glad you went to take a look, that is very much the purpose of this unofficial blog Cool, I didn't realize that was your avatar Oh, that red line always made me curse and swear when I couldn't catch the routing troops in time. It was painful just watching all my cavalry line up and stop and the red line while the enemy runs away laughing...or at least I imagine them laughing.